Professional Web Applications Themes

Mozilla Products - Mac Applications & Software

On Mozilla's home page they offer: Mozilla -> web browser, editing, news, email Firebird -> web browser Thunderbird -> news, email Camino -> web browwser Why so many "web browsers"? Why two stand alone "web browsers" Firebird & Camino? Is one better than the other (probably a loaded question)? Do all these "web browsers" work the same? Use the same bookmarks? Use the same preferences? -- -=[cwa]=- chris at cwaiken dot net www.cwaiken.net...

  1. #1

    Default Mozilla Products

    --
    -=[cwa]=-
    chris at cwaiken dot net

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mozilla Products

    There are different browsers for different purposes:

    Mozilla - everything *including* the kitchen sink. (Yes, there is (was)
    a way to see the kitchen sink in mozilla.) It is the gear head's browser
    and what I use on windows and linux. It is big and slow compared to the
    others here, but still lean and mean compared to IE for win32. Basically
    it has every possible thing added to it. The overall objective is to
    make it a platform for others to customise and make their own browsers.
    It's a technology demo. There are many other leaner and meaner browsers
    based on mozilla.

    Firebird - light and fast and based on mozilla. It's IMO the best
    browser for non-techie end users windows. One of the best (if not *the*
    best) on linux. It is amazingly fast and non-bloated. Puts IE in its
    place. The nightlies are way better than the current milestone which is
    0.61.

    Thunderbird - it's a mail client and newsgroup reader that uses mozilla
    technology, but with a lot of customisations an enhancements.

    Camino - My browser of choice on Mac OS X. Again it's based on mozilla.

    To to answer your questions ...

    Each browser is good for a different audience, as can be seen by my
    descriptions above. There are different groups which have branched
    mozilla and are customizing it based on their own ideals.

    For windows and linux, firebird is better. It's existed on those
    platforms for quite a while and is well tuned.

    For OS X, camino is better for the same reasons. (IMO it's also more
    'elegant' overall than firebird. It's part of the mac heritage I guess.)
    Of course there is no camino for linux or win32 as it uses cocoa.

    All the programs here use the same gecko rendering engine. They have the
    same overall framework but each one has lots of customisations and a
    distinct feel that makes them appropriate for different user groups.

    The different browsers use different bookmark setups. You can't
    necessarily export from one and import to another. There was a change
    around version 1.4 of mozilla that broke bookmark compatibility with
    older versions too. But basically if you pick a browser and stick with
    it, you should have no problems with importing bookmarks to laster
    versions. (Of course, read the license agreement ... there is no
    guarantee ;-)

    The preferences are certainly not portable between the different
    browsers. The firebird release notes caution you to nuke the whole
    directory before you install a new version so I doubt its preferences are
    portable between versions. Mozilla and Camino preferences are certainly
    portable between versions.

    Christopher W Aiken <net> wrote in news:chris-
    fu-berlin.de:

    Jucius Guest

  3. #3

    In article <212.134.7>, Jucius
    Maximus <graffiti.net> wrote:

    No thanks for OS X. Agreed, I use it on my Windows machine in place of
    IE.

    Nice and fast. It's still being polished and improved. Looking like the
    best option for that 2nd browser option on OS X. Development seemed to
    be quite active here.

    Once mine too. But the development seemed to be slow as a snail since
    Firebird and Safari came out. Don't see any reason to keep it around
    any more.... Into the Trash.

    For bookmark synchronization, I recommend Safari Bookmark Exporter. Of
    course, it works for me because I use Safari as the primarily machine
    where I organize all my bookmarks. But won't work the other way around.
    Yet there are more tedious manual solutions in the other directions.
    Whytoi Guest