Professional Web Applications Themes

MP3 player applications for Mac OS X 10.2 ?? - Mac Applications & Software

I currently use Audion 2 as my MP3 player of choice. But now it seems my playlists are too big and it refuses to open them, even if I create new ones. What other MP3 apps are out there? Suggestions? It seems iTunes has pretty much killed 3rd party mp3 player development. :( Why don't I use iTunes? Well, for one thing, it seems unable to work unless it copies music into the 'iTunes Library' in my home folder. But all my music is on an external firewire drive, I don't want it in my home folder! Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default MP3 player applications for Mac OS X 10.2 ??

    I currently use Audion 2 as my MP3 player of choice. But now it seems
    my playlists are too big and it refuses to open them, even if I create
    new ones.

    What other MP3 apps are out there? Suggestions? It seems iTunes has
    pretty much killed 3rd party mp3 player development. :(

    Why don't I use iTunes? Well, for one thing, it seems unable to work
    unless it copies music into the 'iTunes Library' in my home folder. But
    all my music is on an external firewire drive, I don't want it in my
    home folder!

    Thanks!
    Sean Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MP3 player applications for Mac OS X 10.2 ??

    In article <aei.ca>,
    Sean McBride <org> wrote:

    Here's an amazing trick: take a look at the Preferences on iTunes. Why?
    Because under the Advanced selection there's this little checkbox called
    "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library". And guess
    what happens if you uncheck the little box?

    --
    Hank Shiffman http://www.disordered.org
    Have Opinion, Will Travel org

  3. #3

    In article <aei.ca>,
    Sean McBride <org> wrote:

    Just turn off the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder" option in the
    Advanced preferences.

    Or change the "iTunes Music Folder Location" setting to have iTunes keep
    everything on your external hard drive.
    Wayne Guest

  4. #4

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    Hank Shiffman <org> wrote:

    Despite your sarcasm, your reply is appreciated. I had checked the prefs
    but missed that opnion obviously.

    IAC, I dislike iTunes for other reasons, and the topic of this post is
    not iTunes, but rather what MP3 apps are out there for 10.2 and still in
    active development?
    Sean Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:48:03 -0400, the skies darkened, thunder struck,
    and the words of Sean McBride echoed in our minds....

    <SNIP!>

    Well here's Tucows' listing:
    http://mac.tucows.com/mp3mac_default.html

    MacUpdates's listing:
    http://www.macupdate.com/multimedia.php?sub=2

    I don't use my Powerbook for playing audio files much, but I have toyed
    with Unsanity's Mint Audio. I like it for its compact design, but I
    can't tell you much else at the moment since I've used it so little.
    http://www.unsanity.com/mint/
    Just Guest

  6. #6

    Sean McBride <org> wrote:

    Gee, you say you don't use iTunes and state exactly one reason, and that
    reason is based on not knowing of a certain setting, so isn't it
    perfectly reasonable for people to inform you of that setting?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  7. #7

    Hank Shiffman <org> wrote:

    The amazingly stupid person who made this the default setting should be
    fired. Just as the one who came up with 'keep Music Folder Organized'.

    (I Installed OSX on a machine which already has 30 Gb of MP3's and
    switched on iTunes. It took me some time to discover why my machine was
    so slow, and my HD was spinning out of control)

    --
    beuh
    Marijn Guest

  8. #8

    In article <1g14wur.1gdbdth11hkhluN%nl>,
    nl (Marijn van der Waa) wrote:

    > The amazingly stupid person who made this the default setting should be
    > fired. Just as the one who came up with 'keep Music Folder Organized'.[/ref]

    That seems a bit harsh. Not everyone is as sophisticated as you would
    like us to believe you are.

    "Spinning out of control?" Do you mean that it jumped out of your
    machine and went racing down the hallway, as I once saw the drum of an
    IBM 650 do? Was anyone injured? The operator of the 650 received a
    fractured leg.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  9. #9

    On 2003-09-10 17:43:22 -0500, Sean McBride said:

    You really won't find an MP3 player as powerful and robust as iTunes, the only other option to iTunes is Audion, and as you stated, you've reached it's mass capacity.

    It's funny you say you don't like iTunes, it is the best MP3 player for very large libraries of songs. If you like Audion, and don't like iTunes, I'm guessing you don't like the Music Library Music Player concept, and instead prefer a more traditional "WinAmp" playlist player. Those players really are not made to have extremely huge libraries, they were designed with the concept that you would put different music in different playlists, to organize your music.

    If there are other problems you have with iTunes, please reply here with them, I would honestly like to hear about it. I'll be sure to pass them on through Apple's iTunes Feedback too :-)

    SWGS
    SWGS Guest

  10. #10

    In article <com>,
    SWGS <com> wrote:

    the browser needs to have user configurable columns, both titles and
    number of columns. genre/artist/album works for some types of music and
    does not work for others.

    it needs to have multiple libraries and/or be able to browse individual
    playlists. itunes slows down dramatically with a large amounts of
    music; multiple smaller libraries will help both the responsiveness and
    sorting the music.

    it does *not* deal well when music moves on disk, even when its just
    from one folder to another within the music folder itself. switching
    the default folder and consolidating does not always work either.

    it would be nice to restore the hierarchical view that soundjam had. it
    was similar to the finder's list view, where an artist and/or album
    could be collapsed to one line. this would also help managing large
    amounts of music.
    nospam Guest

  11. #11

    In article <110920032359026150%invalid>, nospam
    <invalid> wrote:

    > the browser needs to have user configurable columns, both titles and
    > number of columns.[/ref]

    Edit -> View Options

    See the little + button in the bottom left corner of the iTunes window?
    Click on it.

    Hmm, interesting -- I just rearranged my music several times lately,
    and didn't have any trouble. Though I'll admit it would be nice to
    have some kind of function to relocate missing songs en masse.

    Not familiar with the features of SoundJam, but have you tried Edit ->
    Show Browser in iTunes?

    Methinks you need to give iTunes more of a chance before dismissing it.

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Guest

  12. #12

    In article <120920031001578009%spam.me>, Thomas Reed
    <spam.me> wrote:

    > > the browser needs to have user configurable columns, both titles and
    > > number of columns.[/ref]
    >
    > Edit -> View Options[/ref]

    thats for the main list - i'm talking about the browser. right now its
    just artist/album with optional genre. classical music, for instance,
    would benefit by browsing by composer, not artist.

    > See the little + button in the bottom left corner of the iTunes window?
    > Click on it.[/ref]

    yes, that makes a new playlist. i mean multiple libraries because one
    cannot use the browser on a playlist and because itunes bogs down when
    the library is huge.

    > Not familiar with the features of SoundJam, but have you tried Edit ->
    > Show Browser in iTunes?[/ref]

    yes. see comments above regarding the browser limitations.

    methinks you need to reread my comments.
    nospam Guest

  13. #13

    nospam <invalid> writes:

    > > Edit -> View Options[/ref]
    >
    > thats for the main list - i'm talking about the browser. right now its
    > just artist/album with optional genre. classical music, for instance,
    > would benefit by browsing by composer, not artist.[/ref]

    You can also set view options for individual playlists. I don't show
    Composer for the library, but I do for my "Classical" playlist. It's
    easy to make a smart playlist for a genre.

    > > See the little + button in the bottom left corner of the iTunes window?
    > > Click on it.[/ref]
    >
    > yes, that makes a new playlist. i mean multiple libraries because one
    > cannot use the browser on a playlist and because itunes bogs down when
    > the library is huge.
    >[/ref]
    You can use the browser on a playlist. Just click on the playlist and only
    songs from that playlist show up in the browser. I can't comment on how
    iTunes performs when the library is huge as I only have 14GB.
    --
    Dale J. Stephenson
    com

  14. #14

    In article <com>, Dale J. Stephenson
    <com> wrote:

    clicking on a playlist causes the browser and the browse button to
    disappear, so i figured it was unavailable. after reading your post, i
    checked again, and i noticed the browse menu option was enabled. sure
    'nuff it works. learn sumthin new every day!

    now if the browser column titles could be user defined....
    nospam Guest

  15. #15

    In article <120920030942570032%invalid>,
    nospam <invalid> wrote:

    Please define the term "huge". I have over 50 megs of songs (that's
    over 10,000 MP3 files) and while iTunes is a BIT slow, it is nowhere
    near being "boged down"....and I'm using a G4/400...
    --
    Slartibartfast
    Winner of the prestigious "Fijords" award;

  16. #16

    the biggest problem... and one I've found no answer to yet... is that it
    doesn't allow access to more of the id3 tag fields. In particular it won't
    store ratings in them. That means if you have 20000 tracks all rated, as i
    used to, and for some reason have to reload the tracks into the library,
    everything is lost.

    Similarly playlist info should be kept safe, I feel.

    it would also be nice to get access to mood situation and preference fields
    that other apps ues.

    iTunes is beautifully simple, but take a look at Media Center on a PC if you
    want to see the best media app for large mp3 library management

    maxx Guest