Professional Web Applications Themes

MPEG movie can't convert to .mov! - Mac Applications & Software

I've got an MPEG movie that I ripped off a video CD using VCD Copy, and I want to convert it to a .mov file so that I can add it to a DVD. So I went and bought QuickTime Pro. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the job. When converting, the progress bar sticks about 4/5 of the way across, and only finishes after an EXTREMELY lengthy period of time. The resulting movie doesn't have any audio, just video. Yet QuickTime Player can play the MPEG, with audio, just fine, and could before I bought QuickTime Pro! I've also tried accessing ...

  1. #1

    Default MPEG movie can't convert to .mov!

    I've got an MPEG movie that I ripped off a video CD using VCD Copy, and
    I want to convert it to a .mov file so that I can add it to a DVD. So
    I went and bought QuickTime Pro. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the job.
    When converting, the progress bar sticks about 4/5 of the way across,
    and only finishes after an EXTREMELY lengthy period of time. The
    resulting movie doesn't have any audio, just video. Yet QuickTime
    Player can play the MPEG, with audio, just fine, and could before I
    bought QuickTime Pro!

    I've also tried accessing the video CD directly now that I have
    QuickTime Pro, hoping I could simply re-rip the video using QuickTime
    Pro, but it doesn't like the CD for whatever reason. Nothing I do
    convinces either QuickTime Player or DVD Player to play the CD.

    What's up, and how can I fix this problem? This was the primary reason
    I bought QuickTime Pro, so naturally I'm a bit ed at the money
    wasted with no result!

    --
    -Thomas

    e-mail me at thomasareed at philadelphia.net minus phil
    Thomas Reed Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MPEG movie can't convert to .mov!

    Thomas Reed wrote:

    > The
    > resulting movie doesn't have any audio, just video. Yet QuickTime
    > Player can play the MPEG, with audio, just fine, and could before I
    > bought QuickTime Pro!
    Use bbDEMUX to split it into audio and video first. Then use the
    "Add Scaled" command in QTPro to add the sound track to the video.
    George Williams Guest

  3. #3

    In article <130720031404420295%thomasareeddont.spam.me>, Thomas Reed
    <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > I've got an MPEG movie that I ripped off a video CD using VCD Copy, and
    > I want to convert it to a .mov file so that I can add it to a DVD. So
    > I went and bought QuickTime Pro. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the job.
    > When converting, the progress bar sticks about 4/5 of the way across,
    > and only finishes after an EXTREMELY lengthy period of time. The
    > resulting movie doesn't have any audio, just video. Yet QuickTime
    > Player can play the MPEG, with audio, just fine, and could before I
    > bought QuickTime Pro!
    >
    > I've also tried accessing the video CD directly now that I have
    > QuickTime Pro, hoping I could simply re-rip the video using QuickTime
    > Pro, but it doesn't like the CD for whatever reason. Nothing I do
    > convinces either QuickTime Player or DVD Player to play the CD.
    >
    > What's up, and how can I fix this problem? This was the primary reason
    > I bought QuickTime Pro, so naturally I'm a bit ed at the money
    > wasted with no result!
    Well, not to rub salt in the wound, but you could have done a little
    research first.

    The MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files used on VCD, SVCD, and DVD discs is a
    "muxed" (multiplexed) track where the audio and video are combined into
    a single track rather than existing on separate tracks. The Player can
    play it because it doesn't have to demux the tracks to do so, the
    playback codec deals with such matters. However, to convert the file to
    a .mov so that you can re-encode it, you need to separate the audio
    from the video. There are a number of tools -- freeware, shareware,
    and commercial -- that will do this for you. Freeware, you can use
    mpgtx or Missing MPEG Tools, but the latter will require you to
    actually read and understand the doentation. Shareware (my choice)
    offers ffmpegX.

    Once you've demuxed, you'll have two files: an m1v (video) and an mp2
    (audio). You're going to need to convert the mp2 to aiff or something
    similar, but iTunes can handle that chore (so can ffmpegX or
    MissingMPEG Tools, but they're more complicated). Once you've got the
    video and a supported audio format, use QT Pro to make a movie with the
    two tracks in parallel (hint: use the Add command in the Edit menu).

    Now, you'll have a .mov file that you can add to your DVD. Be aware
    that you probably won't like the quality much -- going from an
    effective resolution of 320x240 (VCD) to one of 640x480 (DVD) is not
    going to look too great.

    The reason you can't play the video directly from the CD with QT Player
    or Pro is that they use standard filesystem calls to read the data and
    a VCD is formatted Mode 2 Form 2 (2352 bytes/block) where a data CD has
    2048 bytes/block (called Mode 1 Form 1).

    You can find all this and more at [url]www.dvdrhelp.com[/url]. It's mostly
    Windows-oriented, but does have Mac sections and pointers.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  4. #4

    In article <130720031252509287%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>, sbt
    <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    > Once you've demuxed, you'll have two files: an m1v (video) and an mp2
    > (audio). [...] Once you've got the
    > video and a supported audio format, use QT Pro to make a movie with the
    > two tracks in parallel (hint: use the Add command in the Edit menu).
    Thanks a bunch for the help! I've now successfully gotten a .m1v and
    an AIFF, and have converted the .m1v to a .mov file. Unfortunately,
    the Add command is disabled, and nothing I can figure out enables it.
    I've tried opening both the .m1v and the .mov, and the Add command is
    not enabled for either of them. How do I do this?
    > Be aware
    > that you probably won't like the quality much
    Yeah, the quality s, but it's video of my kids and edited into a
    movie by my brother, so I definitely would like a "keeper" copy that
    works in my DVD player. (His video CD was a hassle to get working!)
    > You can find all this and more at [url]www.dvdrhelp.com[/url]. It's mostly
    > Windows-oriented, but does have Mac sections and pointers.
    Thanks, I'll check that site out!

  5. #5

    In article <130720032017597680%thomasareeddont.spam.me>, Thomas Reed
    <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > In article <130720031252509287%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>, sbt
    > <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > Once you've demuxed, you'll have two files: an m1v (video) and an mp2
    > > (audio). [...] Once you've got the
    > > video and a supported audio format, use QT Pro to make a movie with the
    > > two tracks in parallel (hint: use the Add command in the Edit menu).
    >
    > Thanks a bunch for the help! I've now successfully gotten a .m1v and
    > an AIFF, and have converted the .m1v to a .mov file. Unfortunately,
    > the Add command is disabled, and nothing I can figure out enables it.
    > I've tried opening both the .m1v and the .mov, and the Add command is
    > not enabled for either of them. How do I do this?

    Open both files, do a Select All on the audio track. Switch to the
    video file. Once you have something on the clipboard (copied), Add
    should be enabled. Make sure the playhead is set to the beginning so
    that the video and audio synchronize.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest