Professional Web Applications Themes

MRTG problem - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm trying to install MRTG and can get past cfgmaker. I'm using a D-Link DI-604 router. This part in particular... ============================= Cfgmaker creates MRTG configuration files based on infor- mation pulled from a router or another SNMP manageable device. communityrouter Community is the community name of the device you want to create a configuration for. If not specified, it defaults to 'public'; you might want to try this first if you do not know the community name of a device. If you are using the wrong comunity name you will get no response from the device. Router is the DNS ...

  1. #1

    Default MRTG problem

    =============================
    Cfgmaker creates MRTG configuration files based on infor-
    mation pulled from a router or another SNMP manageable
    device.

    communityrouter

    Community is the community name of the device you want to
    create a configuration for. If not specified, it defaults
    to 'public'; you might want to try this first if you do
    not know the community name of a device. If you are using
    the wrong comunity name you will get no response from the
    device.

    Router is the DNS name or the IP number of an SNMP-man-
    agable device.
    I have no idea what they want for a name and community or public doesn't
    work. I'm not sure what they mean by a DNS "name" either.

    For the router IP there are only two options, it's local address
    192.168.0.1
    or it's WAN IP 4.4.230.171

    None of these combos work and the utility bombs with an unable to query
    router error.

    I'm not real sure what they mean by "SNMP manageable" either.

    Any ideas :(
    Ron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MRTG problem

    In comp.os.linux.misc Ron Gibson <com> wrote:

    Are you sure this router supports SNMP? Sounds like some cheapo
    home stuff, but I might be wrong. Check the docs of your router.

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    I'll let you pick my brain here.

    I arent going to look that up.
    I will tell you about SNMP only.

    SNMP has two uses for the community name.
    1. to ask for read only permission, or to ask for read/ write permission.
    Yes, SNMP can write to the device, changing its configuration, on
    writable items.
    (statistics items arent writable).

    2. to act as a password.
    The default readonly community name/password is "public", and its often
    referred to as the public community .

    Although you probably have to turn SNMP on in the device, then set the
    community( password)

    If your router is known only by ip address 192.168.1.254 , and you set the
    read only snmp community to be called "j55hgjjj" and of course left the
    writeable SNMP community disabled, then you would tell cfgmaker t scan "
    168.1.254"

    well, " www.microsoft.com " is a DNS name. SNMP is meant to be for
    professional services, and so would be expected to be used with routers that
    had DNS names.... (because the enterprise has a domain name and a DNS
    server, and a competent network administrator )

    you would use its local IP address.

    That just means that it talks SNMP, and you turned it on in the router
    config system (web page, windows application, or telnet to the box )

    Clearly you have no idea what SNMP is.
    why didnt you read MRTG's "what is SNMP ? " doco, or links to such doco ?

    Leon. Guest

  4. #4

    Thu, 27 Nov 2003 03:34:31 UTC, "Leon." <net> Noted:

    Because the first task was to determine whether SNMP was a property of
    certain routers and that wasn't referenced.

    It turns out that answer is yes and mine doesn't do it (or have a
    settings page for it).

    Clearly you had no idea what I was asking. Why didn't you read closer?

    Ron Guest

  5. #5

    "Ron Gibson" <com> wrote in message
    news:.. [/ref]

    If you do not have the SNMP settings page and it should be there according
    to the manual, you're OOL. Start arguing with the vendor of the crippled
    box, not us.

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio iki fi

    Tauno Guest

  6. #6

    Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:08:42 UTC, "Tauno Voipio"
    <fi.NOSPAM.invalid> Noted:

    Damn there are some stupid asses in here. There are multiple versions
    for brains.

    My manual and revision correspond exactly.

    Is that simple enough or do I need to use smaller words for smaller
    minds.

    This is a case where the RTFM idiots need to taste their own vitriol.

    Link to my manual...

    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di604_revE1/Manual/di604_manual_205.zip

    Read it yourself clown.

    Ron Guest

  7. #7

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:47:57 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

     [/ref]

    [snip further vitriol]

    Honestly, do you have /no/ idea how utterly self-defeating this attitude
    is? I don't know the first thing about SNMP, but even if I did, you are
    just about the /last/ person to whom I would offer assistance.

    Breathe and reboot, and try proceeding from the assumption that people
    are honestly mistaken, rather than deliberately malicious. This is not
    Joe Luser complaining about "tha broken Intarweb", after all.

    Ed Guest

  8. #8

    Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:15:33 UTC, Ed Murphy <rr.com> Noted:

    Read the thread. It starts with a perfectly polite question and the
    "RTFM" idiots proceed with their circle . They are so ignorant they
    reply with answers from the wrong model that wasn't even part of the
    question.

    Then tell me to read my manual and it's sitting in PDF form on my
    drive??? Give me a break. That condescending stupidity.

    I've used Linux for years and in the last 3 years we have been
    inundated with these morons.

    Another one is "Try Google"

    How in the hell does anything ever make Google if everyone says try
    Google?

    People can do two *reasonable* things.

    Answer the question or shut their piehole and not waste bandwidth
    pontificating.

    Now if you don't know the answer which seems the more logical option?

    But no, instead they answer a question not asked???

    That's just plain stupid. How else can you describe it?

    I've provided many answers over the years to others and frankly it's my
    way of protesting the pencil necked geeks that wanna be important.

    And you do have an option. If you don't like it, hit the next article
    button.

    I have an option too. When replied to by moronic responses I can
    respond in kind or ratchet up the level of obnoxiousness. Or I can not
    respond at all.

    I prefer to call a a when I see one. You have a optimistic
    view of USENET. It is overwhelmed with this type of .

    Ron Guest

  9. #9

    In comp.os.linux.misc Ron Gibson <com>
    wrote:

    Spend a lot of time admiring yourself in the mirror?

    ynotssor Guest

  10. #10

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:54:33 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    [snip lots of ranting]

    I hope it feels *so* good to be right. There's nothing more exhilarating
    than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?

    Ed Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ron Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ron Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    ynotssor Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ron Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #15

    > I found my answer.[/ref]

    Good, you're learning. I knew you could do it if you put your mind to it.

    ynotssor Guest