Professional Web Applications Themes

MS Access Database not detected - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I am trying to create a user authentication system. I have put a Microsoft Access database containing the login information in the site folder. When I try assigning server behaviours to the login page, my database does not appear in the window. How do I make the database useable? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default MS Access Database not detected

    JMM1028 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MS Access Database not detected

    What server model are you using? Have you tried creating an ODBC binding
    to your MS access database? Simply putting the Access database in the
    site folder is not going to allow Dreamweaver to know that the database
    is available for connections, nor how to connect to it. Also, I don't
    recommend keeping it there in case you accidentally upload it to your
    host into a public directory. It would allow anyone to directly download
    your whole database.

    -- Mike

    "JMM1028" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I am trying to create a user authentication system. I have put a
    > Microsoft Access database containing the login information in the
    > site folder. When I try assigning server behaviours to the login
    > page, my database does not appear in the window. How do I make the
    > database useable?
    >
    > Thanks.

    MLangner-MMTS Guest

  3. #3

    Ok, but what server model are you using? ASP? ColdFusion? You can
    already get this set up so long as you know how to create an ODBC
    datasource and have a web server on your PC capable of processing a
    server-side language.

    -- Mike

    MLangner-MMTS Guest

  4. #4

    Another way to phrase what Mike called a 'server model' might be 'scripting
    language'. If you do not yet know what server model / language (i.e. ASP,
    PHP, Cold Fusion, etc.) you will use, you cannot begin to build any web
    pages that will interact with your database.

    You could go ahead and pick one that you feel comfortable with learning and
    start working on your site. You then pick a hosting service that supports
    your selected server model. It should be easy to find a web host that will
    support your server model regardless of which one you select.

    Once you have selected a server model, people here can assist you with
    creating your user authentication system. Remember, step one in the critical
    path toward building your system is selecting a server model.

    "JMM1028" <com> wrote in message
    it myself. I will be using a hosting service, and I do not yet know which
    one I am going to use; therfore I don't know anything about the server yet.

    Les Guest

  5. #5

    I will most likely be using ASP with a Microsoft Access database.

    JMM1028 Guest