Professional Web Applications Themes

MS Access with Mysql link table connection failed - Coldfusion Database Access

CF error: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--connection to 'ProdTracking' failed. In our MS access table we have a "link table" to the MySql database on a Linux box. We have tested the MySql server by using MS access through MYODBC link table to get to the database on the MySql server and it works. We have tested the MySql server by using a SQL query to the MySql database and it works. The middleware we are using is: MyODBC 3.5.1.11 We have installed the HotFix SequeLink driver 5.4 The app was working on Friday and the only ...

  1. #1

    Default MS Access with Mysql link table connection failed

    CF error:
    [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft
    Access Driver] ODBC--connection to 'ProdTracking' failed.

    In our MS access table we have a "link table" to the MySql database on a Linux
    box.
    We have tested the MySql server by using MS access through MYODBC link table
    to get to the database on the MySql
    server and it works.
    We have tested the MySql server by using a SQL query to the MySql database and
    it works.

    The middleware we are using is: MyODBC 3.5.1.11

    We have installed the HotFix SequeLink driver 5.4

    The app was working on Friday and the only thing that was done to the server
    was MS Critical updates. On Monday, the app
    refused to work giving the error above.

    Part of the same MS access database uses links to a FoxPro database and this
    part of the app works. Another part CF app accesses the same table that was
    linked inside the access database but is being accessed directly through CF
    MySql
    driver and this part of the app works as well.

    The only part of the app that does not work is where the CF app is trying to
    access the table via a link table inside of the MS
    access database.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance

    pelhughes Guest

  2. #2

    I have never been able to do this. I'm using Access to link to MSSQL, and I
    tried
    just out of curiosity but didn't follow up much. I figured it was a security
    issue because
    you're allowing a non secured DB (Access) to connect to secured DB (MSSQL),
    which
    was fine as long as it was thru Access itself. To allow another ODBC
    connection to
    connect to Access and thus linked tables seemed a security breach to me. Maybe
    the
    critical update did something. Out of curiosity, why are you connecting to a
    linked
    MYSQL table via Access instead of connect directly to the MySQL DB? It must be
    really slow.

    OldCFer Guest

  3. #3

    >> Out of curiosity, why are you connecting to a linked MYSQL table via Access
    instead of connect directly to the MySQL DB? It must be really slow. <<

    Larry,
    The reason why we've done this was because we have already developed an
    application in MS Access, and have many stored query in the DB. Linking the
    tables stored in our MySQL DB was a quick solution at that time. Yes, this is
    slow for our application, but was our quickest solution at that time. It worked
    for over a year.

    I just found out that the MS Critical updates was installed after the
    connection failure, so that voids our original assumption that the updates
    might have caused this failure.

    We have fought this for almost 3 days already, and have no choice but to
    migrate the MS Access DB to MySQL.

    We still like to find a fix for ithe ODBC connection failure.

    If anyone has any suggestions, we?ll greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you

    pelhughes Guest

  4. #4

    Probably your MYSQL database does not allow remote connections. Enable that on the linux box and you will be fine. Use %'s if you have dynamic IP addresses. You can also just use % to allow a connection from ANY IP address. Not as secure and not recommended.

    10.10.2.%
    or
    192.168.%.%
    or
    %

    Your IT department will know what I mean. There is a specific command you can run to allow remote connections for an already existing user.

    Here are a couple of scripts you can run from the linux command prompt after you have loaded the MySQL database:

    (Connect to the database from the command prompt)
    $ mysql -u [username] -p [password]

    To setup on a database level:
    mysql> update db set Host='202.54.10.20' where Db='webdb';

    Or to setup on a user level:
    mysql> update user set Host='202.54.10.20' where user='webadmin';
    Unregistered Guest