Professional Web Applications Themes

MS Critical Update #822925 Breaks Visual Studio .NET - ASP.NET General

umh? looks like we have been stung with the same issue, re. my post "Server Application Unavailable!!" I have a support call logged with MS but that could take hours! But if I sort it I'll let you know :-) Regards Andy   it is apparently  ASP.NET web  to communicate with a  am using Windows XP  the following error  debugging on the web  HTTP request.  there are no syntax  Debugging.  Application Unavailable"  installed, everything  and still have ...

  1. #1

    Default MS Critical Update #822925 Breaks Visual Studio .NET

    umh?

    looks like we have been stung with the same issue, re. my
    post "Server Application Unavailable!!"

    I have a support call logged with MS but that could take
    hours! But if I sort it I'll let you know :-)

    Regards

    Andy

    it is apparently
    ASP.NET web
    to communicate with a
    am using Windows XP
    the following error
    debugging on the web
    HTTP request.
    there are no syntax
    Debugging.
    Application Unavailable"
    installed, everything
    and still have
    Andy Guest

  2. #2

    Try changin userName attribute to SYSTEM in the <processModel> section of
    the Machine.config file

    --
    Regards,

    Yusuf D M

    "Paul M. Frazier, Ph.D." <com> wrote in message

    XP
    error
    Unavailable"
    everything

    Yusuf Guest

  3. #3

    where did you get this update, if it came in the mail then its a virus
    probably !!

    --
    Regards - One Handed Man

    Author : Fish .NET & Keep .NET

    ==============================
    "Paul M. Frazier, Ph.D." <com> wrote in message

    XP
    error
    Unavailable"
    everything

    One Guest

  4. #4

    Not throught e-mail, via Windows Update

    then its a virus
    <com> wrote in message [/ref]
    and it is apparently [/ref]
    ASP.NET web [/ref]
    to communicate with [/ref]
    I am using Windows [/ref]
    get the following [/ref]
    debugging on the web [/ref]
    HTTP request. [/ref]
    there are no syntax [/ref]
    Debugging. [/ref]
    Application [/ref]
    installed, [/ref]
    patch and still have

    >.
    >[/ref]
    Andy Guest

  5. #5

    Actually, I could not find this on the MS Site but I received notification
    through autoupdate today. Please let us know how you go on as I wont load
    this untill I get more feeback

    --
    Regards - One Handed Man

    Author : Fish .NET & Keep .NET

    ==============================
    "One Handed Man" <terry_burnsREMOVE%FOR%NO%com> wrote in
    message news:phx.gbl...
    message [/ref]
    apparently [/ref]
    with
    > XP
    > error
    > Unavailable"
    > everything
    >
    >[/ref]

    One Guest

  6. #6

    I believe it is strictly an IIS/ASP.NET/#822925 issue. I am getting
    the same error regardless of whether I use VS.NET or not. Normally I
    use Automatic Updates, but I heard of two new advisories today and so
    went to the Windows Update site.

    I installed two patches: one was the IE overhaul, the other an MDAC
    update.

    At this point I have no resolution to the problem, but am getting the
    same error as you. Note that, contrary to the error message, there is
    NO entry in any of my event logs, or server log files.

    DinDin Guest

  7. #7

    Here's a way to fix this. It does NOT require a reboot.
    And it does NOT drastically reduce security as the other,
    albeit useful, fix does.

    SOLUTION (for now):

    PROBLEM: The ASP.NET process runs under the "ASPNET"
    local user account. After installing the updates, it is
    required that the ASP.NET process have read access to the
    folder:
    \Doents And Settings\LocalService\Local
    Settings\Temporary Internet Files

    I don't know why it needs those rights, or if it will in
    the future, but for now, here's the fix.

    SOLUTION:
    1. Yes, you can have the ASP.NET process run as SYSTEM,
    but this is a SERIOUS security issue.
    2. Better, and simpler, is to give the ASPNET account the
    permissions it requires. Below I will outline how to
    implement this.

    FIX:
    1. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to
    \Doents and Settings
    2. If the "LocalService" directory is NOT visible, you
    need to choose "Folder Options" from the "Tools" menu.
    Then you need to ensure that under the "View" tab,
    protected OS files are NOT hidden!
    3. Continue on to
    \Doents and Settings\LocalService
    4. Right-click on the "Local Settings" folder, then
    select "Sharing and Security".
    5. In the "Security" tab, "Add" the "ASPNET" user, and
    make sure it has "Read" and "List Folder Contents"
    permissions.
    6. "Apply", "OK", .... etc until all windows closed.
    7. That's it.

    it is apparently
    ASP.NET web
    to communicate with a
    am using Windows XP
    the following error
    debugging on the web
    HTTP request.
    there are no syntax
    Debugging.
    Application Unavailable"
    installed, everything
    and still have
    GOOD Guest

  8. #8

    Have a look at the following thread

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Server+Application+Unavailable&hl=en&lr=& ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=z32BRw6ZDHA.2412%40cpmsftngxa06.p hx.gbl&rnum=8

    Greg Guest

  9. #9

    "Paul M. Frazier, Ph.D." <com> wrote

    Paul,
    Based on the following doent:
    http://gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/whitepapers/_Toc31512956

    It could be one of the following causes:

    Cause 1:
    Your web application doesn't have an Application name. Please check the
    properties of the web project using the IIS MMC to ensure that your web
    project has an application name

    Cause 2:
    If you are using the NTFS file format, please make sure that "aspnet" has
    proper privilege on "wwwroot" or your folder for virtual directory to
    access and write on the folders.

    --

    Thanks,
    Carl Prothman

    Carl Guest

  10. #10

    GOOD SOLUTION wrote:

    This one didn't work for me, unfortunately. Running the process as SYSTEM
    does. This is only my local development machine, so I guess I'll leave it
    that way until more info is available.

    --

    Peter Palmieri

    Peter Guest

  11. #11

    Taking the step Yusuf recommends will enable ASP.NET
    applications to run again, but it does so at a cost: by
    doing this you are allowing ASP.NET applications to run
    on the SYSTEM account, which has very elevated
    permissions. This significantly reduces your web server's
    security, so it can't be considered a viable solution.

    The fact that Yusuf's proposal works at all seems to
    demonstrate that the problem has to do with the ASP.NET
    machine account's permissions. I expect that in patching
    IE's security Microsoft have accidentally locked the
    ASP.NET account out of some file or folder to which it
    needs access.

    The question is then which file or folder this is. I have
    tried granting read permission to the \Doents And
    Settings\LocalService\Local
    Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder, as recommended
    earlier in this thread, but that didn't work. I have also
    checked that the ASP.NET machine account has all the
    permissions mentioned in MS KB article 811320, but still
    it doesn't work.

    Does anyone out there know which other permissions the
    ASP.NET machine account needs?

    Thanks,
    Richard.

    <processModel> section of
    <com> wrote in message [/ref]
    and it is apparently [/ref]
    ASP.NET web [/ref]
    to communicate with [/ref]
    I am using Windows [/ref]
    get the following [/ref]
    debugging on the web [/ref]
    HTTP request. [/ref]
    there are no syntax [/ref]
    Debugging. [/ref]
    Application [/ref]
    installed, [/ref]
    patch and still have

    >.
    >[/ref]
    Richard Guest

  12. #12

    > Based on the following doent:

    Correction:
    http://gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/whitepapers/howtosolvedebuggerproblems.doc

    Carl Guest

  13. #13

    "Richard C" <com> wrote in message

    Perhaps someone with the problem could turn on audits on object access
    failure?
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer

    John Guest

    Author : Fish .NET & Keep .NET

    ==============================
    "Paul M. Frazier, Ph.D." <com> wrote in message

    XP
    error
    Unavailable"
    everything

    Chris Guest

  15. #15

    Are people seeing this problem both in Framework 1.1 and 1.0? What SPs are
    you using and which OS?

    I installed the patch last night on WXP PRO SP1 running Framework version
    1.0.3705.0 and did NOT experience the problem. I still have <processModel
    userName="machine" />.
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer

    John Guest

  16. #16

    John Saunders wrote:
    || Are people seeing this problem both in Framework 1.1 and 1.0? What
    || SPs are you using and which OS?
    || I installed the patch last night on WXP PRO SP1 running Framework
    || version
    || 1.0.3705.0 and did NOT experience the problem. I still have
    || <processModel userName="machine" />.
    || --
    || John Saunders
    || Internet Engineer
    || com

    No problems here too, running 1.0 and 1.1 on XP Prof. SP1 and W2K3.

    Willy.

    Willy Guest

  17. #17

    "Willy Denoyette [MVP]" <be> wrote in message news:<phx.gbl>...

    We had the problem here at work and MS support suggested the
    following:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q306/0/05.asp&NoWebContent=1

    This has fixed our problem. Good luck.

    -Ben
    Ben Guest

  18. #18

    Hi

    If this is being caused by a security problem why when I
    turn on Object Access Auditing does nothing get added to
    the Event Log???

    Regards

    Andy

    it is apparently
    ASP.NET web
    to communicate with a
    am using Windows XP
    the following error
    debugging on the web
    HTTP request.
    there are no syntax
    Debugging.
    Application Unavailable"
    installed, everything
    and still have
    Andy Guest

  19. #19

    Ben wrote:
    || "Willy Denoyette [MVP]" <be> wrote in
    || message news:<phx.gbl>...
    ||| No problems here too, running 1.0 and 1.1 on XP Prof. SP1 and W2K3.
    ||| Willy.
    || We had the problem here at work and MS support suggested the
    || following:
    || http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q306/0/05.asp&NoWebContent=1
    || This has fixed our problem. Good luck.
    || -Ben

    That explains why I didn't encounter the problem, I always register the correct version of ASP.NET when switching from v1.0 to 1.1.

    Willy.

    Willy Guest

  20. #20

    Hi Paul,

    The Server Application Unavailable issue you are seeing right now is related
    to an issue with the latest IE security patch on Windows XP Pro and IIS 5.1
    when using ASP.NET v1.0.

    This page below has a description of the problem, as well as a workaround
    you can
    apply immediately:

    http://www.asp.net/faq/ms03-32-Issue.aspx

    Thanks,

    Scott

    "Paul M. Frazier, Ph.D." <com> wrote in message
    have [/ref]
    > apparently [/ref]
    > with a [/ref][/ref]
    Windows [/ref]
    > error [/ref][/ref]
    web [/ref][/ref]
    syntax

    > > Paul,
    > > Based on the following doent:
    > > http://gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/whitepapers/_Toc31512956
    > >
    > > It could be one of the following causes:
    > >
    > > Cause 1:
    > > Your web application doesn't have an Application name. Please check the
    > > properties of the web project using the IIS MMC to ensure that your web
    > > project has an application name
    > >
    > > Cause 2:
    > > If you are using the NTFS file format, please make sure that "aspnet"[/ref][/ref]
    has

    >[/ref]

    Scott Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast