Professional Web Applications Themes

MS Exchange server on FreeBSD? - FreeBSD

Hi, I would like to run an MS exchange server. But I am not at all willing to set up an MS box at all. As I know I could run something like VMware virtual server or Wine, but I do not know if such an combination would be stable (sopken in terms of windows stability). The next consideration would be the performance of the overal setup. Any hints or suggenstions would be great. thx Christian...

  1. #1

    Default MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

    Hi,
    I would like to run an MS exchange server. But I am not at all willing
    to set up an MS box at all. As I know I could run something like VMware
    virtual server or Wine, but I do not know if such an combination would
    be stable (sopken in terms of windows stability). The next consideration
    would be the performance of the overal setup.

    Any hints or suggenstions would be great.

    thx

    Christian
    Christian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

    I really doubt that it is possible. I would look at OpenExhange:
    http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/

    Ryan Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 08:06, Christian Tischler wrote:

    I have never heard of anyone using Exchange on a non-Windows machine,
    and I can't see much point. The license fee for Exchange swamps the OS
    license. I expect you could run VMWare with Windows as a guest OS, but
    for something as critical as your mail server, I would dedicate a
    Windows machine to it. I doubt it would work with WINE.

    Basically, if you have to hold your nose to run Exchange, you may as
    well hold it a little tighter and run Windows. If not, look at
    FreeBSD/Sendmail-or-Postfix/Evolution as a very reliable mail service.

    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    Mike Jeays wrote:

    Indeed. Anyway, if you're running VMWare with Windows inside it, you
    *are* running Windows, are you not? You're just not dedicating your
    hardware to it. For a monster like Exchange, I'd probably want to
    dedicate hardware (just my prefs -- unruly beasts should be isolated).

    South Central Library System (SCLS)
    Library Interchange Network (LINK)
    <gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348
    Greg Guest

  5. #5

    Am Freitag, 18. März 2005 14:06 schrieb Christian Tischler:

    ??? Windows is a really good, well maintained standardized and secure pieceof
    software compared to Exchange. I can't imagine why someone is even
    considering exchange when he knows about FreeBSD and it's programs.
    Maybe you are not aware that exchange e.g. doesn't work without
    ActiveDirecotry? Make you and the rest of the email connected world a favour
    and don't polute the net with another exchange!

    -Harry

    Emanuel Guest

  6. #6

    Default [OT] Re: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

     [/ref]

    As someone who has inhereted an Exchange server I have a few hints for you.

    1 Run Exchange on a Dedicated Windows Server (2000 or 2003). Do not fiddle
    with VMware or Wine. You are going to need a license for Windows to run
    Exchange under VMware (or bochs). You are probably going to need a license
    of Windows to run it under wine (if that is even possible). In any case,
    you will lose stability if you don't dedicate a system to Windows.

    2 You need to keep the disk where Exchange stores its mail database at
    least 55% free or Exchange will not work properly. This is because you
    need to periodically rebuild the Exchange database to keep performance
    tollerable. Also when mail is deleted in an exchange mail store, it is not
    actually deleted but just marked for deletion. You need to take the mail
    store offline (so nobody can access their mailbox) periodically and run a
    tool to purge the deleted items. This takes hours on any decent sized mail
    system. When this happens it creates temporary files roughly 110% the size
    of the mail store.

    3 Exchange is a pig. You would be best to have another Windows system
    running Active Directory to support your Exchange server. If you are
    thinking of using the Active Directory emulation available in Samba,
    forget it. Exchange changes the structure of the Active Directory when it
    is installed. You need a real Active Directory server.

    4 On the topic of Exchange being a pig; you should set up a couple of
    FreeBSD systems that act as your MX hosts for inbound e-mail. Put
    something like Postfix or Exim (or any other smtp software you like) on
    there and setup at least simple spam filtering (even if it is just RBLs).
    Have these Postfix (or exim) system feed mail to your Exchange server.
    There are articles on the Web about how to get Postfix to check the
    validity of recipients against an Exchange server so you can bounce bogus
    mail at the border if you want. You could also have this system do the
    virus scanning (again numerous articles are available).

    5 Exchange does an enormous amount of logging so those disks are going to
    fill up quickly. You need to run special tools before you delete the logs
    or you run the risk of not being able to recover your mail database in the
    event of catastrophic failure. Read over item 3 again, the process is
    similar.

    6 Exchange shuts down when the disk that holds the mail store is 90% full.
    It will not restart until you free up some disk space. If you reach this
    situation you probably aren't following point 5 or point 3 enough.

    7 Familiarize yourself with
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;313184&spid=1760&sid=global
    you are going to be reading it (and related sites) a lot.

    8 Unless you have users demanding shared calendars and automatic meeting
    scheduling, try to find a solution other than Exchange. I'm partial to
    Postfix, Courier-IMAP, OpenLDAP, SquirrelMail.

    --
    Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org

    Ean Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: [OT] Re: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

    That is truly one of the most disturbing things I've ever read (about
    technology, anyway). Must be careful not to frighten small children, or
    all but the most experienced sysamins, with that one.

    Tom

    Tom Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:45:25AM -0500, Ean Kingston wrote: [/ref]

> [...]
    > fill up quickly. You need to run special tools before you delete the logs
    > or you run the risk of not being able to recover your mail database in the
    > event of catastrophic failure. Read over item 3 again, the process is
    > similar.
    >
    > 6 Exchange shuts down when the disk that holds the mail store is 90% full.
    > It will not restart until you free up some disk space. If you reach this
    > situation you probably aren't following point 5 or point 3 enough.
    >
    > 7 Familiarize yourself with
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;313184&spid=1760&sid=global
    > you are going to be reading it (and related sites) a lot.
    >
    > 8 Unless you have users demanding shared calendars and automatic meeting
    > scheduling, try to find a solution other than Exchange. I'm partial to
    > Postfix, Courier-IMAP, OpenLDAP, SquirrelMail.

    Don't you all want to at least mention Open Groupware?

    http://www.opengroupware.org/

    I have never used it, which is why I have not said anything 'til now -
    I was hoping someone with some experience would jump in.
    AFAIK, this is coming long, and the base code is free, but some
    of the plugins you may need to support certain clinets (including
    Outlook?) may have a cost associated with them, directly or in
    getting needed support.

    Check it out - I don't mean to lead you down a rat hole, but you
    may find something of value there!

    I'm going to try it as soon as I get some free time... (YEAH, RIGHT!!!)
    --

    John Lind
    MN.ORG

  9. #9

    > Don't you all want to at least mention Open Groupware?

    How about something that supports MySQL?

    --
    Chris.

    Chris Guest

  10. #10

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:11:24 +0200, Chris Knipe <za.org> wrote:

    > How about something that supports MySQL?
    >[/ref]

    why use MySQL when it supports a much more robust solution like PostgreSQL?
    -p

    --
    ~~o0OO0o~~
    Pete Wright

  11. #11

    I was mentioned in the first reply i think:
    ------------------
    From: Ryan J. Cavicchioni <net>
    Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:06:32 -0600

    -------------------

    --
    ~~o0OO0o~~
    Pete Wright

  12. #12

    Ean Kingston wrote:
     [/ref]

    >As someone who has inhereted an Exchange server I have a few hints for you.
    >
    >1 Run Exchange on a Dedicated Windows Server (2000 or 2003). Do not fiddle
    >with VMware or Wine. You are going to need a license for Windows to run
    >Exchange under VMware (or bochs). You are probably going to need a license
    >of Windows to run it under wine (if that is even possible). In any case,
    >you will lose stability if you don't dedicate a system to Windows.
    >
    >2 You need to keep the disk where Exchange stores its mail database at
    >least 55% free or Exchange will not work properly. This is because you
    >need to periodically rebuild the Exchange database to keep performance
    >tollerable. Also when mail is deleted in an exchange mail store, it is not
    >actually deleted but just marked for deletion. You need to take the mail
    >store offline (so nobody can access their mailbox) periodically and run a
    >tool to purge the deleted items. This takes hours on any decent sized mail
    >system. When this happens it creates temporary files roughly 110% the size
    >of the mail store.
    >[/ref]
    [etc.]

    As someone who used to administer and Exchange Server, I agree.
    It is a serious pain, and requires constant handholding.

    I know someone who _loves_ Scalix (http://www.scalix.com). It's an
    Exchange replacement that runs on Linux (and maybe FreeBSD),
    but that's all I know about it. If you need to support Outlook clients,
    it might work for you, and it's probably cheaper than Exchange.

    - Bob

    Bob Guest

  13. #13

    Christian Tischler writes:

    Microsoft Exchange Server runs only on Windows server operating systems.

    Buy a server version of Windows, or choose a different messaging system.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  14. #14

    Emanuel Strobl writes:

    Exchange is the best choice for intra-organizational e-mail on
    relatively homogenous internal networks. The many features of Exchange
    provide a great many relevant and useful advantages in this type of
    environment.

    For heterogenous networks and ISPs, Exchange is a poor choice, because
    most users won't be able to profit from it, and because it is very
    difficult to implement when many machines in a network are non-Windows
    (and the Exchange servers themselves _must_ run Windows).

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  15. #15

    I have had excellent results with Novell GroupWise.

    --Nick

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:44:36 +0100, Anthony Atkielski
    <fr> wrote:

    > Exchange is the best choice for intra-organizational e-mail on
    > relatively homogenous internal networks. The many features of Exchange
    > provide a great many relevant and useful advantages in this type of
    > environment.
    >
    > For heterogenous networks and ISPs, Exchange is a poor choice, because
    > most users won't be able to profit from it, and because it is very
    > difficult to implement when many machines in a network are non-Windows
    > (and the Exchange servers themselves _must_ run Windows).
    >
    > --
    > Anthony

    Nick Guest

  16. #16

    Nick Pavlica writes:

    Groupware is fine if you need other functions more than e-mail, but for
    an organization interested primarily or exclusively in messaging,
    Exchange is the best choice.

    For example, Lotus Notes (like Groupwise, IIRC) is primarily a data
    manager with a few messaging functions. Exchange is a messaging system
    with a few data-management functions. Most organizations need e-mail
    more than anything else (even though many manage to delude themselves
    into believing otherwise), which is why Exchange is often a good choice.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  17. #17

    Not really true unless you do an apples to oranges comparison. Exchange
    has lots of benefits against a simple Sendmail+popper UNIX mailserver.
    However, a fully tricked-out UNIX mail server can be configured to have
    just as many additional 'advantages' that an Exchange server has.

    Exchange is popular simply because many corporations bought into
    NT4, and 2000 server, and were looking for a way to use their existing
    file and print servers to handle e-mail. Buying Exchange was seen
    as a cheaper way to get a mailserver than to go out and setup a
    new server running UNIX. And keep in mind that the only serious
    coompetitor in Windows mailserver server software was Netscape and
    we know what happened to them.

    Not true any longer. The latest Exchange versions have good support for
    non-Windows systems.

    However Exchange makes a poor choice for ISP's because
    ISP's deal in a far higher volume of e-mail and of mailboxes than
    Exchange
    server is designed for. Even the smallest ISP's can easily do a thousand
    mailboxes, and a thousand mailboxes is considered a pretty large
    Enterprise
    installation for an Exchange server. (by everybody other than
    Microsoft's
    marketing departments, of course) Licensing for the volumes of clients
    that
    ISP's run is cost-prohibitive espically considering so many ISPs are
    giving
    out mailboxes for free.

    Ted

    Ted Guest

  18. #18

    Thanks for all the replies. I will take a look at the, more or less,
    open solutions. I never intended to use the MS exchange as my primary
    mail server. But its functionality for syncinig calenders, doents and
    so on, seemed to a "nice" "simple" way of dealing with my situation
    here. I have to admit, that I never used a windows server, and thought
    it should be fairly easy. Now by looking at your submissions, and the
    docs, which tend to give me headaches, I realize that an Free BSD
    solution must be found to get the job done.

    thx again for all your advice

    Christian
    Christian Guest

  19. #19

    Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

    Comparing Exchange to groupware products _is_ largely an
    apples-to-oranges comparison.

    Despite what Microsoft says, Exchange is essentially a messaging
    system--an e-mail server. It does that very well--much better than
    other "groupware" products that offer e-mail as only one of their
    features. Exchange isn't much use for other things.

    Given that most large organizations really need e-mail more than
    anything else, though, Exchange is a good choice.

    "Tricking-out" a UNIX server just to avoid using Exchange may not be a
    wise course of action for an enterprise. I'd be interested in knowing,
    point-by-point, exactly how a UNIX solution would provide every feature
    provided by Exchange.

    Exchange is also popular because it's a really good e-mail system for
    the enterprise--the best around, in fact.

    Exchange has a much better feature set than any UNIX solution, and that
    is a major selling point. Most organizations already realize that
    Exchange needs dedicated servers for anything more than a trivial load,
    since dedicated servers are not unique to the Windows environment.

    Netscape's product was garbage, and it was never a serious competitor.

    Exchange servers have to be Windows servers. There has been support for
    _clients_ on other platforms for a long time, but Exchange works best in
    a mostly-Windows environment ... at least if an enterprise wants to use
    all the Exchange features (which it should, if it's going to pay for
    Exchange).

    I've never considered a thousand mailboxes to be a large installation.
    Exchange can handle a hundred times that without too much trouble, given
    enough hardware.

    Exchange is extremely bloated compared to ISP-style solutions, but for
    enterprises that want the Exchange feature set, it's a good trade.

    That is another problem with Exchange for ISPs, although it's due mostly
    to the obstinacy of the marketing departments at Microsoft, and not due
    to any technical constraints.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  20. #20

    Christian Tischler writes:

    If you are running a large organization and you need the type of
    functionality Exchange provides, Exchange is still likely to be the best
    choice. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for. Conversely,
    though, if you aren't going to use all the advanced features it
    provides, you're throwing money out the window if you buy it.

    The complexity also implies lots and lots of high-performance hardware
    and a substantial load on sysadmins, too (actually, if you have
    Exchange, you should have one or more dedicated mail administrators--the
    workload tends to be too much for sysadmins, once you are using all the
    product's features).

    Note that Exchange is strongly contraindicated in networked environments
    with low-speed connections between nodes (anything less than 1 Mbps
    these days, I'd say). Even client connections need to be really fast if
    the clients are using the full feature set.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast