Professional Web Applications Themes

MS Win Update KB835732 causes problems with Illustrator EMF display in Office - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi Folks, Not a question but a warning. Installation of MS Windows Hotfix KB835732 to WinXP caused problems displaying Illustrator CS-generated enhanced metafile graphics (EMF) in Microsoft Office XP applications for me. This problem occurred both with Paste Special...Enhanced Metafile operations and explicit export from Illustrator-CS followed by import into Word and PowerPoint (MS Office XP versions). Happy uninstalling! -Jake Jaffe Harvard University...

  1. #1

    Default MS Win Update KB835732 causes problems with Illustrator EMF display in Office

    Jacob_Jaffe@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Ditto for me.
    After installing the latest security patch for XP (4/14/04), Word will no longer properly display EMF graphics pasted from Illustrator.

    In the update there is a security fix to prevent metafile buffer overruns. I think it is preventing Office products (Word) from displaying the Illustrator graphics properly when pasted into Word.

    Since this is associated with a security patch of XP, I am hesitant to un-install it. Does Adobe have plans to look into the matter to determine a solution?

    Thanks for any info or possible work-arounds.

    Barclay
    Barclay_Morrison@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    [email]Jacob_Jaffeadobeforums.com[/email] wrote in message news:<2cd13792.-1webx.la2eafNXanI>...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Not a question but a warning. Installation of MS Windows Hotfix
    KB835732 to WinXP caused problems displaying Illustrator CS-generated
    enhanced metafile graphics (EMF) in Microsoft Office XP applications
    for me. This problem occurred both with Paste Special...Enhanced
    Metafile operations and explicit export from Illustrator-CS followed
    by import into Word and PowerPoint (MS Office XP versions). Happy
    uninstalling!

    > -Jake Jaffe
    > Harvard University
    We too have this problem, and it effects all of our old Powerpoint
    presentations. And, since we have a policy of automatically accepting
    Windows updates, MS has put in between a rock and hard place. Either
    re-work all old presentations (using .WMF rather than .EMF) or
    manually update Windows.

    Wil Davies
    California Legislative yst's Office
    Wil Davies Guest

  4. #4

    Hi there, had the same Problem (just with an german Windows 2000
    Professionel)

    we use a bought Delphi Application for product testings. After
    Installation of KB835732 the Delphi Application cannot open .EMF which
    had inserted via a delphi component called TVisionImage. After
    un-install all is going right know, but as you also said, we have also
    an SUS with an automatic installation policy.. hopefully, that are
    only 2 computers in the company which use that program and it seems
    nobody other is using emf.

    Thanks Microsoft

    with regards

    overworked admin Frank
    Frank dauer Guest

  5. #5

    Again Ditto. And add Windows 2000 and Office 2000, as well as Illustrator 10 to the mix. I have not found the problem when exporting EMF from other products, such as SigmaPlot or Corel Draw.
    msrosenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    same here, is there allready a workaround? (XP, Word 2002, Illustrator CS)

    Best Regards
    Lothman
    Lothman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Yup. Me, too.

    IL 10, Word 97, Win XP Pro SP1.

    Double-clicking on the EMF file in Explorer opens Windows Picture and Fax Viewer with the error message 'Drawing failed.'

    WMF works fine.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Seems to be the same with Windows 2000 and Office 2000 or 2003. PowerPoint displays Illustrator generated figures incompletely or not at all since this update was applied. The little red 'x' in the left upper corner indicates an error return from the graphic rendering.

    Like Barclay Morrison, since the update was a security update, and since the Windows uninstaller warns that a subsequent update and Office in general may not work, I am wary about uninstalling the patch.

    Does Adobe ever monitor or respond to these posts? This seems to be something that only Adobe and/or MS can fix. It will be an increasing problem as more folks apply the patch unaware of what it will do to their presentations.

    Larry Hunsicker
    Lawrence_Hunsicker@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Larry,

    Adobe and MS are (mutually) aware of this problem.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Is there any update on this problem from either MS or from Adobe?