Professional Web Applications Themes

MS XP, ME compatability - Windows Networking

I am operating a laptop with MS ME and use Broadband to connect to the Web and am considering the purchase of a new desktop computer. Telstra tell me that I can set the computers up with a local area network so that both computers can be on line at once. As the laptop operates on ME and a new computer will have XP installed, my question is; will the new desktop operating on XP be compatable with the laptop operating on ME?...

  1. #1

    Default MS XP, ME compatability

    I am operating a laptop with MS ME and use Broadband to
    connect to the Web and am considering the purchase of a
    new desktop computer. Telstra tell me that I can set the
    computers up with a local area network so that both
    computers can be on line at once.

    As the laptop operates on ME and a new computer will have
    XP installed, my question is; will the new desktop
    operating on XP be compatable with the laptop operating on
    ME?
    Monte Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MS XP, ME compatability

    Hi,

    Yes, Windows ME can communicate with Windows XP.

    Regards,
    Kristofer Gafvert
    [url]http://www.ilopia.com[/url]

    Kristofer Gafvert Guest

  3. #3

    In article <0a8401c346a3$09778ff0$a101280aphx.gbl>, "Monte"
    <momapollbigpond.net.au> wrote:
    >I am operating a laptop with MS ME and use Broadband to
    >connect to the Web and am considering the purchase of a
    >new desktop computer. Telstra tell me that I can set the
    >computers up with a local area network so that both
    >computers can be on line at once.
    >
    >As the laptop operates on ME and a new computer will have
    >XP installed, my question is; will the new desktop
    >operating on XP be compatable with the laptop operating on
    >ME?
    Yes, all versions of Windows can network with each other.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    Steve Winograd [MVP] Guest

  4. #4

    questions
    >addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
    >
    >Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    >[url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    >.
    >Sorry to dissappoint..but. I tried to use ME as the host
    on a broadband connection with Xp as the client, after a
    lot of searching found out on MS site it WILL NOT work
    that way. it will only work when Xp is the host..
    Nigel Guest

  5. #5

    In article <02a501c34725$4af7c620$a501280aphx.gbl>, "Nigel"
    <nigelbarberblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >>>I am operating a laptop with MS ME and use Broadband to
    >>>connect to the Web and am considering the purchase of a
    >>>new desktop computer. Telstra tell me that I can set the
    >>>computers up with a local area network so that both
    >>>computers can be on line at once.
    >>>
    >>>As the laptop operates on ME and a new computer will have
    >>>XP installed, my question is; will the new desktop
    >>>operating on XP be compatable with the laptop operating on
    >>>ME?
    >>
    >>Yes, all versions of Windows can network with each other.
    >
    >Sorry to dissappoint..but. I tried to use ME as the host
    >on a broadband connection with Xp as the client, after a
    >lot of searching found out on MS site it WILL NOT work
    >that way. it will only work when Xp is the host..
    What exactly did you find on the MS site, Nigel? Please post a link
    to it. I've occasionally seen wrong information from MS, and I think
    that this is another case, because I've used ME as a host for XP
    clients many times.

    After reading your message, I decided that I'd better make sure that
    it works. I've just configured ICS on a Win ME computer to share its
    cable modem connection with a Win XP client. Internet access is
    working fine on the XP client: web browsing, news groups, E-mail, etc.

    I don't know why it won't work for you. I've written some web pages
    that should help you get it working:

    ICS Installation [WinMe]
    [url]http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/icsmeinstall.htm[/url]

    XP ICS - Client Setup Using the Network Setup Wizard
    [url]http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/clientwiz.htm[/url]