Professional Web Applications Themes

MSDE and SQL Server - Microsoft Access

Hello, I am going to be getting my feet wet with SQL Server soon and trying to prepare to convert the clients dbs. In looking for info, I came across the MSDE and am not sure at this point whether if I need to know about it. Is this used in leiu of SQL Server an in conjunction with it or both? Is this like a DB engine inbetween Jet and SQl Server? I can't seem to understand from the info on the Microsoft website. Can someone, in a nutshell tell me what is relavant to know for this transistion? ...

  1. #1

    Default MSDE and SQL Server

    Hello,

    I am going to be getting my feet wet with SQL Server soon and trying to
    prepare to convert the clients dbs. In looking for info, I came across the
    MSDE and am not sure at this point whether if I need to know about it. Is
    this used in leiu of SQL Server an in conjunction with it or both? Is this
    like a DB engine inbetween Jet and SQl Server? I can't seem to understand
    from the info on the Microsoft website.

    Can someone, in a nutshell tell me what is relavant to know for this
    transistion?

    Thank you.

    Mark A. Sam

    Mark A. Sam Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MSDE and SQL Server

    the MSDE is a 100% compatible with sql server. that means you can develop
    your application in ms-access along with the msde. Then, when the company
    rolls out your application to 1000 users, it will run fine, and be a
    reliable robust system that and large company would expect.

    So, basically for a cases where you develop an application that needs sql
    server, you can use the MSDE. The reverse is also true:

    You can take a large complex system, and install it in a small branch
    office with 4 or 5 users, and again not have to re-write the sql server
    software. Since the MSDE is included in the office cd, it is free.

    So, if you plan to upgrade, or write applications for sql server, the MSDE
    is a perfect solution.

    You can also use in ms-access what is called a ADP project. This kind of
    ms-access application MUST use sql server. If you don't use a ADP project,
    then you need to use the Enterprise Manger to set-up, and mange the sql
    server. Note that the Enterprise manager works equally well with the MSDE,
    or sql server.

    So, MSDE is simply a small light weight version of sql server. It is by
    design limited in performance, since it is free. The idea here is once you
    outgrow it's ability (about 5 or 8 users), then you can upgrade to the real
    version.

    It is also useful where you need more reliability, or more security then
    what JET offers. With the MSDE you can prevent employees from copying the
    data files for example.

    --
    Albert D. Kallal (MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Albert D. Kallal Guest

  3. #3

    You're right on all. I'd add, for those without Enterprise manager, MsKb
    325003 describes the OSQL utility with examples of how to create new logins,
    passwords, create a new database, attach/detach databases, backup/restore...
    etc.

    Steve

    "Albert D. Kallal" <kallalmsn.com> wrote in message
    news:l6AWa.607884$Vi5.14982268news1.calgary.shaw. ca...
    > the MSDE is a 100% compatible with sql server. that means you can develop
    > your application in ms-access along with the msde. Then, when the company
    > rolls out your application to 1000 users, it will run fine, and be a
    > reliable robust system that and large company would expect.
    >
    > So, basically for a cases where you develop an application that needs sql
    > server, you can use the MSDE. The reverse is also true:
    >
    > You can take a large complex system, and install it in a small branch
    > office with 4 or 5 users, and again not have to re-write the sql server
    > software. Since the MSDE is included in the office cd, it is free.
    >
    > So, if you plan to upgrade, or write applications for sql server, the MSDE
    > is a perfect solution.
    >
    > You can also use in ms-access what is called a ADP project. This kind of
    > ms-access application MUST use sql server. If you don't use a ADP project,
    > then you need to use the Enterprise Manger to set-up, and mange the sql
    > server. Note that the Enterprise manager works equally well with the MSDE,
    > or sql server.
    >
    > So, MSDE is simply a small light weight version of sql server. It is by
    > design limited in performance, since it is free. The idea here is once you
    > outgrow it's ability (about 5 or 8 users), then you can upgrade to the
    real
    > version.
    >
    > It is also useful where you need more reliability, or more security then
    > what JET offers. With the MSDE you can prevent employees from copying the
    > data files for example.
    >

    > --
    > Albert D. Kallal (MVP)
    > Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    > [email]kallalmsn.com[/email]
    > [url]http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn[/url]

    Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks guys,

    So I can install MSDE at home where I am developing and simply transport
    the updates using PCAnywhere to the client. That'll work fine.

    God Bless,

    Mark

    "Mark A. Sam" <msamPlan-It-Earth.Net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am going to be getting my feet wet with SQL Server soon and trying to
    > prepare to convert the clients dbs. In looking for info, I came across
    the
    > MSDE and am not sure at this point whether if I need to know about it.
    Is
    > this used in leiu of SQL Server an in conjunction with it or both? Is
    this
    > like a DB engine inbetween Jet and SQl Server? I can't seem to
    understand
    > from the info on the Microsoft website.
    >
    > Can someone, in a nutshell tell me what is relavant to know for this
    > transistion?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Mark A. Sam

    Mark A. Sam Guest

  5. #5

    And as of yesterday, the price of SQL Server Developer dropped to $49
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/development.asp[/url]

    --
    Joan Wild
    Microsoft Access MVP

    Joan Wild Guest

  6. #6

    Thank you Joan,

    I installed the MDSE2000. Is there an advantage to changing to the Dev
    version> More management tools?

    Thanks and God Bless,

    Mark

  7. #7

    MSDE does not come with any tools. The Developer version comes with
    Enterprise manager; in fact it has all the functions of SQLS Enterprise
    edition.

    I was simply following up to Steve's comment that without the Enterprise
    manager, there is the OSQL utility. The price of the Developer edition
    dropped from $499 (I think) to $49 just recently. At that price, you'll get
    the full functionality of SQLS, including Enterprise manager - which you can
    use against MSDE.

    --
    Joan Wild
    Microsoft Access MVP

    > Thank you Joan,
    >
    > I installed the MDSE2000. Is there an advantage to changing to the Dev
    > version> More management tools?
    >
    > Thanks and God Bless,
    >
    > Mark

    Joan Wild Guest

  8. #8

    One problem... Microsoft forgot to change the price....lol. It is still
    listed at $499.

    God Bless,

    Mark

    Synergy Guest