Professional Web Applications Themes

MT-Newswatcher 3.3b1 bugs? - Mac Networking

I'm finding that the task window is disappearing in 3.3b1 whenever I start to download any files. Is that a known bug? It can't be brought back up from the menu ... it shows it as still visible....

  1. #1

    Default MT-Newswatcher 3.3b1 bugs?

    I'm finding that the task window is disappearing in 3.3b1 whenever I
    start to download any files. Is that a known bug? It can't be brought
    back up from the menu ... it shows it as still visible.
    TNL Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MT-Newswatcher 3.3b1 bugs?

    In article <giganews.com>,
    TNL <tnl.org> wrote:

    It's a beta. In general if you're using a product labelled "beta" the
    expectation is any unexpected behavior should be reported to the
    developer. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about whether other people have
    found it; multiple reports can help identify the problem.

    Gregory Guest

  3. #3

    In article <giganews.com>,
    TNL <tnl.org> wrote:

    Yeah, known problem.

    If you are in the middle of a long batch download, you can make it
    reappear by attempting to close the group window (just click 'no' when
    it asks if you really want to close the group).

    A second workaround is to call up the preferences and then get out.

    --
    mopping is easy ...mopping is fun ....the Smart Mop is for everyone
    iMeowbot Guest

  4. #4

    In article <giganews.com>,
    TNL <tnl.org> wrote:

    I'm aware of this issue, which is actually caused by a compiler
    bug. It will be fixed in a future MT-NW release.

    Simon

    --
    Simon Fraser <mailto:org> <http://www.smfr.org/>
    (Professional driver on closed road)

  5. #5

    In article <sjc.giganews.com>, Simon
    Fraser <org> wrote:

    > I'm aware of this issue, which is actually caused by a compiler
    > bug. It will be fixed in a future MT-NW release.
    >[/ref]

    Thanks Simon. One of the best parts of seeing your posts is checking
    the user-agent entry: "User-Agent: MT-NewsWatcher/3.4b4 (PPC Mac OS
    X)". :) We'll be looking forward to the new release.
    TNL Guest

  6. #6

    In article <giganews.com>,
    TNL <tnl.org> wrote:

    I found a fix (well, a workaround I suppose) for it.

    When the task window disappears, click on the red button of the group
    window that's open (as though you were going to close it). You will get
    a warning that you're downloading from that group, so hit "cancel."

    Voila! Task bar (usually) reappears!
    --
    Cheers,
    _Chas_

  7. #7

    In article <sjc.giganews.com>,
    Simon Fraser <org> wrote:

    > I'm aware of this issue, which is actually caused by a compiler
    > bug. It will be fixed in a future MT-NW release.[/ref]

    Please see my other post in this thread about the "cure" for this bug.

    Also, I'm still not liking the "OPTION-cmd-m/opt-cmd-u" for marking
    things read and unread. I used to have a quick routine once I was done
    reading the threads I was interested in: cmd-a, cmd-m, cmd-w. Select
    all, mark em read, close window. Could be done with one hand and was
    VERY fast.

    Now I have to cmd-a, then OPTION-cmd-m, then cmd-w. I know it doesn't
    sound like much when written out like that, but try it with your own
    hands (or one hand) and you'll see how awkward that is.

    I hope that can get corrected in a future release. I've been using MT-NW
    since it was released (yes really!) and to have stuck by it for all
    these years shows how brilliant your work on it has been (and what a
    good idea it was in the first place!).

  8. #8

    In article <east.earthlink.net>,
    Charles Martin <org> wrote:

    Yeah, stretching three fingers all over the keyboard over and over is a
    pain (literally). But prepare to be happy again, because Simon already
    provides a simpler method: press M (just "M") with an unwanted article
    selected. Voila, checked! Then press U (just "U") to uncheck it again.

    For more of these, see the Help Menu. There are a bunch of topics there
    about various types of shortcuts.

    --
    CC
    CC Guest

  9. #9

    In article <east.earthlink.net>,
    Charles Martin <org> wrote:

    Command-M is a system shortcut for Minimize the Window; Simon didn't
    have much of a choice but to change it.

    I find that just plain M and U work very well, without the need for the
    command key.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  10. #10

    Charles Martin <org> wrote:

    > > I'm aware of this issue, which is actually caused by a compiler
    > > bug. It will be fixed in a future MT-NW release.[/ref]
    >
    > Please see my other post in this thread about the "cure" for this bug.
    >
    > Also, I'm still not liking the "OPTION-cmd-m/opt-cmd-u" for marking
    > things read and unread. I used to have a quick routine once I was done
    > reading the threads I was interested in: cmd-a, cmd-m, cmd-w. Select
    > all, mark em read, close window. Could be done with one hand and was
    > VERY fast.
    >
    > Now I have to cmd-a, then OPTION-cmd-m, then cmd-w. I know it doesn't
    > sound like much when written out like that, but try it with your own
    > hands (or one hand) and you'll see how awkward that is.
    >
    > I hope that can get corrected in a future release. I've been using MT-NW
    > since it was released (yes really!) and to have stuck by it for all
    > these years shows how brilliant your work on it has been (and what a
    > good idea it was in the first place!).[/ref]

    I have keypad shortcuts turned on, and can do this in two keystrokes
    with no modifiers: * [to close the article list window] + [to mark
    everything in it as read].
    --
    Found Poetry (_Science News_, 14-Jun-2003): oldest _homo sapiens_ find
    +-----------------------------------------+ ocean eddies' far-flung effects;
    | Kevin Michael Vail <net> | superior threads spun
    +-----------------------------------------+ the pox from prairie dogs.
    Kevin Guest

  11. #11

    In article <east.earthlink.net>,
    Charles Martin <org> wrote:

    :> In article <sjc.giganews.com>,
    :> Simon Fraser <org> wrote:
    :>
    :> > In article <giganews.com>,
    :> > TNL <tnl.org> wrote:
    :> >
[...]

    There's already a fix for this particular problem: learn to use the
    "other" keyboard shortcuts. I too groused at these changes since it
    changed how I was accustomed to reading groups, but now I just use "a"
    to select all, "m" to mark or "u" to unmark, "w" to close the window,
    and the space bar to open the next article, etc. It didn't take me long
    at all to adapt to this method.

    Simply visit Preferences, then Interface Options, and turn on "Main
    keyboard shortcuts."

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  12. #12

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle
    Steiner <org> wrote:

    > Command-M is a system shortcut for Minimize the Window; Simon didn't
    > have much of a choice but to change it.
    > <snip>[/ref]

    Not necessarily. Command-M and Command-U continue to work just fine in
    Thoth.
    TNL Guest

  13. #13

    In article <200120042308052322%tnl.org>, TNL <tnl.org>
    wrote:

    > > Command-M is a system shortcut for Minimize the Window; Simon
    > > didn't have much of a choice but to change it.
    > > <snip>[/ref]
    >
    > Not necessarily. Command-M and Command-U continue to work just fine
    > in Thoth.[/ref]

    Interesting. Command-U works in MT-NW because it is not used by the
    system. It appears that in Thoth, the keystroke is intercepted by the
    application; I'm not sure that I like that--it means that Command-M does
    not do what it does in virtually all other applications.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  14. #14

    In article <supernews.com>,
    "Steve W. Jackson" <net> wrote:

    <sputter> <cough>

    Why, I ... hey ... what th ...

    Thanks!

  15. #15

    In article <giganews.com>,
    TNL <tnl.org> wrote:

    I see a slightly different (but buggy) behavior. Sometimes the Task
    Window's visibility gets out of synch with the state of the "Show/Hide
    Tasks List" menu item. If the window disappears, I can bring it back by
    selecting "Hide Tasks List."

    --
    Julian Vrieslander
    Julian Guest

  16. #16

    In article
    <west.earthlink.net
    Julian Vrieslander <com> wrote:

    > I see a slightly different (but buggy) behavior. Sometimes the Task
    > Window's visibility gets out of synch with the state of the "Show/Hide
    > Tasks List" menu item. If the window disappears, I can bring it back by
    > selecting "Hide Tasks List."[/ref]

    That is how mine operates as well.
    Madwen Guest

  17. #17

    In article <supernews.com>,
    "Steve W. Jackson" <net> wrote:

    Brill yent. Thanks so much for pointing this out.

    Use plasma destruct ray on address to reply via email.
    Yet Guest

  18. #18

    In article <giganews.com>,
    TNL <tnl.org> wrote:

    I too was troubled by this, until I discovered it only affected the
    floating version of the Tasks Window. It's easier to burrow for a bit
    than use all those other tricks.

    My problem: long file names get truncated if I've viewed a binary and
    then Control-Click to save it. The "Save asŠ" option excises the
    extension and gives 31 useable characters, the "Save to Downloads
    folder" truncates the name to include the extension in the 31
    characters. When decoding was done by helpers, in MT-NW3.1, I used
    Rosetta which had an option to shorten from the front‹where common text
    like "Nevada scenery" occurs, stuff you can include in a folder name.
    This retrograde behaviour preserves that stuff while stripping out the
    last 4 characters for the stupid extension (sorry for the outburst) so I
    lose the file identifiers‹commonly a number e.g.
    Nevada_scenery_suguaro_cactus_23.jpg becomes
    Nevada_scenery_suguaro_cactu.jpg, the next pic in line becomes
    Nevada_scenery_suguaro_cact2.jpg etc. I used to be so happy with
    da_scenery_suguaro_cactus_23.jpg etc. dumping in a folder called
    Nevada_scenery Ÿ or editing out a few underscores in the "Save asŠ"
    Control-click dialogue.

    So I've upgraded to OS X with it's long filenames and my favourite
    newsreader can't ‹ 'cause it doesn't actually use those helper apps ‹
    give me the functional work around I had in the Good Old Days (8.6)

    Otherwise I'm very happy. Thanks for asking.
    TakeOutGarbage&Trash Guest