Professional Web Applications Themes

MT-NewsWatcher and SMTP Authentication - Mac Networking

Is it possible to set up MTNW (3.3b1) to authenticate when connecting to the SMTP server to send email? I'm used to having things set up so that a copy of everything I post gets sent to me, and then I use filters in my email client to sort them into a folder. However, I've just switched to a new ISP after getting broadband, and their server requires a username and password when sending outbound mail. This doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else, but I can't figure out how to do this in MTNW. Have I missed something, ...

  1. #1

    Default MT-NewsWatcher and SMTP Authentication

    Is it possible to set up MTNW (3.3b1) to authenticate when connecting to
    the SMTP server to send email? I'm used to having things set up so that
    a copy of everything I post gets sent to me, and then I use filters in
    my email client to sort them into a folder. However, I've just switched
    to a new ISP after getting broadband, and their server requires a
    username and password when sending outbound mail. This doesn't seem to
    be a problem anywhere else, but I can't figure out how to do this in
    MTNW.

    Have I missed something, or is this not supported?

    (I know I can have MTNW save a copy of postings, and that's what I'm
    doing in the interim, but it really was more convenient for me the other
    way.)
    --
    Found Poetry (_Science News_, 14-Jun-2003): oldest _homo sapiens_ find
    +-----------------------------------------+ ocean eddies' far-flung effects;
    | Kevin Michael Vail <net> | superior threads spun
    +-----------------------------------------+ the pox from prairie dogs.
    Kevin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MT-NewsWatcher and SMTP Authentication

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Kevin Michael Vail <net> wrote:

    It's not currently supported, sorry. I'll look into how much work
    is required to support it.

    Simon

    --
    Simon Fraser <mailto:org> <http://www.smfr.org/>
    (Professional driver on closed road)

  3. #3

    In article <sjc.giganews.com>,
    Simon Fraser <org> wrote:

    > It's not currently supported, sorry. I'll look into how much work
    > is required to support it.[/ref]

    Thanks. I'm sorry it's not there, but at least I didn't have to endure
    a chorus of voices pointing out that all I had to do was look in the
    right place. :-)

  4. #4

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Kevin Michael Vail <net> wrote:

    But you did look in the right place: a newsgroup that the author of
    MTNW monitors. :)

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    In article <sjc.giganews.com>,
    Simon Fraser <org> wrote:

    > It's not currently supported, sorry. I'll look into how much work
    > is required to support it.[/ref]

    --------

    Look at VersionTracker.com or Macorchard.com for a neat little module
    called Baton Mail.

    Its a stand alone program that will perform the SMTP authentication
    portion of the transaction.

    I am running MTNW 3.1 on OS 9 and that is what I use. Works like a
    charm. It also resolves problems for SMTP authentication for other
    programs such as Claris E-mailer, iCab browser, and a few other older
    programs that I have.

    Note to Simon... Contact the author. Maybe he will let you bundle it
    or make it available at your site, or link to it for this purpose.

    Baton doesn't take much to set up, and can handle multiple accounts,
    multiple SMTP sites, and even AOL transactions. POP authentication is
    also available if that is needed, be it rare.

    I don't know if it will work on OS X but its worth looking at.

    DMK
    D. Guest

  6. #6

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > But you did look in the right place: a newsgroup that the author of
    > MTNW monitors. :)[/ref]

    ---

    Barging in....

    Please do look into it.

    A growing number of ISP services require SMTP authentication as a tool
    against spammers.
    D. Guest

  7. #7

    In article <verizon.net>,
    "D. Kirkpatrick" <com> wrote:

    It doesn't run natively under OS X.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  8. #8

    In article <verizon.net>,
    "D. Kirkpatrick" <com> wrote:

    > > But you did look in the right place: a newsgroup that the author of
    > > MTNW monitors. :)[/ref]
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Barging in....
    >
    > Please do look into it.
    >
    > A growing number of ISP services require SMTP authentication as a tool
    > against spammers.[/ref]

    Exactly...this lack in MTNW is the main reason my ISP is maintaining a
    legacy service that they'd prefer to discontinue.

    --
    AF
    Alice Guest

  9. #9

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    ---

    Ah well......

    Maybe we need someone to do that?

    DMK
    D. Guest

  10. #10

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:52:13 GMT,
    D. Kirkpatrick (com) wrote:

    > ---
    >
    > Ah well......
    >
    > Maybe we need someone to do that?[/ref]

    There are already solutions for this problem under OS X. Admittedly
    these take a little bit of futzing around, but they should work.
    For instance, one could enable sendmail or postfix as an smtp daemon
    on localhost, and also configure it to forward all outgoing mail to
    a smarthost with authentication being done by sendmail or postfix.

    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>

  11. #11

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > But you did look in the right place: a newsgroup that the author of
    > MTNW monitors. :)[/ref]

    Heh. Hadn't thought of it like that!

  12. #12

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Kevin Michael Vail <net> wrote:

    I had the same problem and the solution was to contact my ISP and they
    gave me the address of a server that does not require authentication.
    This is the one I use for news and MT-NW
    aRKay Guest