Professional Web Applications Themes

MT Newswatcher Questions - Mac Networking

I know how to block spammers and trolls but how do I block the relentless posts of people responding to certain trolls without blocking all their posts and without filtering by subject? Also,i don't understand why one cannot filter on message content. Are there any Mac news clients that allow that? Thanks. :)...

  1. #1

    Default MT Newswatcher Questions

    I know how to block spammers and trolls but how do I block the
    relentless posts of people responding to certain trolls without blocking
    all their posts and without filtering by subject?

    Also,i don't understand why one cannot filter on message content. Are
    there any Mac news clients that allow that? Thanks. :)
    Phaedrine Stonebridge Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MT Newswatcher Questions

    In article <GhVNa.47288$ic1.663900twister.tampabay.rr.com> ,
    Enough <enoughidontcare.com> wrote:
    > In article
    > <phaedrine_stonebridge-14384C.21233505072003news-50.giganews.com>,
    > Phaedrine Stonebridge <phaedrine_stonebridge> wrote:
    >
    > <insipid content filtered>
    >
    > Sorry, your post was filter and found to be devoid of intellectual
    > content or interest. Please try again!

    Up yours, you moron.
    Phaedrine Stonebridge Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <phaedrine_stonebridge-14384C.21233505072003news-50.giganews.com>,
    Phaedrine Stonebridge <phaedrine_stonebridge> wrote:
    > I know how to block spammers and trolls but how do I block the
    > relentless posts of people responding to certain trolls without blocking
    > all their posts and without filtering by subject?
    You can get some of them by filtering by reference header. Some
    reference headers include information you can set up kill filters on by
    filtering on the reference. For example if I wanted to kill those who
    responded to you I'd set up a filter if "reference begins" matching
    with the phrase "<phaedrine". Some you can block by filtering by
    reference on the domain, like one I block like this--if the phrase ends
    with "bob.rcn.news.com>". In that case instead of killing response I
    have it marked as junk, in case someone else posts from that domain
    that I don't want to block. Filtering on a domain in a reference won't
    work to well if the troll is posting from say, AOL, which has a lot of
    people posting as too many post would be marked junk.

    A lot of people would say if there are relentless posts from people
    responding to certain trolls you should just kill all the posts from
    the relentless responders and not bother with any of their posts. I
    think there is a good case for that attitude.

    --
    Charles
    Charles Guest

  4. #4

    In article <3F087D1B.F66021AEmac.com>,
    George Williams <nyar1ath0tepmac.com> wrote:
    > Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:
    > >
    > > I know how to block spammers and trolls but how do I block the
    > > relentless posts of people responding to certain trolls
    >
    > See if there's an "Ignore Thread" command in your newsreader.
    The problem with killing the thread is that, in this instance, the troll
    is writing the same garbage response to almost all the threads in the NG!
    > Nice nick, too - Phaedrine. It's similar to Phaedrus, now
    > known as "Enough".

    Oh! Is THAT who that was? I wondered...... and I remember Phaedrus
    from a long time ago. Thanks for letting me know. :)
    Phaedrine Stonebridge Guest

  5. #5

    In article <060720031743289106%forthis.com.remove.invalid> ,
    Charles <forthis.com.remove.invalid> wrote:
    > In article
    > <phaedrine_stonebridge-14384C.21233505072003news-50.giganews.com>,
    > Phaedrine Stonebridge <phaedrine_stonebridge> wrote:
    >
    > > I know how to block spammers and trolls but how do I block the
    > > relentless posts of people responding to certain trolls without blocking
    > > all their posts and without filtering by subject?
    >
    > You can get some of them by filtering by reference header. Some
    > reference headers include information you can set up kill filters on by
    > filtering on the reference. For example if I wanted to kill those who
    > responded to you I'd set up a filter if "reference begins" matching
    > with the phrase "<phaedrine". Some you can block by filtering by
    > reference on the domain, like one I block like this--if the phrase ends
    > with "bob.rcn.news.com>". In that case instead of killing response I
    > have it marked as junk, in case someone else posts from that domain
    > that I don't want to block. Filtering on a domain in a reference won't
    > work to well if the troll is posting from say, AOL, which has a lot of
    > people posting as too many post would be marked junk.
    >
    > A lot of people would say if there are relentless posts from people
    > responding to certain trolls you should just kill all the posts from
    > the relentless responders and not bother with any of their posts. I
    > think there is a good case for that attitude.

    Say thanks for the great ideas, Charles. I will definitely try the
    reference header filter. And I do agree that there is some cause for
    filtering the relentless responders too (like maybe for 5-10 days) so I
    may try that as well.
    Phaedrine Stonebridge Guest