Professional Web Applications Themes

MT-NW Font Problem - Mac Networking

I recently switched over to OS X (10.1.5) and have Panther on order. For now, i am using MT version 3.2 for X (just DLd it today). I selected Optima as my font. It shows up nicely in my subject windows but in the article windows, i just get this weird font that is very poorly rendered and not very readable at all. Cutting and pasting some of the weird text into a TextEdit window told me it was helvetica! I don't have helvetica specified and i have never seen helvetica look so crappy. I Googled the problem but could ...

  1. #1

    Default MT-NW Font Problem

    I recently switched over to OS X (10.1.5) and have Panther on order.
    For now, i am using MT version 3.2 for X (just DLd it today). I
    selected Optima as my font. It shows up nicely in my subject windows
    but in the article windows, i just get this weird font that is very
    poorly rendered and not very readable at all. Cutting and pasting some
    of the weird text into a TextEdit window told me it was helvetica! I
    don't have helvetica specified and i have never seen helvetica look so
    crappy. I Googled the problem but could not find anything. Can someone
    tell me how to fix this problem please? I noticed there was a newer
    beta version of MT-NW when i DLd this one. Does that one solve the
    problem or is it too buggy to use?

    Madeleine
    Madwen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MT-NW Font Problem

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <net> wrote:

    I used to use a 12-point 'Charcoal'-like font called 'Virtue'
    for reading the the MT-NW news in Classic (still do on my old
    Mac.)

    Now on Mac 10 I use 'Lucida Grande' at 18-point.

    [That's right: I'm _not_ wearing my glasses. ;^) ]

    I _do_ know that the font must be selected separately not only
    for the Subject/List window and the Article/Text window, but that
    it must also be done _for each form of text encoding_.

    Every now and then, someone sends a posting using Unicode, and
    the whole damn list window appears in some 9-point Geneva or
    somesuch. By trial and error I have found that by marking that
    header 'Read,' closing the window and reopening, my proper font
    is restored. You may be getting messages in unexpected encodings.

    Perhaps I should turn Off the "Try to detect article encoding"
    option, but this doesn't happen often.

    The best way to check the encoding of a message is to go to
    the Menubar> Edit> Decode as...> and see if the messages are
    coming in as something unusual.

    Also, under the MenuBar> MT-NW> Preferences... > Languages,
    try a few options. Also note that you can make overriding
    settings under the MenuBar> Special> Group Settings; however,
    these should have come set to default.

    --
    __________B__a__r__b__a__r__o__s__s__a__________
    Wayne B. Hewitt Encinitas, CA edu

  3. #3

    In article <ucsd.edu>,
    Barbarossa <edu> wrote:

    > I used to use a 12-point 'Charcoal'-like font called 'Virtue'
    > for reading the the MT-NW news in Classic (still do on my old
    > Mac.)
    >
    > Now on Mac 10 I use 'Lucida Grande' at 18-point.
    >
    > [That's right: I'm _not_ wearing my glasses. ;^) ]
    >
    > I _do_ know that the font must be selected separately not only
    > for the Subject/List window and the Article/Text window, but that
    > it must also be done _for each form of text encoding_.
    >
    > Every now and then, someone sends a posting using Unicode, and
    > the whole damn list window appears in some 9-point Geneva or
    > somesuch. By trial and error I have found that by marking that
    > header 'Read,' closing the window and reopening, my proper font
    > is restored. You may be getting messages in unexpected encodings.[/ref]

    I will try to remember that if i encounter that anomaly. I know that
    posts originating from AOL often have encoding problems. But, of
    course, that is expected with AOL.

    I do know about encoding and it is not that. I have no idea why it will
    use a beautiful Optima for Subject windows but not for articles. When
    Optima is selected as the text font, every single article comes up in a
    strange font. By trial and error, i discovered that NW for X will
    accurately render a number of fonts including Verdana so i have switched
    to that with the hope that this problem is resolved in Panther. Hey
    thanks a lot for responding and for the ideas. :)

    Madeleine
    Madwen Guest

  4. #4

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <net> wrote:

    Just to see, I activated Optima for my MT-NW 3.3b1. The font
    works for both List and Text, but I found it a little pale, so I
    used Optima Bold instead. That one worked, too.

    It is possible that that may be some form of font corruption
    that only appears when used in the Text window. The next thing to
    try is to re-install the font from the original disk, or other
    trustworthy source. (I have my PS copy from the Adobe 'Font
    Folio' CD.) E-Mail me if you need some help.
    Barbarossa Guest