Professional Web Applications Themes

MT-NW: Weird characters show up in postings - Mac Networking

I've been putting up with this for years, and now I'm bothering to ask why it happens, and if there's something we can do about it. I'm using MT-NW 3.4 in Panther 10.3.3. Frequently, when people post Usenet articles that are cut-and-pasted from web pages, there are lots of ed up characters. Here's an example from rec.arts.tv:   Notice the incorrect quotes around "FLOPS!", and something that looks like a comma where an apostrophe should be in "Culture's". (Actually, the quote above isn't accurate -- when I was reading the original post, there was something that looks like a percent ...

  1. #1

    Default MT-NW: Weird characters show up in postings

    I've been putting up with this for years, and now I'm bothering to ask
    why it happens, and if there's something we can do about it. I'm using
    MT-NW 3.4 in Panther 10.3.3.

    Frequently, when people post Usenet articles that are cut-and-pasted
    from web pages, there are lots of ed up characters. Here's an
    example from rec.arts.tv:

    Notice the incorrect quotes around "FLOPS!", and something that looks
    like a comma where an apostrophe should be in "Culture's". (Actually,
    the quote above isn't accurate -- when I was reading the original post,
    there was something that looks like a percent sign after the "!")

    The article header doesn't have a "Content-type" header to specify a
    character set, so I guess I can't blame MT-NW for not decoding weird
    characters automatically. But I tried all the options in the "Decode
    As" menu, and none of them seemed to do the right thing.

    I saved the article to a file and viewed it with Emacs, and the weird
    characters have the following ASCII codes (in octal):

    222: apostrophe
    223: open doublequote
    224: close doublequote
    226: dash

    Is this a Windows character set? Simon, could you add it to the "Decode
    As" sub-menu?

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  2. #2

    Default Re: MT-NW: Weird characters show up in postings

    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> wrote in message news:<ash.giganews.com>...

    It probably won't help.

    It may be redundant to ask. But why Emacs? Bare Bones' `BBedit' is
    so much simpler.

    No Help, whenever I add the Windows card to my Mac, ut crashes the
    processer.

    Not a Problem.

    B.

    --
    "Thank God Bill Gates doesn't advocate writing code for
    ICBM's. -- Anonymous"

  3. #3

    On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Barry Margolin wrote:

    The problem with MT-NewsWatcher is that it still uses the obsolete,
    nonsense transcoding "MacRoman <-> ISO-8859-1" by Monsieur Pirard.
    <http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/iso8859/iso8859-mac.html>
    It is nonsense to use this transcoding on the Unicode system Mac OS X.
    Get rid of it!

    --
    For Pirard is an honourable man.

    Andreas Guest

  4. #4

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> wrote:

    I recently cut-and-pasted a unicode 0432 from the terminal (in utf8)
    into MTNW, and it turned into a "2". I wish MTNW would handle utf8 as a
    character encoding.

    David Guest

  5. #5

    This problem isn't restricted to MTNW. For years doing paper pubs in
    quark, as well as html stuff, I've come across wierd characters, and
    always they come originally from word docs. I think it is MS way of
    making it look like all other programs are wrong. Either that or there
    are people out there who think `this´ is a legitimate way of quoting
    things.

    but I suppose there is more chance of Simon fixing something that is not
    wrong with his program than there is of MS ever fixing word to be
    compatible with the rest of the world. This happens even if you
    tell it to save plain text.

    Andy
    nospamatall Guest