Professional Web Applications Themes

Multi-Boot Swap Partition Question - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Is there any harm, on a multi-boot system, for two distributions (Slackware & Redhat) to share the same swap partition? Do all Linux distributions use the swap space in essentially the same manner?...

  1. #1

    Default Multi-Boot Swap Partition Question

    Is there any harm, on a multi-boot system, for two distributions
    (Slackware & Redhat) to share the same swap partition?

    Do all Linux distributions use the swap space in essentially the same
    manner?
    carlos Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Multi-Boot Swap Partition Question

    "carlos seramos" <com> wrote in message

    no

    yes

    Jonas Guest

  3. #3

    carlos seramos wrote:

    Yes, sometimes. I once had a particular distribution that didn't clear its
    temporaries from the swap space when it was shut down because it believed
    it had sole access. This prevented the other distributon from working
    properly.

    No, they do not. Some distributions mamke different assumptions.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Guest

  4. #4

    "Paul Lutus" <zzz> wrote in message
    news:supernews.com... [/ref]

    I've done it with these two. It's fine.

    What distribution was this ? And why would it want to keep swapped out
    pages over a reboot ?
    There's no sense in that.

    > No, they do not. Some distributions mamke different assumptions.[/ref]

    Like what ?

    -Jonas

    Jonas Guest

  5. #5

    Jonas Alver wrote:
     [/ref]

    > I've done it with these two. It's fine.

    > What distribution was this ? And why would it want to keep swapped out
    > pages over a reboot ?
    > There's no sense in that.[/ref]

    Yes, and what is your point? People aren't required to act sensibly, even
    when setting up a distribution.

    If you want things to make sense, take up mathematics. Choose some field
    without quite so much human behavioral latitude as a given.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Guest

  6. #6

    Dans l'article <supernews.com>, Paul Lutus a écrit :
    > Yes, sometimes. I once had a particular distribution that didn't clear
    > its temporaries from the swap space when it was shut down because it
    > believed it had sole access. This prevented the other distributon from
    > working properly.
    > No, they do not. Some distributions mamke different assumptions.[/ref]

    In such a case, you can add a mkswap line in the boot scripts, before
    mounting the swap partition.

    --
    ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._ Francois Cerbelle
    `6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`) Cell: (+33/0) 603 015 512

    Francois Guest

  7. #7

    carlos seramos wrote:

    ..... i've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 distros on
    a machine, all distros sharing the same swap and i've never
    experienced any sort of issue
    ..
    "The human brain is like an enormous fish -- it is flat and slimy
    and has gills through which it can see." - Monty Python

    mjt Guest

  8. #8

    Jonas Alver <com> randomly warbled in alt.os.linux:

    > no

    > yes[/ref]

    Rather terse, don't you think? And probably wrong - in this instance.
    I don't know where you got this from, but my money's on Paul for this
    kind of thing - rather than on someone who just says "no" without even
    bothering to mention why.

    --
    Jeroen Geilman

    All your bits are belong to us.

    Jeroen Guest

  9. #9

    "Jeroen Geilman" <nl> wrote in message

    Well, I've done it successfully with the two mentioned distros.

    He (Paul Lutus) has another experince with some other distro.
    So he gave the OP a heads up, good.

    Why you bothered to post still beats me.

    -Jonas

    Jonas Guest

  10. #10

    In alt.os.linux Jeroen Geilman <nl> wrote:
    > > no[/ref][/ref]

    Correct.

    > > yes[/ref][/ref]

    In absolutely the same manner.

    No, completely correct. Swap space is just that - space. There is no
    "format" except for a signature at the front. You can even share swap
    space between linux and windo9ws - just be sure to write the correct
    signature at the front when you boot (or when you shutdown - I used
    to do it on shutdown when I experimented with this kind of thing. See
    various windows + linux howtos).

    I know precisely where he got it from. The list of perfectly obvious
    truths that everyone knows just by using their eyes ears and nonce.

    There is no point in saying why. It's as silly a question as "can I use
    the same garage for a pontiac and a jaguar" (not at the same time).
    The thing is SPACE. If you didn't like the kind of space it was you
    could always do a mkswap on it at the front of your boot sequence, just
    before you do the swapon.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  11. #11

    >> What distribution was this ? And why would it want to keep
    >> swapped out pages over a reboot ? There's no sense in that.[/ref][/ref]

    Paul> Yes, and what is your point? People aren't required to act
    Paul> sensibly, even when setting up a distribution.

    But how can one set up a swap PARTITION, so that one can leave
    something there that survives a reboot? The swap partition, by
    design, won't leave anything behind after a reboot. It is
    automatically (actually 'implicitly) emptied upon system boot. Like
    tmpfs. It's simply impossible to have something left there after a
    reboot.

    Maybe that distro stupidly set up an ext2 partition and then made a
    swap FILE (as well as other temp. files) there. That'd a stupid
    decision. And if that is the case, you should have said that's a swap
    *FILE* on a (ext2/ext3/whatever) partition, rather than a swap
    *PARTITION*.

    Paul> If you want things to make sense, take up
    Paul> mathematics. Choose some field without quite so much human
    Paul> behavioral latitude as a given.

    Obviously, you didn't know what you were talking about at all. And
    when challenged about that, you start insulting.

    --
    Lee Sau Dan +Z05biGVm-(Big5) ~{nJX6X~}(HZ)

    E-mail: uni-freiburg.de
    LEE Guest

  12. #12

    LEE Sau Dan <uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

    Well, obviously.

    That is not a real possibility. There are TWO real possibilities that I
    can think of. One is that the swap file signature changed between
    linux kernels 2.0 and 2.2. The other is something that PL won't know
    about and won't even have heard of and so I won't mention.

    Well, yes, that too.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest