Professional Web Applications Themes

multi-line text field in dataset passed to web services - ASP.NET Web Services

Hi everyone I'm having a problem with passing a dataset with a text field in one of the tables contaning multiple lines separated by \r\n to the ASP.NET web services and back. The \r\n charachters get replaced with the single space. This does not happen for the regular string parameters, only for the fields in the dataset. After a few days of research I found that it happens on extraction of the dataset from the SOAP envelop. XmlReader in the call to ReadXmlSerializable of my strongly typed dataset comes with the \r\n charachters stripped off, but raw SOAL message has ...

  1. #1

    Default multi-line text field in dataset passed to web services

    Hi everyone

    I'm having a problem with passing a dataset with a text field in one of the tables contaning multiple lines separated by \r\n to the ASP.NET web services and back. The \r\n charachters get replaced with the single space. This does not happen for the regular string parameters, only for the fields in the dataset. After a few days of research I found that it happens on extraction of the dataset from the SOAP envelop. XmlReader in the call to ReadXmlSerializable of my strongly typed dataset comes with the \r\n charachters stripped off, but raw SOAL message has them intact. Any idea of how I can make it work? I don't want to encode this string before updating it in dataset since it will require special handling of binding in asp.net web form, and I won't be able to use data adapter to update database without some weird logic in the stored procedure..

    Thank you in advance for your help
    Alex.
    tms@tms.com Guest

  2. #2

    Hi everyone

    I tryed to post this before, but I think I've got it into the public newsgroup instead of managed and nobody answered :

    I'm having a problem with passing a dataset with a text field in one of the tables contaning multiple lines separated by \r\n to the ASP.NET web services and back. The \r\n charachters get replaced with the single space. This does not happen for the regular string parameters, only for the fields in the dataset. After a few days of research I found that it happens on extraction of the dataset from the SOAP envelop. XmlReader in the call to ReadXmlSerializable of my strongly typed dataset comes with the \r\n charachters stripped off, but raw SOAL message has them intact. Is it a bug in the .NET framework? Any idea of how I can make it work? I don't want to encode this string before updating it in dataset since it will require special handling of binding in asp.net web form, and I won't be able to use data adapter to update database without some weird logic in the stored procedure..

    Thank you in advance for your help
    Alex.
    Alex Kovalerchik Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Alex,

    Thanks for posting in the community! Regarding on the issue, we're
    finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as
    posible. Meanwhile, if you have any new
    findings, please feel free to post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]