Professional Web Applications Themes

Multiple Access database files - ASP Database

You could create a link to the table. see an Access newsgroup (or online help) for details. HTH, Bob Barrows A Ratcliffe wrote: > Hi all, hope you might be able to help me out. > > I have a client who is insisting on having individual Access > databases for each client (I've tried to point out that its > unnecessary, but they insist). Although the data structure is the > same for each company, the data is company-specific. Ultimately, > though I disagree with them about the individual database files, most > of it is very basic design-wise.... ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Multiple Access database files

    A Ratcliffe wrote:
    > Hi all, hope you might be able to help me out.
    >
    > I have a client who is insisting on having individual Access
    > databases for each client (I've tried to point out that its
    > unnecessary, but they insist). Although the data structure is the
    > same for each company, the data is company-specific. Ultimately,
    > though I disagree with them about the individual database files, most
    > of it is very basic design-wise....
    >
    > But....
    >
    > There is a table that is generic to all companies. Given the fact
    > that it is a small table, I could give a copy to every database file,
    > but its not ideal, and if it is every updated, we would need to
    > update every single db file. I'm not sure if Access even allows this,
    > but with Foxpro/DBase, we could have a 'free' table, which existed in
    > its own file and could be joined with any other table in any other
    > database.
    >
    > Firstly does such a thing exist in Access, and secondly (and most
    > importantly) if such a setup could be created, how would I use it via
    > ASP/ADO?
    >
    > Hope you can help out, and thanks in advance for any assistance,
    >
    > Yours,
    >
    > A Ratcliffe

    Bob Barrows Guest

  2. #2

    "A Ratcliffe" <aratcliffearchimagic.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all, hope you might be able to help me out.
    >
    > I have a client who is insisting on having individual Access databases for
    > each client (I've tried to point out that its unnecessary, but they
    insist).
    > Although the data structure is the same for each company, the data is
    > company-specific. Ultimately, though I disagree with them about the
    > individual database files, most of it is very basic design-wise....
    >
    > But....
    >
    > There is a table that is generic to all companies. Given the fact that it
    is
    > a small table, I could give a copy to every database file, but its not
    > ideal, and if it is every updated, we would need to update every single db
    > file. I'm not sure if Access even allows this, but with Foxpro/DBase, we
    > could have a 'free' table, which existed in its own file and could be
    joined
    > with any other table in any other database.
    >
    > Firstly does such a thing exist in Access, and secondly (and most
    > importantly) if such a setup could be created, how would I use it via
    > ASP/ADO?
    >
    > Hope you can help out, and thanks in advance for any assistance,
    >
    > Yours,
    >
    > A Ratcliffe

    you could write a trigger to update all databases when the table is changed

    Mosley Guest

  3. #3

    >There is a table that is generic to all companies. Given the fact that it is
    >a small table, I could give a copy to every database file, but its not
    >ideal, and if it is every updated, we would need to update every single db
    >file. I'm not sure if Access even allows this, but with Foxpro/DBase, we
    >could have a 'free' table, which existed in its own file and could be joined
    >with any other table in any other database.
    >
    >Firstly does such a thing exist in Access, and secondly (and most
    >importantly) if such a setup could be created, how would I use it via
    >ASP/ADO?
    In Access you'd normally create a link to that table in a separate
    database (All Access tables must be in a database file). Haven't
    tried links in an ADO setup, but at the least you could open and read
    the tables from both data sources.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran Guest