Professional Web Applications Themes

Multiple Java scripts per page? - Macromedia Fireworks

Yes, I searched to no avail. How do I get more than one script to run on an html page? I have 3 different popup menus that I want to run on the same page. I know there is a 'conflict' problem but I'm not sure what to add/delete to make them all function as one! Sorry if this is a typical question. I'm very new to java. Thanks, Mike...

  1. #1

    Default Multiple Java scripts per page?

    Yes, I searched to no avail. How do I get more than one script to run on an html page? I have 3 different popup menus that I want to run on the same page. I know there is a 'conflict' problem but I'm not sure what to add/delete to make them all function as one!
    Sorry if this is a typical question. I'm very new to java.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    launchpad67a Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Multiple Java scripts per page?

    launchpad67a wrote:

    You can have as much or as little javascript on an html page as you wish.
    Although the more js the slower the page is to load.

    Have a look at this technote for adding multiple popups to one page.
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/multi_popup.htm

    DiMa
    --------------------
    WEB FORUM USERS: Please log on to the Newsgroup for quicker replies to
    your posts: news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
    For Answers, check here first:
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=+group:macromedia.dreamwea ver
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/technotes.html
    http://www.projectseven.com/faqbase
    http://dwfaq.com

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/etiquette.htm

    www.flyingtigerwebdesign dot com

    DiMa Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks DiMa, that really helped. I did get smart and realize that I should design all the popup menus in one doent. This resolves the problem of conflicting scripts within a page.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    launchpad67a Guest

  4. #4

    Now she's going to tell you to never use pop-up menus. And if she doesn't,
    I will -

    The DW/FW pop-ups will add at least 35K of code overhead to the first page
    using them, as well as a large dynamic write to *each* page containing the
    menus.

    You should also know that they link to your files using doent relative
    links that are hardcoded in your javacript - not only are these links
    invisible to the DW link management routines (i.e., when you move a page in
    the site, you break the link), but worse, they are also invisible to the
    search engine spiders, and accessability (508) requirements. The only way to
    solve the second problem is to make sure that your pages have alternate,
    HTML-based navigation links on them.

    I am not fond of these menus (as you have no doubt guessed) and feel that it
    is important to know what you are getting into before you may devote much
    time to them.

    There are some excellent alternatives to these pop-ups that have none of
    these problems. Here are two methods that are very simple -

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    or

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm

    Here is a method that is more 'hands on' but very slick and equally trouble
    free -

    http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "launchpad67a" <com> wrote in message
    design all the popup menus in one doent. This resolves the problem of
    conflicting scripts within a page.

    Murray Guest

  5. #5

    launchpad67a wrote:

    You're welcome and I'm glad it helped.

    And now (as you may have guessed) I am going to tell you that FW/DW popup menus
    are a BEAR with many more disadvantages than advantages. Murray's post explains
    them very well. The ONLY advantage is ease of creation. That's it. For a little
    more time and a little more effort you could make them yourself and not have
    the disadvantages. It's a rather good trade, I believe :) Have a look at
    Murray's links and you won't regret it!

    DiMa