Professional Web Applications Themes

Multiple languages - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

Here is the situation. I am programming a member registration page. My main site goes to [url]www.domain.com[/url] then when they go to register they are sent to [url]https://secure.domain.com[/url] My boss wants all the pages wrapped in his template. so what I have done is copied all the images, templates, and css sheets to the folder in the [url]https://secure.domain.com[/url] folder. Which works great! However when I do an update at [url]www.ctpclub.com[/url] I also have to udate the [url]https://secure.domain.com[/url] site. Not a big deal here is where it gets tricky. We have this site in several languages. german.domain.com, spanish.domain.com, etc So when ...

  1. #1

    Default Multiple languages

    Here is the situation. I am programming a member registration page. My main
    site goes to

    [url]www.domain.com[/url]

    then when they go to register they are sent to

    [url]https://secure.domain.com[/url]

    My boss wants all the pages wrapped in his template. so what I have done is
    copied all the images, templates, and css sheets to the folder in the
    [url]https://secure.domain.com[/url] folder. Which works great!

    However when I do an update at [url]www.ctpclub.com[/url] I also have to udate the
    [url]https://secure.domain.com[/url] site.

    Not a big deal here is where it gets tricky.

    We have this site in several languages.

    german.domain.com, spanish.domain.com, etc

    So when I update the english site both secure and regular I have to then go
    update the additional sites both secure and normal.

    I was wondering if anyone had a solution for keeping the secure stuff wrapped
    in the template but allowing for updates so I only need do them to the main
    site for any given language. This would knock out half my maintenance.

    Buddhatech74 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Multiple languages

    Buddatech,
    Here's some ideas, some of which may be the right answer, impractical in
    your situation, or just plain wrong! I am making an assumption, and correct me
    if I am wrong, that the "template" you refer to consists of a header, footer
    and main menu (maybe on the left). They will probably be the same content and
    color, but the difference will be (mostly) the language of the header text and
    menu items. With that....

    1) Use custom tags - for this, I am making an assumption that all domains are
    on the same server (or cluster of servers). You will also need the application
    to know which language it is working in. E.g., spanish.domain.com will know to
    use custom tag cf_spanish_header.cfm. So, if you make a change to a menu item
    you change it once for the secure and non secure version.

    2) DB driven menu's - a little more complicated, but you could pull the menu
    items, again based on the language, from a DB (which would need things like
    title, linkURL, language, sort order) and process them in a CF tag. Extra
    points if you import the menu structure into an application variable to act as
    a cache, so that you decrease load on the DB connection. Instead of changing
    code, you now change DB entries (spawning a whole new application to manage
    THAT).

    For either of the above, you should try use CSS for things like the font and
    the background colors. That way, if your boss asks you to change the banner BG
    color from red to magenta, you make one change to one file, and all of the menu
    files pull in the change (if you want to keep them all the same, that is).

    Hope this helps some.

    David

    davidmedifit Guest

  3. #3

    well your first step is to have just the one application, then internationalize
    that. replace all static text w/variables or function calls backed by resource
    bundles, all date/numeric/currency format calls w/i18n functions (the LS ones
    in cf if they work for your supported locales), etc. serving out localized
    content afterwards is simpler than what you're doing now, as i guess your
    starting to realize.

    PaulH Guest