Professional Web Applications Themes

Multiple Libraries in iTunes 4? - Mac Applications & Software

I have an external drive with lots and lots of songs that I want to add to iTunes, and I know how to add them all to the main library, but I don't really want to do that. See, I don't use the external drive all the time, and when it's shut off, won't iTunes mark the songs from the external drive with the exclamation mark it marks missings songs? So, I would like to create a new library for the external drive only. I don't want to merge the two. Would it be easier to create a playlist with ...

  1. #1

    Default Multiple Libraries in iTunes 4?

    I have an external drive with lots and lots of songs that I want to add
    to iTunes, and I know how to add them all to the main library, but I
    don't really want to do that. See, I don't use the external drive all
    the time, and when it's shut off, won't iTunes mark the songs from the
    external drive with the exclamation mark it marks missings songs?

    So, I would like to create a new library for the external drive only. I
    don't want to merge the two. Would it be easier to create a playlist
    with the external drive's songs? Or would it be easier to just add the
    external drive's songs to the main library and deal with it?

    Thanks for the advice,
    Beck

    --
    Conservative Girl: Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior?
    Buffy: Uh, you know I meant to, and then I just got really busy.

    --BTVS, "Welcome to the Hellmouth"
    Becky Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Multiple Libraries in iTunes 4?

    In article <060920032002396980%org>, Becky Carter
    Hickman-Jones <org> wrote:

    itunes doesn't support multiple libraries - a glaring omission.

    you can fake it by manually moving the old itunes library files out of
    the itunes folder to a safe place, then let itunes create a new library
    for your second hard drive. then swap the old ones back to switch
    libraries. its a definite pain in the butt, but it works.
    nospam Guest

  3. #3

    In article <070920031824557968%invalid>,
    nospam <invalid> wrote:

    > itunes doesn't support multiple libraries - a glaring omission.
    >
    > you can fake it by manually moving the old itunes library files out of
    > the itunes folder to a safe place, then let itunes create a new library
    > for your second hard drive. then swap the old ones back to switch
    > libraries. its a definite pain in the butt, but it works.[/ref]

    I think there were some shareware iTunes utilities that did that,
    multiple iTunes Libraries. They did not specifically say how they
    accomplished this feature, but on a simple test I did, that is exactly
    what they were doing, moving the iTunes Library in and out of the
    ~/Music/iTunes/ location, making possible multiple iTunes Libraries
    with different Playlists sets/drive locations.

    Can't remember the name off hand. Do a Google search or MacUpdate or
    Version Tracker search. I think this was all accomplished with
    Applescripts.

    This may have dated back a year or so, and may have been iTunes 3
    version times, but should work the same with iTunes 4.x
    Morenuf
    morenuf Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you much. I will give this and the searches a try.

  5. #5

    In article
    <columbus.rr.com>,
    morenuf <com.invalid> wrote:

    > > itunes doesn't support multiple libraries - a glaring omission.
    > >
    > > you can fake it by manually moving the old itunes library files out of
    > > the itunes folder to a safe place, then let itunes create a new library
    > > for your second hard drive. then swap the old ones back to switch
    > > libraries. its a definite pain in the butt, but it works.[/ref]
    >
    > I think there were some shareware iTunes utilities that did that,
    > multiple iTunes Libraries. They did not specifically say how they
    > accomplished this feature, but on a simple test I did, that is exactly
    > what they were doing, moving the iTunes Library in and out of the
    > ~/Music/iTunes/ location, making possible multiple iTunes Libraries
    > with different Playlists sets/drive locations.
    >
    > Can't remember the name off hand. Do a Google search or MacUpdate or
    > Version Tracker search. I think this was all accomplished with
    > Applescripts.
    >
    > This may have dated back a year or so, and may have been iTunes 3
    > version times, but should work the same with iTunes 4.x
    > Morenuf[/ref]

    I just ran across this one in Macnn.com
    http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/scripts/scripts07.shtml#itunestrackcpr

    Not sure if any of these applescript iTunes utilities are ones I had
    seen and experimented with before nor not.

    Some are for using different libraries for iTunes.

    But they be of interest and use to you.
    Morenuf
    morenuf Guest

  6. #6

    That is the site I found when I did my Google search. I found a library
    manager there that does exactly what I was looking for. And for $5,
    that's not too much to ask. I also found a script that goes through
    your library or playlist and removes dead links. That was really cool.
    And on an unrelated site, I found a script that seeks out the album
    cover art for the albums in your playlist or library. Tell me I didn't
    spend too much time doing that today! Who knew there was so much stuff
    out there just for iTunes?

    Thanks again,
    Beck

    In article