Professional Web Applications Themes

Multiple modems configuration in Linux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi All, Just want to seek for any recommendations for using multiple modem configuration in Linux (currently using Redhat 7.2, may consider migrarte to 9.0). I'm going to install 4 modem lines connected to the Linux system (using the vgetty package on a voice application). I'm thinking about the following different possibilities: 1. Use the 2 com ports on the PC to connect to 2 external modems and add 2 internal modems (I believe most modems can be configured as COM3 and COM4). 2. Buy a port extender card (which can have 2 upto 8 more COM. ports), then connect ...

  1. #1

    Default Multiple modems configuration in Linux

    Hi All,

    Just want to seek for any recommendations for using multiple modem
    configuration in Linux (currently using Redhat 7.2, may consider migrarte to
    9.0). I'm going to install 4 modem lines connected to the Linux system
    (using the vgetty package on a voice application). I'm thinking about the
    following different possibilities:

    1. Use the 2 com ports on the PC to connect to 2 external modems and add 2
    internal modems (I believe most modems can be configured as COM3 and COM4).

    2. Buy a port extender card (which can have 2 upto 8 more COM. ports), then
    connect all the COM ports to external modems.

    3. Buy a multiple modem card (some cards can have 4 to 8 modems on one
    single card).

    4. Buy 4 different internal modem cards (I'm not sure if its possible to use
    them as COM1 to COM4 ?)

    5. Or any other combination ???

    Could anybody share any experience? What types of modems cards (especially
    for multiport modem card) or extender card are recommended, since I want to
    make sure that the Linux and vgetty driver can support them. Thanks in
    advance.

    Rgds,

    K.Lam

    Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Multiple modems configuration in Linux

    if you want to use more than two modems i think that you must buy an
    apposite hardware.
    i know that you can't use com1 and com3 and com2 and com4 together so even
    with 4 com ports you can use only two ports at same time. this because
    com1/3 shares the same irq4 and com2/4 shares the same irq3.

    there is an hardware that conncet 8/16 modem's com ports to one pc's com
    port.

    You can use different modems with usb!

    bye

    <klamvcn.bc.ca> ha scritto nel messaggio news:3f66b338$2shknews01...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Just want to seek for any recommendations for using multiple modem
    > configuration in Linux (currently using Redhat 7.2, may consider migrarte
    > 9.0). I'm going to install 4 modem lines connected to the Linux system
    > (using the vgetty package on a voice application). I'm thinking about the
    > following different possibilities:
    >
    > 1. Use the 2 com ports on the PC to connect to 2 external modems and add 2
    > internal modems (I believe most modems can be configured as COM3 and
    COM4).

    > 2. Buy a port extender card (which can have 2 upto 8 more COM. ports),
    then
    > connect all the COM ports to external modems.
    >
    > 3. Buy a multiple modem card (some cards can have 4 to 8 modems on one
    > single card).
    >
    > 4. Buy 4 different internal modem cards (I'm not sure if its possible to
    use
    > them as COM1 to COM4 ?)
    >
    > 5. Or any other combination ???
    >

    > Could anybody share any experience? What types of modems cards (especially
    > for multiport modem card) or extender card are recommended, since I want
    > make sure that the Linux and vgetty driver can support them. Thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > Rgds,
    >
    > K.Lam

    vittorio Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:05:16 +0800, kla wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Just want to seek for any recommendations for using multiple modem
    > configuration in Linux (currently using Redhat 7.2, may consider migrarte to
    > 9.0). I'm going to install 4 modem lines connected to the Linux system
    > (using the vgetty package on a voice application). I'm thinking about the
    > following different possibilities:
    >
    > 1. Use the 2 com ports on the PC to connect to 2 external modems and add 2
    > internal modems (I believe most modems can be configured as COM3 and COM4).
    >
    > 2. Buy a port extender card (which can have 2 upto 8 more COM. ports), then
    > connect all the COM ports to external modems.
    >
    > 3. Buy a multiple modem card (some cards can have 4 to 8 modems on one
    > single card).
    >
    > 4. Buy 4 different internal modem cards (I'm not sure if its possible to use
    > them as COM1 to COM4 ?)
    >
    > 5. Or any other combination ???
    >

    > Could anybody share any experience? What types of modems cards (especially
    > for multiport modem card) or extender card are recommended, since I want to
    > make sure that the Linux and vgetty driver can support them. Thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > Rgds,
    >
    > K.Lam
    You definitely want to buy an intelligent modem card, with all the modems
    you need on it.

    There are multiple advantages to this:

    1. You typically use only one interrupt, not a bunch.
    2. The intelligent card has an on-board CPU to handle all of the
    comm-stuff so your CPU doesn't have to.
    3. The quality of the intelligent cards is typically much higher than some
    of the cheap modems around (and if you buy high quality modems, you'll pay
    as much.

    I used to use Digi quite a bit, but they seem to have run into some
    trouble with support. Eicon makes great products, and I'd recommend them
    with linux. They actively support linux; there are both binary and
    open-source drivers available.

    -Dondo
    Captain Dondo Guest

  4. #4

    [email]klamvcn.bc.ca[/email] wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Just want to seek for any recommendations for using multiple modem
    > configuration in Linux (currently using Redhat 7.2, may consider migrarte to
    > 9.0). I'm going to install 4 modem lines connected to the Linux system
    > (using the vgetty package on a voice application). I'm thinking about the
    > following different possibilities:
    I'd use HylaFAX, at [url]www.hylafax.org[/url]. The modem configurations are better
    maintained and so far as I know, it gets used more in industrial grade
    environments.
    > 1. Use the 2 com ports on the PC to connect to 2 external modems and add 2
    > internal modems (I believe most modems can be configured as COM3 and COM4).
    That won't work. COM3 and COM4 use the same IRQ's as COM1 and COM2, via
    an extremely confusing and often irritating signal splitting scheme. You
    need another serial card, perhaps a Rocketport 8-port serial card, or
    another couple of PCI modems. I'd actually recommend grabbing the
    Rocketport and using similar if not identical external modems, to avoid
    having to deal with those !#$ Winmodems.
    > 2. Buy a port extender card (which can have 2 upto 8 more COM. ports), then
    > connect all the COM ports to external modems.
    This is pretty well guaranteed to work.
    > 3. Buy a multiple modem card (some cards can have 4 to 8 modems on one
    > single card).
    Yeah, although these are often quite expensive.
    > 4. Buy 4 different internal modem cards (I'm not sure if its possible to use
    > them as COM1 to COM4 ?)
    Maybe, their IRQ's will be assigned depending on their jumpers, any PNP
    settings, etc. They'll show up as /dev/tty* devices on a modern Linux
    kernel.
    > 5. Or any other combination ???
    Two el cheap throwaway computers both running HylaFAX or vgetty with a
    pair of modems each. I've done this, rather than buy hardware.
    > Could anybody share any experience? What types of modems cards (especially
    > for multiport modem card) or extender card are recommended, since I want to
    > make sure that the Linux and vgetty driver can support them. Thanks in
    > advance.
    Rocketport has a very, very good name. I've used the ECPA expanders and
    not been real thrilled with them: whoever packaged their kernel driver
    tools should have been shot.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  5. #5

    [email]klamvcn.bc.ca[/email] wrote:
    > 2. Buy a port extender card (which can have 2 upto 8 more COM. ports),
    > then connect all the COM ports to external modems.
    >
    > 3. Buy a multiple modem card (some cards can have 4 to 8 modems on one
    > single card).
    .... either one of those would do, except i'd go for (2) since
    this would allow you complete control over each of the modems.
    and be sure to get REAL H/W modems.

    many years ago, i wrote multi-line BBS software and used the
    digiboard boards: [url]http://www.digi.com[/url]
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend: and inside a
    dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3f66b338$2shknews01>, <klamvcn.bc.ca> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Just want to seek for any recommendations for using multiple modem
    >configuration in Linux (currently using Redhat 7.2, may consider migrarte to
    >9.0). I'm going to install 4 modem lines connected to the Linux system
    >(using the vgetty package on a voice application). I'm thinking about the
    >following different possibilities:
    >
    >1. Use the 2 com ports on the PC to connect to 2 external modems and add 2
    >internal modems (I believe most modems can be configured as COM3 and COM4).
    >
    >2. Buy a port extender card (which can have 2 upto 8 more COM. ports), then
    >connect all the COM ports to external modems.
    >
    >3. Buy a multiple modem card (some cards can have 4 to 8 modems on one
    >single card).
    >
    >4. Buy 4 different internal modem cards (I'm not sure if its possible to use
    >them as COM1 to COM4 ?)
    >
    >5. Or any other combination ???
    >

    >Could anybody share any experience? What types of modems cards (especially
    >for multiport modem card) or extender card are recommended, since I want to
    >make sure that the Linux and vgetty driver can support them. Thanks in
    >advance.
    >
    >Rgds,
    >
    >K.Lam

    i have used cyclades multiple serial port cards successfully
    this requires external modems

    i dont like internal modems since sometimes they hang in such
    a manner as to require a cold reboot of the machine
    whereas an external modem can be powercycled with its own powerswitch

    sidd

    Guest