Professional Web Applications Themes

Multiple page TIFF file to Single PDF file. Doesnt' work. - Adobe Acrobat Windows

We have Adobe 6 Professional. In Adobe 5 we were able to take multiple page TIFF files and use Distiller to create one multiple-page PDF file from the multiple-page TIFF file. It won't work in 6 now. It will create a single PDF file for each page in the TIFF file. We see that Distiller is not separate anymore, so is there a setting somewhere that we can use to tell it to make ONE PDF file with multiple pages? Our users have literally thousands of multiple-page TIFF files that need to be converted to PDF files.. and having to ...

  1. #1

    Default Multiple page TIFF file to Single PDF file. Doesnt' work.

    We have Adobe 6 Professional. In Adobe 5 we were able to take multiple page TIFF files and use Distiller to create one multiple-page PDF file from the multiple-page TIFF file. It won't work in 6 now. It will create a single PDF file for each page in the TIFF file.

    We see that Distiller is not separate anymore, so is there a setting somewhere that we can use to tell it to make ONE PDF file with multiple pages? Our users have literally thousands of multiple-page TIFF files that need to be converted to PDF files.. and having to merge the PDF files after they're created is horribly bersome with the quantity we have to work with.

    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Melanie McManis
    org
    Melanie_McManis@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    In Adobe 5 we were able to take multiple page TIFF files and use Distiller
    to create one multiple-page PDF file from the multiple-page TIFF file.

    I think you are mistaken. Distiller only consumes PostScript files.

    We see that Distiller is not separate anymore,

    Distiller is still a separate .exe
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Well, I may have worded it incorrectly. When we installed Acrobat 5, it created two virtual printers - pdf writer and pdf distiller. When we wanted to create a multiple page PDF file, we would print to the pdf distiller "printer." Now, when we installed Acrobat 6, there is only one pdf printer, "Adobe pdf." When we print multiple-page TIFFs to this printer to create a PDF file, it creates one file for each of the pages in the TIFF file.

    Does this make more sense? If you have a better method, I would be thrilled. But, remember, we have an entire department of people who do nothing all day but create PDFs from the TIFFs, so we need it as streamlined as possible.

    Thanks!
    Melanie_McManis@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    In Acrobat 6, File>Open and navigate to your multipage tif and open the file, then save as a multipage pdf. This is the same behaviour in Acroabt 5.
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    That happens even when you choose File > Create PDF > From Multiple files in Acrobat 6?
    kay_anderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I'm still not being clear. I apologize. I'll start at the beginning. These TIFF files are created in a program called Keyfile after they are scanned. The method we have used in the past is to scan the doent using keyfile (we need to keep the TIFF images in the Keyfile program). A TIFF file is created. In Keyfile, we then "print" the doent to the Adobe Distiller printer and the multipage PDF file is created and stored wherever we have asked it to be stored.

    Keyfile is a doent storage program and the doents (TIFF) files are stored in the keyfile program - not anywhere you can navigate to from a windows program. You can't open Adobe and navigate to the files. That's why we always used the method of printing to the virtual printer.

    I can see that your method would work. BUT, that means the production team must save a copy of the TIFF file somewhere outside of Keyfile and then open Adobe and then find the TIFF and then save it. That would take them at least twice as long as it did in the past when they only had to hit the print button in Keyfile and it would print to the PDF distiller printer.

    So, I guess what I need to know is whether there is a setting somewhere deep in the virtual printer settings of the pdf printer that Adobe installs or in the Adobe program itself that would let us use the same method for creating multi-page PDFs from TIFFs without having to use the extra steps of saving the doent somewhere else and then opening another program, navigating to the doent and saving it in Adobe as a multipage PDF.

    I know it doesn't sound like a lot of extra work, but when you are working with the quantity we are, those extra steps add up to a lot of extra time.

    Thank you!
    Melanie_McManis@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    > remember, we have an entire department of people who do nothing all day but create PDFs from the TIFFs, so we need it as streamlined as possible.

    It may be a radical suggestion, but you could maybe replace that
    department with Acrobat Capture, which can automate this process.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    LOL.. personally, I couldn't agree more!
    Melanie_McManis@adobeforums.com Guest