Professional Web Applications Themes

Multiuser systems based on transactions - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Hi there!!! Where can I get info about how to build the sql logic/statements while under multiuser mode. Under multiuser mode I mean that data in the tables is modified by multiple users and all the activity is performed in the transaction bounds. I am using rowlock to synchronize the access to the table. Everything works quite fine under low load, but when the number of clients increases - locks can be observed and all clients begin to wait. So, where can I get the info how to build multiuser systems, synchronize access to the resources on the basis of ...

  1. #1

    Default Multiuser systems based on transactions

    Hi there!!!

    Where can I get info about how to build the sql logic/statements while under
    multiuser mode.

    Under multiuser mode I mean that data in the tables is modified by multiple
    users and all the activity is performed in the transaction bounds. I am
    using rowlock to synchronize the access to the table.

    Everything works quite fine under low load, but when the number of clients
    increases - locks can be observed and all clients begin to wait.

    So, where can I get the info how to build multiuser systems, synchronize
    access to the resources on the basis of the MS SQL Server???
    --
    Vadym Stetsyak
    PDS

    Vadym Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Multiuser systems based on transactions

    Why are you trying to control the locking manually? Do you have any special
    locking requirements? I would leave it to the RDBMS to handle. By deafault
    SQL Server runs under READ COMMITTED isolation level. If this is not
    suitable for your environment, you could switch to a suitable isolation
    level. Any isolation stricter than READ COMMITTED will result in reduction
    of concurrency while guranteeting better data accuracy.
    --
    HTH,
    Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

    "Vadym Stetsyak" <net> wrote in message
    Hi there!!!

    Where can I get info about how to build the sql logic/statements while under
    multiuser mode.

    Under multiuser mode I mean that data in the tables is modified by multiple
    users and all the activity is performed in the transaction bounds. I am
    using rowlock to synchronize the access to the table.

    Everything works quite fine under low load, but when the number of clients
    increases - locks can be observed and all clients begin to wait.

    So, where can I get the info how to build multiuser systems, synchronize
    access to the resources on the basis of the MS SQL Server???
    --
    Vadym Stetsyak
    PDS

    Narayana Guest

  3. #3

    If you are trying to understand how isolation and locking works, then first
    check out SQL Server Books Online. it has lots of useful information.

    Next, I'd suggest a good book like Inside SQL Server 2000:
    http://vyaskn.tripod.com/inside_microsoft_sql_server_2000.htm

    More SQL Server books can be found at: http://vyaskn.tripod.com/sqlbooks.htm

    --
    HTH,
    Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)
    http://vyaskn.tripod.com/
    What hardware is your SQL Server running on?
    http://vyaskn.tripod.com/poll.htm

    "Vadym Stetsyak" <net> wrote in message
    At present my isolation level is read uncommitted.

    Where can I get more information about solving such
    tasks???

    you have any special
    handle. By deafault
    this is not