Professional Web Applications Themes

Must I get a SCO ANSI terminal emulator? - SCO

I have a server running "Medical Manager" on SCO and I am using a DOS terminal with Procomm Plus. The resulting screen is only partially correct; so what might be the problem? This client unit was working OK before with a different terminal software *I think* but the drive was replaced and we really have no support. I don't have other terminal software. Now with various parameters and various terminal types I have settled on VT100 8,N,1 and 19200 bps as the way to login correclty, and exit successfully. But the resulting screens are off, one screen with a box ...

  1. #1

    Default Must I get a SCO ANSI terminal emulator?

    I have a server running "Medical Manager" on SCO and I am using a DOS
    terminal with Procomm Plus. The resulting screen is only partially correct;
    so what might be the problem?

    This client unit was working OK before with a different terminal software *I
    think* but the drive was replaced and we really have no support. I don't have
    other terminal software.

    Now with various parameters and various terminal types I have settled on
    VT100 8,N,1 and 19200 bps as the way to login correclty, and exit
    successfully.

    But the resulting screens are off, one screen with a box has the top of the
    box off-kilter and the characters 2F1G repeated in the misaligned areas (only
    2 or 3 times).

    What might be the problem?

    I know the terminal is connected to a serial port (directly) that is
    configured for SCO ANSI. But I don't have that term and it's $450 for DOS
    from some outfits.

    MUST I go SCO ANSI to solve this issue? Or is there another parameter that
    can solve it?

    Thanks.

    Richard B.
    nospamr_brummel@att.net Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Must I get a SCO ANSI terminal emulator?

    Witch emulation are you using in /etc/ttytype file for this tty connected to
    your Procomm ?

    It must be set as the same emultaion in Procomm !

    <net> wrote in message
    correct;
    *I
    have
    the
    (only

    Patrice Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Must I get a SCO ANSI terminal emulator? Reply-To: scomscxenitec.on.ca

    Patrice Brien enscribed:

    | <net> wrote in message
    | > I have a server running "Medical Manager" on SCO and I am using a DOS
    | > terminal with Procomm Plus. The resulting screen is only partially
    | correct;
    | > so what might be the problem?
    | >
    | > This client unit was working OK before with a different terminal software
    | *I
    | > think* but the drive was replaced and we really have no support. I don't
    | have
    | > other terminal software.
    | >
    | > Now with various parameters and various terminal types I have settled on
    | > VT100 8,N,1 and 19200 bps as the way to login correclty, and exit
    | > successfully.
    | >
    | > But the resulting screens are off, one screen with a box has the top of
    | the
    | > box off-kilter and the characters 2F1G repeated in the misaligned areas
    | (only
    | > 2 or 3 times).
    | >
    | > What might be the problem?
    | >
    | > I know the terminal is connected to a serial port (directly) that is
    | > configured for SCO ANSI. But I don't have that term and it's $450 for DOS
    | > from some outfits.
    | >
    | > MUST I go SCO ANSI to solve this issue? Or is there another parameter that
    | > can solve it?

    | Witch emulation are you using in /etc/ttytype file for this tty connected to
    | your Procomm ?
    |
    | It must be set as the same emultaion in Procomm !

    It really doesn't matter what he does. A common answer 10+ years ago
    was:

    Procomm is not a suitable terminal emulator and neither are any other of
    general ms-dos communication programs. They are all too occupied with
    being "cute" to do good emulation. To get proper terminal emulation,
    you have to get a program specifically designed for that purpose. Ice-Ten
    was one of the top choices and I can't remember the names of a few others.
    DoubleTerm???. Kermit may have been in the mix.

    Tom Parsons com
    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    Tom Parsons <com> wrote:

    See What are some terminal emulators I can use from windows?
    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec1.html#winterm

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Must I get a SCO ANSI terminal emulator? Reply-To:

    In article <com>, Tom Parsons <com> writes:
    -----------
    MS-DOS Kermit is in the mix of good terminal emulators. I recall
    that DEC itself rated the DEC Windows and MS-DOS Kermit emulations of VT
    as the best there was. No cute stuff present, accuracy was the goal.
    For MSK, see http://netlab1.usu.edu/pub/kermit/msk316.zip.

    Beware of "ANSI" terminal kinds. There really isn't such a beast,
    and what is called ANSI is often a podge of this and that. Hence names such
    as "SCO ANSI" and so on.
    Joe D.
    Disclaimer: I write MS-DOS Kermit
    Joe Guest

  6. #6

    "Joe Doupnik" <usu.edu> wrote in message
    writes: [/ref]
    DOS [/ref]
    partially [/ref]
    software [/ref]
    don't [/ref]
    settled on [/ref]
    top of [/ref]
    areas [/ref]
    is [/ref]
    for DOS [/ref]
    parameter that [/ref]
    connected to [/ref]
    of [/ref]
    Ice-Ten [/ref]
    others.
    > -----------
    > MS-DOS Kermit is in the mix of good terminal emulators. I recall
    > that DEC itself rated the DEC Windows and MS-DOS Kermit emulations of[/ref]
    VT
    such

    We have been using Tiny Term from Century Software for SCO emulation and
    it works very well. We started using it on DOS machines before Windows
    came out and still do. But I will admit we have upgraded 1 computer to
    windows 3.1 !! and many to Windows ME and the windows version works just
    as well. Unfortunately I think the company went out of business a number
    of years ago. I just checked ebay and they didn't have it listed there.
    Maybe googling it would help??? -bill

    bill Guest

  7. #7

    <net> wrote in message
    correct;

    Medical Manager includes (may be version dependent), a client terminal
    emulator of it's own that works quite well. You should see if your Medical
    Manager has it, or see if you can get it, it may be at no extra cost.

    Otherwise you should get a quality emulator, I think they all do best with
    SCO-ANSI emulation. My favorite is www.anzio.com, which offewrs a low cost
    Lite version. See Tony's web page review. Procomm don't cut it.

    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    In article <spiretech.com>, bill brown
    <com> wrote:

    >writes:
    > [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    You shouldn't spread false rumors. [is 'false rumoa'r an oxymoron?]

    Century Software is still in business.

    http://www.censoft.com

    I personally prefer Anzio Lite. www.anzio.com

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) wrote in message news:<usu.edu>...

    SCOANSI is defined as an ANSI X.64-1979 based terminal console as doented
    in the SCO OpenServer man pages.

    While MS-DOS Kermit does provide an excellent implementation of the VT320
    it makes no attempt to implement the SCOANSI terminal. The version of
    Kermit which does implement SCOANSI is Kermit 95 which is designed for
    Microsoft Windows 9x/NT4/2K/XP/2K3 and IBM OS/2

    http://www.kermit-project.org/k95.html

    Disclaimer: I am the author of Kermit 95
    Jeffrey Guest