Professional Web Applications Themes

MX2004 / internal error on export - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi there: MX2004 flatly refuses to export anything, giving me the good old error: an internal error occurred an internal error occurred (i.e. twice in the dialog box) I've checked everything I can find on this site, plenty of memory, TweakUI settings OK etc, but no joy. Fireworks 4 works fine... Anyone have any clues? PC / XP Home / MX2004 Thanks, Chris...

  1. #1

    Default MX2004 / internal error on export

    Hi there:

    MX2004 flatly refuses to export anything, giving me the good old error:

    an internal error occurred
    an internal error occurred

    (i.e. twice in the dialog box)

    I've checked everything I can find on this site, plenty of memory, TweakUI settings OK etc, but no joy. Fireworks 4 works fine...

    Anyone have any clues?

    PC / XP Home / MX2004

    Thanks,

    Chris

    wrightee Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MX2004 / internal error on export

    Chris:

    Disable TweakUI. More than a few problems can be tracked to this utility.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "wrightee" <com> wrote in message
    settings OK etc, but no joy. Fireworks 4 works fine...

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Everyone KNOWS that TweakUI messes up the new Fireworks release in more
    ways than one. Well, I just found one more cause to the "Internal Error"
    thingie. First off, a while back I posted that this was caused by moving
    the My Doents folder around. This has been confirmed by other users
    aswell. But, this is not a singlecause issue, since last nights
    reinstall of Windows XP in TweakUI "I did not touch - not even glanced
    at the change Special Folders setting. So why was Fireworks MX 2004
    giving me the same error? Engulfed with frustration I was about to throw
    my pc out the window. Instead I took a long hard look at TweakUI once
    again and I selected a setting which I had turned off:

    "Remember previously-used filenames" in the Common Dialogs group.
    I restarted Fireworks MX 2004 and whattayaknow... 'l'erreur a été
    allée'. (Error gone).

    If I jumped the gun in previous threads, or gave incorrect information
    (the moving My Doents folder was a valid error though!) - than I
    apologise.

    I hope this will lift some problems that people have so we can all use
    the new version without switching back to MX.

    Finally, I just want to say to this threads poster:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=fireworks+internal+error+mx+2004&hl=en&lr =&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=blckho%244d2%241%40forums.macromedia.com&rn um=2

    that I am experiencing the same problems where Dreamweaver MX 2004 is
    concerned. And I am sure MM is addressing these and other issues as we
    speak. Just have to be patient I guess. I the meantime, us users can
    make the difference by sharing fixes that we find along the way - such
    as the above one.

    Thanks!

    Coen

    "wrightee" com wrote:

    --

    Coen

    "The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."
    _______________________________
    Please, don't E-mail me about Fireworks questions. Please post them on
    the Forum. If otherwise - when I ask you to send me a file for helping
    you, send it to the address below.

    E-mail : ccnk at home.nl
    ================================
    Enhance Fireworks with these Productivity Resources

    *** DevNet ***
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/
    *** Styles ***
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/articles/style_samples.html
    http://wetworks.nl/freestyler
    http://richiebee.ca/fireworks.htm
    *** Flash Panels ***
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/studio/articles/fw_command_in_flash.html

    Coen Guest

  4. #4

    Aha... FYI: Uninstalled TweakUI, Fireworks MX refused to start. Re-installed it, it started, but still refused to export. Then I saw Coen's post and gave that a go (even though my tired brain is telling me it's the opposite of the fix that macromedia published http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/emerging_issues.htm on the emerging issues page)...

    Worked a treat. Thanks Coen, you've saved me wondering if it was worth the upgrade... :)

    wrightee Guest

  5. #5

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    Do you have some evidence of how it affects Fireworks or Dreamweaver? I
    have been using Tweak UI since I began using Windows, back in '97. I've
    never noticed any problems with it, and if it affects Macromedia
    software, it doesn't on my machine. The only way it could, as far as I
    know, is if the user installs the wrong version of Tweak UI for their
    OS, and if they use it to change a normally hidden setting of their OS
    that changes the way it interacts with the software.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  6. #6

    It is almost always worth upgrading Wrightee, but 'us humans' always
    tend to "complain first - ask questions later". Something that I am all
    too familiar with in my life. In this forum I have learned to "back off
    first - post solutions later". And I am comforted with the thought that
    there are others out there that understand your and mine frustration
    with these issues and don't mind if we rant that frustration every once
    in a while. :-)

    I hope you have alot of fun with the new release. Check out some of
    Richiebee's newest Fireworks MX 2004 Style stuff while you're at it:

    http://www.richiebee.ca/style.htm

    Happy designing!

    E-mail : ccnk at home.nl
    ================================

    "wrightee" com wrote:
    Re-installed it, it started, but still refused to export. Then I saw
    Coen's post and gave that a go (even though my tired brain is telling me
    it's the opposite of the fix that macromedia published
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/emerging_issues.htm
    on the emerging issues page)...
    worth the upgrade... :)

    Coen Guest

  7. #7

    Linda:

    Ask Coen. He has compiled it. Also, search the DW forum for instances. I
    have added TWEAKUI to my standard question list for DW crashes after seeing
    several associations with this utility recently.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "Linda Rathgeber" <rr.com> wrote in message
    news:bnhqtf$g5m$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    utility.

    Murray Guest

  9. #9

    Coen Naninck wrote:

    How?

    Who moved the My Doents folder around? You or Tweak UI? :-)

    Who turned the setting off? You or Tweak UI?

    Maybe I'm way off base here, but it looks to me like the problems are
    cause by users not fully understanding the consequences of changing
    certain OS settings with Tweak UI rather than Tweak UI itself. After
    all, installing Tweak UI doesn't change your system in any way. It
    doesn't interfere with Macromedia software, possibly until you use it to
    change certain settings after the MM software has been installed? It
    might be useful for you to get together with others experiencing this
    kind of problem and work on compiling a list of which setting changes
    affect Macromedia software, and how.

  10. #10

    I can't resist... Would it be unwise to hazard a guess that since the offending setting in TweakUI relates to the Common Dialog control, and that FW 4 works perfectly happily with TweakUI in any configuration as far as I can see, that MM have simply failed to error check in this release for the possibility of C.Dialog being configured slightly differently... Just a thought.

    Another penneth, I'm always moving the locations of the system folders around and that never causes any issues with DW or FW.

    Cheers!

    wrightee Guest

  11. #11

    It's more likely related to the fundamental changes (non-backwards
    compatible) that were made in moving from DW4/FW4 to DMX/FMX to make it more
    multi-user compliant.

    Who can say why?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  12. #12

    Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    | How?

    By messing up I mean that it causes the Internal Error thing. It's not a
    Fireworks bug, it's the TweakUI - Fireworks combo that don't like each
    other very much. Think they have marital problems or something.. :)

    | Who moved the My Doents folder around? You or Tweak UI? Who turned
    the setting off? You or Tweak UI?

    Point taken and you're right! It's not TweakUI that does it. But
    nonetheless, people use TweakUI is what people use to change these
    setting because they don't wanna mess with the Registry. So, I probably
    should've phrased that in a better way. Excuse e moi Linda! :-)

    E-mail : ccnk at home.nl

  13. #13

    You can't expect MM to check every setting in Windows Wrightee, that is
    simply impossible. They have deadlines to stick to and most of these
    programs nowadays aree launched simultaniously so deadlines become even
    more of an issue. I agree that software has to be checked thoroughly but
    there are limits.