Professional Web Applications Themes

My apache web site stopped working - Mac Applications & Software

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:47:12 GMT, John Shepardson (com) wrote:  Do you have a static IP address from Comcast? trullointeriors.com is mapped to 12.235.63.58. Do you always get that IP address from Comcast? For what it's worth, I can access your site just fine right now. Bev -- Bev A. Kupf "The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne" -- Chaucer...

  1. #1

    Default Re: My apache web site stopped working

    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  2. #2

    I have comcast and wanted a fixed IP address but it was too expensive
    with comcast. My DHCP server setup with Comcast changes the IP address
    every so often and unpredictably. Perhaps this is the problem. I can
    see your site with both IP address and named address.

    George Guest

  3. #3

    In article <sonic.net>,
    Kevin McMurtrie <net> wrote:

    this is not the problem. I have Comcast and have a full-time web server.
    Yes, it's contrary to their policy, but they don't seem to care as long as
    I don't pester them for technical assistance.

    they don't offer static IPs, but in the two years I've had their service
    (formally attbi), my IP has never changed, yet. Even if it did change
    frequently, I'd just go get a domain address at dyndns.org or someplace
    similar.

    the moment they start complaining about me hosting a (rather small) web
    site is the moment they lose their $65 a month from me. which is a small
    threat, I know--my point is that I think personal web services are
    something that are fairly well mainstream and routine nowadays and
    shouldn't be a problem for the cable company.

    now, if I'm trying to set up an online auction site . . . I could see where
    all the traffic might be a problem.
    sam Guest

  4. #4

    In article <mimnet.northwestern.edu>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:

    same here.
    sam Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you all for the help.

    First of all, for those of you looking at the web site, are you looking
    at trullointeriors.com ? That is what I am having problems with.

    2nd of all, I never said I had a fixed IP address. I just noticed that
    it didn't change for months, so I treat it as a fixed address. When it
    does change, I can go back to register.com and change it to the new
    address, and it won't change for ages.

    But, can anyone tell me are you seeing trullointeriors.com?

    Thank you,

    John
    John Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:30:10 GMT,
    John Shepardson (com) wrote:

    I tried both trullointeriors.com and the IP address.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  7. #7

    In article <attbi.com>,
    John Shepardson <com> wrote:

    Looks good to me.
    Jeffrey Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:30:10 GMT,
    John Shepardson (com) wrote:

    You are probably better of using one of the dynamic DNS solutions.
    When your IP address changes, even if you register the new address with
    register.com, it will take a while for the change to propagate through
    the DNS system. (A while could be anywhere from a few hours to a couple
    days). You won't experience this outage with a dynamic DNS solution.

    Just a suggestion.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  9. #9

    In article <mimnet.northwestern.edu>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:

    > You are probably better of using one of the dynamic DNS solutions.
    > When your IP address changes, even if you register the new address with
    > register.com, it will take a while for the change to propagate through
    > the DNS system. (A while could be anywhere from a few hours to a couple
    > days). You won't experience this outage with a dynamic DNS solution.
    >
    > Just a suggestion.
    >
    > Bev[/ref]

    Thank you all very much for your help. I have noticed it takes a day
    for the change to register, but I have only changed it twice in the last
    year.

    What is a dynamic DNS solution?

    John
    John Guest

  10. #10

    In article <attbi.com>,
    John Shepardson <com> wrote:

    FWIW, I can't see trullointeriors.com - can't ping it, either (11:46 PM
    PDT Sunday night).

    Check out dyndns.org or no-ip.com or Google for dynamic DNS and you'll
    come up with some others. They're generally free.

    With dynamic DNS, you give them your domain name and IP address, and
    they keep their servers updated to point to whatever your current IP
    address is. You run a dynamic update client to keep their servers
    updated with your current IP address. I used no-ip.com for some time
    running web and mail servers until Comcast took over and took a harder
    stance toward servers than ATTBI did. I used both their Mac OS X update
    client and Linux update client (slightly modified) and never had a
    problem. Of course, my IP address never changed either, but whatever.
    In any case, you're saved the hassle of constantly checking and changing
    your IP address as it's all handled quickly for you, and there is
    minimal delay while the update is done.

    --
    Larry Fransson
    Aviation software for Mac OS X!

  11. #11

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:37:54 GMT,
    John Shepardson (com) wrote:

    Hi John,

    This page - "http://www.technopagan.org/dynamic/", gives a description
    of static v/s dynamic DNS, as well as a list of dynamic DNS providers.

    Take care,
    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  12. #12

    Aw, you had to go and spoil everything. I was batting 100 there for a
    while. I just can't figure it.

    Would I have to close my account with register.com for dynamic DNS to
    work?

    All of this confuses me, because since I have been having this
    intermittent web site problem, the IP address has not changed.

    John
    John Guest

  13. #13

    In article <attbi.com>,
    John Shepardson <com> wrote:

    No. Your domain is still registered with register.com. The dynamic DNS
    provider just handles the job of keeping your domain pointed to the
    right IP address. The change you would make with register.com is to
    change the DNS addresses to use the dynamic DNS provider's name servers
    instead of register.com's name servers.

    FWIW again, I just tried trullointeriors.com. I can see it just fine.
    It just takes a really long time (the better part of a minute, which is
    next to forever in cybertime) to connect. That was probably the problem
    last night - I just didn't wait long enough.

  14. #14

    I think I may have solved the problem. Ithe dynamic dns was never a
    problem. It hasn't changed in over 6 months.

    I am going to start a new thread to continue whining about this problem.

    Thanks to those who took the time to help me.

    John
    John Guest