Professional Web Applications Themes

My control key doesn't work - Adobe Photoshop Elements

It's a REALLY weird problem, well.. out of 3 years of using ps this never happened before, I assumed it was photoshop that did this because it stopped working while I was messing around.. Anyway I plugged in another keyboard and restarted and the control key worked until I ran photoshop again, and then stopped. I plugged in my original keyboard while I was in photoshop and the control key worked once then stopped. Well, not it doesn't work at all even in windows and other programs, what am I going to do?...

  1. #1

    Default My control key doesn't work

    It's a REALLY weird problem, well.. out of 3 years of using ps this never happened before, I assumed it was photoshop that did this because it stopped working while I was messing around.. Anyway I plugged in another keyboard and restarted and the control key worked until I ran photoshop again, and then stopped. I plugged in my original keyboard while I was in photoshop and the control key worked once then stopped. Well, not it doesn't work at all even in windows and other programs, what am I going to do?
    justin kaminski Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: My control key doesn't work

    Justin,

    If I understand you correctly, once you launch Photoshop, the control keys
    becomes unusable and remains this way untill you reboot? If you, try these
    two things:

    - Reset your prefereces for Photoshop (press and hold CTRL-ALT-SHIFT
    immediately after launching Photoshop)

    Then, if this doesn't solve your problem, reinstall Photoshop.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  3. #3

    Justin,

    Perhaps another program has hijacked your control key, seriously.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  4. #4

    Ray - To clear things up, basically what happened is.. my control key does not work anymore after it stopped working while I was in Photoshop, dispite all of my tests and restarts it remains not working.

    Beth - I can't seem to translate the term "Keyboard Preferences" into win-talk =)

    Nancy - I thought of this, and I really can't think of anyway to prove that any other program is.. see, I can't cntrl-alt-delete to close all of my apps, so I had to comb the windows/system32 until i found the cntrl-alt-delete program and then I closed all the programs I could, still.. no functioning control key, I ran ad-aware and used the symantec online virus scanner and nothing turned up. I am getting weird spyware dialogs that aren't getting picked up by ad-aware.. I suspect that.. but they never occured when the control key stopped working.

    It seems I'm experiencing even more problems than I thought, today the computer that my control key doesn't work on now seemed to stop connecting to the internet even tho I see packets sending/recieveing and I can connect to the router.. I don't know what I'm going to do now, and I have so many clients on my back.
    justin kaminski Guest

  5. #5

    Justin,

    From my point of view, you might have a virus or something. You have not
    specified what OS version you're running. So, let's assume Windows Me or
    98. Try to boot from a diskette (the one Windows had you prepared while you
    installed it), then run Edit from the boot diskette. It's a text editor,
    but my goal is to test wheter or not the control key still works. If I
    remember correctly, using Control-O, you can open a file withing Edit. So
    run it and see if the Control key still works.

    Second thing, you mentionned Photoshop. What version are you using?

    Ray

    Ray Guest