Professional Web Applications Themes

My D100 pics - Photography

I've put some of the pics I took with the borrowed D100 on a freebie Geocities page, and wouldn't mind comment. Not so much on the composition, I mean, I know the schnauzers are almost the same colour as the background (but I like the effect) and the Welsh Terrier's blue lead stands out like, well, dogs balls (the dog regularly runs away and the owner wanted to see the lead so she could grab it quickly). I'm thinking more along the lines of the contrast and saturation, things that I could tweak in Photoshop. I've already had a play ...

  1. #1

    Default My D100 pics

    I've put some of the pics I took with the borrowed D100 on a freebie
    Geocities page, and wouldn't mind comment. Not so much on the composition, I
    mean, I know the schnauzers are almost the same colour as the background
    (but I like the effect) and the Welsh Terrier's blue lead stands out like,
    well, dogs balls (the dog regularly runs away and the owner wanted to see
    the lead so she could grab it quickly). I'm thinking more along the lines of
    the contrast and saturation, things that I could tweak in Photoshop. I've
    already had a play with the cattle dog pic so it's not as it came straight
    from the camera. Let me know what you think.

    http://www.geocities.com/codykato/Dog_pics.html

    Thanks

    Audrey

    Audrey Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: My D100 pics

    "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote in message

    of

    The main thing that stands out is that many of the shots have the dog in
    shadow with hot highlights in the sunny background, which really pulls your
    attention away from the subject. Effectively, the dogs are underexposed -
    the Beagle shot is the only one where you've got good key light on the
    subject. It's clear in other similar tunnel shots that clouds have come over
    making the overall shot look a lot flatter.

    For the dogs in shadow, one solution would be to create a reasonably
    accurate matte (selection) for the subject and pull up the highlights using
    the Levels tool on the foreground while dropping down the background to try
    and change the balance. This trick, however, will do nothing for the Collie
    shot as the black fur on its face is blending with deep shadows in the
    background.

    Even for other shots, this technique won't work too well, as the sunlit
    areas will still look too sharp and punchy. The next trick is to create fake
    depth of field by applying gaussian blur to the background - this is best
    done with a fairly large feather on the foreground selection so you get a
    progressive blurring. This should help a lot in kicking out the subject, but
    never looks great as the gaussian blur tends to be too uniform and often
    looks artificial if applied to heavily. You can get "true camera" blur
    plugins, but I've never used these in Photoshop - my main experience is in
    post production fixing dud shots for TV commercials.

    As a location tip, you should try opening up the aperture, take a few steps
    back and work on a longer zoom to get a nice shallow depth of field - that's
    a classic technique for ensuring your subject really stands out.

    Russ.

    Russ Guest

  3. #3

    Audrey wrote:

    1 Shooting too high get down to the dogs level noted in the tunnel shots
    2 longer lens needed.
    3 check you background - that fan dancer appy
    4 for the action shots most need cropping - too much other information -
    shoot the subject thats where the interest is.
    5 shoot where the dog is turning for the next object so that the dog is
    coming out of the photo - not looking or turning away.
    6 there is a popup flash for your portrait shots - balance the lighting
    more.
    7 there is an ideal position where to shoot action. I think that you
    have just missed it on the jump, too early on the beagle about right for
    the pom.

    Its hard to predict just when to press the button to capture the action
    and what makes it more difficult is the dog size and speed variation in
    agility work. It will take a few full cards to crack it right each time
    and (continuous motordrive is NOT the answer.)

    What quality from "that brilliant" D100 :)

    Well thats me done FWIW

    W1

    --
    to reply add "one" to make a zone

    Wiz Guest

  4. #4

    You have the subject in the shadow, with sun lit background. The
    exposure meter will decrease the exposure due to the bright
    background.

    If you still want the dogs in the shadow you could bring the dogs
    ALMOST out of the shadow so that the foreground is sunlit, but don't
    get the sunlit foreground in the shot. This will illuminate the dogs
    with diffuse REFLECTED light from the sun lit foreground, leading to a
    better lit shot of the dogs. If the foreground is grass, it will give
    the dogs a slightly greenish tinge, so you could carry a sheet of A3
    paper to put on the foreground instead.

    --
    dnas
    dnas's Profile: http://forums.eyo.com.au/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7277