Professional Web Applications Themes

My Enter/Return key acts as a column break - Adobe Indesign Windows

I encountered this problem in InDesign 1.5 and Illustrator 9.0 (on a PC)... I was hoping that upgrading to CS2 for both programs would fix this glitch, but it hasn't. The problem is that when I hit the enter key within a text box, it inserts a column break instead of a line break, and I've searched everything in my help files as well as character and paragraph settings, but I can't see what's causing it. I have started with a completely blank doent, all paragraph styles set to default/basic. I create a text box and insert placeholder text, then ...

  1. #1

    Default My Enter/Return key acts as a column break

    I encountered this problem in InDesign 1.5 and Illustrator 9.0 (on a PC)... I was hoping that upgrading to CS2 for both programs would fix this glitch, but it hasn't. The problem is that when I hit the enter key within a text box, it inserts a column break instead of a line break, and I've searched everything in my help files as well as character and paragraph settings, but I can't see what's causing it.

    I have started with a completely blank doent, all paragraph styles set to default/basic. I create a text box and insert placeholder text, then go to any word in that text block and hit Enter -- the rest of the text disappears into the as-yet uncreated next column. Could this be something that's set deep within my Adobe registry or something, out of reach of my paragraph/text controls?

    Paragraph Keep Options are set to Start Anywhere; I don't have any widow/orphan controls active.... Please make it stop, LOL!! I can't go on copy/pasting my line break characters every time I need one. Thanks for any helpful tips.
    Renatta_Rasmussen@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: My Enter/Return key acts as a column break

    The numeric keypad enter key, by design, inserts a column break.

    Either (a) Use the enter key that's above the shift key, not the enter key on the numeric keypad, or (b) if you really want to keep using the numeric keypad enter as a return key, go to Edit->Keyboard Shortcuts, activate Type Menu from the dropdown, select Insert Break Character: Column Break, and remove the shortcut.
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    <com> wrote in message
    <snipped>
    I have this happen when I use the number pad enter key instead of the text
    array enter key.

    Peggy Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks, I did know about this.... but I am using a notebook computer and the regular Return/Enter key when this is happening, not the numeric keypad.

    You did give me an idea, though... I don't customize shortcuts much, so perhaps I can set a simple one up as a normal line break.

    If anyone else reads this and has other suggestions, I welcome them!!! A "quick fix" will do for now, but I'd really rather correct the problem altogether. Thanks.
    Renatta_Rasmussen@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Try SharpKeys:
    <http://www.randyrants.com/2004/03/sharpkeys_11_of.html>

    Karen
    Karen Guest

  6. #6

    BRILLIANT!! This did the trick, Karen -- what a useful utility. I was able to re-map my return key to a simple return, correcting whatever was wrong in my registry.

    Many thanks!
    Renatta_Rasmussen@adobeforums.com Guest