Professional Web Applications Themes

my ethernet to my laptop/getting the tcp/X11 socket up - FreeBSD

Well, I need to get two problems off my chest, so to speak, well, really 3 problems. May as well hit the easiest first, which is getting the X11 tcp socket opened up. BACKGROUND: I want to give the database I wrote to the friend of mine I wrote it for. I got a laptop that sort of fell into my lap, but it didn't come with an ethernet, so I had a ethernet card lying around (I forget the name of the outboard cards for laptops, this is the very first time for me, using a laptop). I installed ...

  1. #1

    Default my ethernet to my laptop/getting the tcp/X11 socket up

    Well, I need to get two problems off my chest, so to speak, well, really
    3 problems. May as well hit the easiest first, which is getting the X11
    tcp socket opened up.

    BACKGROUND: I want to give the database I wrote to the friend of mine I
    wrote it for. I got a laptop that sort of fell into my lap, but it
    didn't come with an ethernet, so I had a ethernet card lying around (I
    forget the name of the outboard cards for laptops, this is the very
    first time for me, using a laptop). I installed it, it worked with the
    rl0 driver. Sometimes.

    Why sometimes? Smart guy, that's question 1. The indication I get is,
    I get an error (tcp error) soemthing like this one below (they're not
    all alike):

    Mar 30 21:37:52 september kernel: rl0: discard frame w/o leading
    ethernet header (len 2 pkt len 2)

    Well, the result is always the same, which is that the rl0 line stops
    dead in it's tracks. I can do a ifconfig down/ifconfig up and clear it,
    but every time I do that, I take a 1 in 5 chance of getting a kernel
    panic. It's not something I crave to do a lot, so I can't just dismiss
    it by making a utility to down/up the interface. I need this fixed.

    My kernel is 5.3 stable. I picked it because it was the only one of all
    of the ones I could pick (and I did try them all) that seemed compatible
    not only with the ethernet card, but also the usb trackball I like (I
    hate mice) and that the available X for that version knows the usb
    drivers. Too early and it won't work with ums0.

    OK, I'd like suggestions from someone who knows the history, is there
    any easy fix for the rl0 driver I'm using, that will allow it to work
    stably? Anyone know of any problem like what I've described?

    Second set of problems is easier to describe: I want to get the tcp
    sockets on X turned on. I know about the -no-tcp, and there are
    unfortunately too many places that it could be turned off. On my
    server, running FreeBSD-6.0 (it's an opteron, dual) I am running a very
    very reent kde (damn but that compiled easily!) On the other machine,
    well, today it's FreeBSD-5.3 like I said. Maybe you'll change my mind.
    On neither machine am I running any sort of login daemon, it's just
    startx. I sure wish that the darned security person who got them to
    bias the options against running that socket would undo his work. I
    don't mind the option existing, but making it the default was a rotten
    thing to do to me.

    I won't listen to anyone who tells me to upgrade my laptop for the hell
    of it, because my app is python/gtk, and needs too many parts to work
    together for me to risk breaking what works today just for the hell of
    it. Give me a solid reason, and then I'll do it.

    I'm quite, *quite* willing to buy another ehternet card. The one I have
    is a D-Link, the dmesg reports:

    miibus0: <MII bus> on rl0
    Mar 30 21:44:23 september kernel: rlphy0: <RealTek internal media
    interface> on miibus0
    Mar 30 21:44:23 september kernel: rlphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX,
    100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
    Mar 30 21:44:23 september kernel: rl0: Ethernet address: 00:0d:88:27:c4:38

    OK, so I'm looking for advice on the ethernet problem, and maybe

    Chuck Robey | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
    org | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

    New Year's Resolution: I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
    fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
    Signa Phi Nothing).
    Chuck Guest

  2. #2

    On Thursday 31 March 2005 12:41 pm, Chuck Robey wrote:
    [snip]
    [snip]

    Are you sure the network card itself isn't hosed?

    I had a cheapo network card that did something very similar. In
    fact, I'm pretty sure it had a realtek chipset too (although I'm
    not lifting a finger in their direction)... Worked fine, then
    weird errors and *lights out*... Turned out to be the NIC itself
    (why sometimes? who knows... temperature, defunct buffer
    maybe?).

    my .02,

    WizLayer
    wizlayer Guest

  3. #3

    wizlayer wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    > Are you sure the network card itself isn't hosed?
    >
    > I had a cheapo network card that did something very similar. In
    > fact, I'm pretty sure it had a realtek chipset too (although I'm
    > not lifting a finger in their direction)... Worked fine, then
    > weird errors and *lights out*... Turned out to be the NIC itself
    > (why sometimes? who knows... temperature, defunct buffer[/ref]

    After a lot of swimming thru the mail search page, I found that there
    are a LOT of problems that have in common these items:

    1) rl0 interface
    2) FreeBSD5.3
    3) error messages of the form "rl0: discard oversize frame"

    There are a pretty fair number of these, from various sources. Fact.
    At least one of them claimed it was solved in RELENG_5. Sure wish I
    could locate the other mails in THAT chain (I spent 20 minutes trying to).

    So my fix sounds like it boils down to one of two items: either getting
    someone who knows 5.3 better than I do to recommend a cardbus device
    that would be sound (a vendor) and I would run right out and buy it, or
    I suppose I could get the required sources burnt onto a cdrom, and get
    them on that laptop that way, recompile, and see about reinstalling.

    I am loath to try that second method only cause I have all that userland
    software that I mustn't lose compatibiilty with, and it's got all those
    dependencies (sleepycat database, python, gtk, 3 1/2 pounds of my
    coding). I want to do the minimum necessary to get it working.

    So, if one of you folks can recommend a cardbus card that I oughta buy,
    that doesn't use the rl0 driver, that would be nice. mail me a *.ko for
    it, and I would love you forever. Skip that last part if you want,
    cause maybe I could do it, but I wasn't joking about wanting to mess
    with this the least I can, it's a fragile stack of software.