Professional Web Applications Themes

My new pBook - Mac Applications & Software

I really like my new powerbook. It's the 12" combo drive version. And I'm wondering about buying some AppleCare. Are there things in this notebook that are likely to fail? -- Jack...

  1. #1

    Default My new pBook

    --
    Jack
    Jack B Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: My new pBook

    In article <030720032021193844%spamjackatbohnhoffdotcom.spam >, Jack B
    <spamjackatbohnhoffdotcom.spam> wrote:
    >I really like my new powerbook.
    >
    >It's the 12" combo drive version.
    >
    >And I'm wondering about buying some AppleCare. Are there things in this
    >notebook that are likely to fail?
    Sure. Some things are _guaranteed_ to fail. The question/gamble is
    *when?*

    Apple correlate the likelihood of failure with the cost of repair and
    work out the cost of the Applecare plan. The fact that a PB Applecare
    plan is more expensive than a desktop plan is a hint.

    From the reliability POV you would have been better off waiting for a
    second or third revision wherein most of the design/manufacturing flaws
    in the first rev will have been fixed.

    But you have nothing to worry about yet. Your warranty protects you for
    12 months and you can decide to take out Applecare just before the
    warranty expires.

    And since some PB repairs are grotesquely expensive, you should bite
    the bullet and get Applecare. In these days of accelerating
    unreliability, Apple's insurance business must be booming. How they
    compare with other laptop makers I don't know but it doesn't seem right
    that the main beneficiary of design/manufacturing shortcomings should
    be the perpetrator.

    Stan
    Stan The Man Guest

  3. #3

    Jack B <spamjackatbohnhoffdotcom.spam> wrote:
    > I really like my new powerbook.
    >
    > It's the 12" combo drive version.
    >
    > And I'm wondering about buying some AppleCare. Are there things in this
    > notebook that are likely to fail?
    Sure they will but the question is when. I bought my first PowerBook the
    very day Apple released the PB140 and I've bought a new one about every
    2 years since. With only two expections, I've always bought an end of
    lifed model when the prices were lower and all the kinks were worked
    out. I've always bought AppleCare for them.

    I consider myself pretty lucky - about half of them have needed repairs
    while I've owned them. I'm on my 7th notebook now (almost forgot the one
    that died in a car crash) and not counting the car wrecked PowerBook, 3
    have needed repairs and 3 haven't. The repairs included hard drives,
    keyboards, a floppy drive, and a logic board.

    Also, strictly speaking, Apple doesn't have to replace old batteries
    that begin to lose their ability to hold a charge. That isn't a design
    or manufacturing flaw - it is how batteries work. However, I've called a
    couple times about batteries and Apple has always sent out a new
    battery. That very nearly puts me at break even for AppleCare - maybe
    even a little over. Notebook repairs are hideously expensive.

    Now, on top of that you also get 3 years worth of AppleCare phone
    support. I'm a pretty experienced Mac person so I don't need that kind
    of hand holding, but lots of people do.

    So - from my perspective - all notebook owners should get an extended
    warranty. Also, make sure your homeowners insurance covers your computer
    for things like theft outside the house and stupid mistakes like pouring
    your coffee down the keyboard. (Or perhaps you'd rather look at a
    special computer policy not tied to your home owners insurance.) The
    rider on my policy costs an extra $50 a year and the only thing that
    isn't covered is theft from an unattended car.
    Strider Guest