Professional Web Applications Themes

My OSX is ed up? !! - Macromedia Freehand

G4/1.25Ghz. OS10.2.8. 1gb RAM. Freehand 9. Photoshop 7.0.1 3 partitions - 1. OSX at 20gb. 2. Work Files at 50gb. 3. Empty at 5gb. I was working on my old G4/OS9, but it didn't have the RAM capacity to handle some large PS files between 55 and 150mb, so I moved everything over to my new G4 to do the work there. (I haven't transferred all my design apps/work to the new G4 yet other than email and browsing, so it's still been my secondary unit). Today Photoshop started quitting on me in OSX while using the magnetic lasso. Several ...

  1. #1

    Default My OSX is ed up? !!

    G4/1.25Ghz. OS10.2.8. 1gb RAM.
    Freehand 9. Photoshop 7.0.1
    3 partitions -
    1. OSX at 20gb.
    2. Work Files at 50gb.
    3. Empty at 5gb.

    I was working on my old G4/OS9, but it didn't have the RAM capacity to handle
    some large PS files between 55 and 150mb, so I moved everything over to my new
    G4 to do the work there. (I haven't transferred all my design apps/work to the
    new G4 yet other than email and browsing, so it's still been my secondary unit).

    Today Photoshop started quitting on me in OSX while using the magnetic lasso.
    Several times. Thought I could up the memory but was told it's not necessary.
    I repaired permissions. Rebooted. Dumped PS prefs.
    Then Acrobat Reader quit and System Prefs too. Later a kernel panic happened.
    I get that about once every week or so.
    So what do you think caused all this?

    Then I started to place these images in Freehand 9 (it's a trade show display
    design) which works in Classic. FH quit on me several times. I upped its memory
    to 190mb thinking that was the problem.

    I've kept relaunching FH. It works for a while. Then it will crash.
    Stickies quit. System Prefs quit. Restarted Classic. It froze. Several times.
    Got a System Error 10. (What's that mean?)

    I've relaunched FH9 several times. It works for a while. Then just disappears
    and I have to relaunch.

    Clicked on RESTART. It froze at the blue screen. Restarted OSX again.

    I've had these kind of Apple program quits before. On occasion. But I've never
    used the OSX as much as today with Photoshop and Freehand.

    Netscape 7 has been quitting every time I log on to a website today. Tried to
    post this in Internet Explorer. It quit, too. Gotta write fast to get this on
    here!!

    So what is going on here? What to do?

    designnorth Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: My OSX is ed up? !!

    designnorth,

    I would do a clean install from your Mac OS disks and then upgrade to Panther. What brand of memory are you using?

    David
    davecc Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks davecc.
    I think it's Kensington.
    I have had Panther in a box for 4 months. Was referred to an 8o page Panther
    upgrade manual - Repeat 8o pages!!! Talk about intimidating! I'm a designer,
    not a techie.
    So I've been stuck using my design apps on OS9 on a G4/400 and staying away
    from my dual G4/1.25Ghz for these reasons.

    I did send out my dual G4 to an Apple Dealer last year because I was getting
    funny Apple apps quit back then. They said everthing checked out fine. So I've
    been using the dual for only browser and email use until now. When I started
    working in Freehand in Classic and Photoshop in OSX all hell seems to have
    broken loose. Even as I write this Internet Explorer quit once.
    Netscape quits everytime I log on. It's my regular browser.

    Have no idea how to resolve all this. I'm getting desperate!

    designnorth Guest

  4. #4

    designnorth, I also have the exact machine as my home computer and it works
    great. Upgrading to Panther is a breeze, even I could do it. If you know anyone
    who has tech knowledge, ask them to take out the added Ram and leave the
    machine with the Ram it came with and try the computer. If it works, then I
    would change the Ram to another brand. Internet Explorer and Netscape are not
    the best browsers out there, I would use Safari, Firefox or Camino. David

    davecc Guest

  5. #5

    designnorth,

    I am attaching this link so that you can get some tips on installing Panther.

    http://www.apple.com/support/panther/install/
    davecc Guest

  6. #6

    Does all of your RAM show up in the System Profile?

    Use Disk Utility to Verify Disk. A failing disk can cause no end of
    problems.

    Did you install OS9 from original Apple installer disks? Did you update it
    to OS 9.2?

    How are your fonts installed and managed?

    Have you increased the memory allocated to FH9 (Using Get Info in the
    finder)?

    Have you run a virus checker such as Disinfectant?

    I briefly tried working with FH9 in Classic and Photoshop CS on OSX. The
    setup was so flaky I gave up and moved to FHMX on OS X. I figured the move
    to OSX was inevitable, anyway. Now I rarely launch Classic.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, RAM shows up.
    I did an Apple HD test. shows all OK everytime.
    Used Disk Utility and Disk Warrior. Seems a little more stable now. My
    browsers haven't quit in the last 20 minutes!

    This dual G4/1.25Ghz came with OS9.2, OS10.2 and Classic.
    Have not loaded ANY of my own fonts. Just using fonts that came with the OS.

    Tried working on my files by restarting in OS9.2
    FH crashed with an Error 2 message the first time.
    Tried to Get Info to increase memory. The icons won't open in FH or PS! why
    not?
    Tried to make an alias of FH. There is no Make Alias option!
    Tried to delete a file but nothing happens.
    Isn't this supposed to be exactly like a normal OS9.2? I have 9.1 on my old G4
    and can do all of those actions.
    It's just that it doesn't have the RAM capacity to work on 240 mb Photoshop
    files.
    Aaargh!

    (Will be out of the office all day tomorrow so will check back on Monday AM.
    Thanks)

    designnorth Guest

  8. #8

    Check to see if you are running the Finder in "Simple" mode. This may
    explain why you cannot delete or do stuff like get info. From the
    Finder/Desktop > Edit > Preferences > General > Simple Finder check box.

    You should not be getting Kernel Panics once a week running OSX unless
    something is seriously wrong with your System or Hardware. The memory
    may be swappable from the non-working G4 to the working one (depending
    on which models they are). So unless the Memory is the problem in the
    first place you may be able to get a full working machine with enough
    RAM to work with.

    Rich

    designnorth wrote:
    Rich Guest