Professional Web Applications Themes

My Rectangular Marquee Tool Problem? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi, I have enjoyed reading these forums and hope you might help me on a PE2 problem I have just encountered. I have done an "Aqua Bubble Icon" Tutorial a few times with great results. However, the last couple of times I have tried using the rectangular marquee tool to do a step using ALT--the rectangle shifts to the left rather than conforming to the sphere shape. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I hope someone is familiar with this tutorial. It has been bugging me to the point of icon madness. :-) FYI, if this helps, I ...

  1. #1

    Default My Rectangular Marquee Tool Problem?

    Hi,

    I have enjoyed reading these forums and hope you might help me on a PE2 problem I have just encountered.

    I have done an "Aqua Bubble Icon" Tutorial a few times with great results. However, the last couple of times I have tried using the rectangular marquee tool to do a step using ALT--the rectangle shifts to the left rather than conforming to the sphere shape. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

    I hope someone is familiar with this tutorial. It has been bugging me to the point of icon madness. :-)

    FYI, if this helps, I am on a mac with OS X v.10.2.6.

    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Darby :-)
    Darby Stone Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: My Rectangular Marquee Tool Problem?

    Since this has been working for you in the past, try deleting the Elements Preference folder. It occasionally becomes corrupted and causes things that used to work right to quit.

    With Elements closed, click on your start up icon and then make a quick grab for the Command, Option, and Shift keys. Hold all three down at once until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes.

    If this doesn't clear up the problem, repost. Good luck!

    Beth Haney Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Beth,

    Thank-you for your reply to my problem. :-)

    I tried the nifty Command, Option, and Shift Key and I was able to delete the settings in PE2. (Neat tip, thanks for sharing!)

    However, the rectangular marquee tool is still shifting to the left when I press ALT and it still doesn't conform to the spherical shape like it did before. (Normally, in this tutorial--when you use ALT and the rec marquee tool on the sphere--it melds(?) to the curve of the sphere so that one can do a gradient and blur to create an aqua icon sphere/bubble--I think that's what I remember.)

    Any other ideas? :-)

    Thank-you again,
    Darby :-)
    Darby Stone Guest

  4. #4

    Darby,

    Would you happen to have "Snap To Gride" engaged ? Try to disengage it (View / Snap, and make sure there is no checkmarck before the word Snap).

    Report back if it doesn't work.

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Raymond,

    Thanks for the tip of disengaging "snap to grid."

    Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem. I uninstalled an icon program that I thought might be interfering--still hasn't fixed the glitch.

    I appreciate all the advice!

    Thanks again,
    Darby :-)
    Darby Stone Guest

  6. #6

    Darby

    If you could say where the tutorial was, maybe we could try to te the problem.

    Thanks

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  7. #7

    Darby,

    Not sure if I totally get the problem here, but a possibility has to do with keystrokes and the order you do them in. If you press Alt while drawing a selection, it draws from center instead of from the side, which might account for a visible shift in positioning. Shift, of course constrains to a square or circle (depending on which marquee). Using these accelerator keys after making an initial selections changes their functions to (shift) add to a selection (alt) subtract from a selection. This may be totally off target to your problem, but it may be useful to someone.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  8. #8

    Hi again,

    Paul: I'm looking for the link to the tutorial. Argg. I'll post it when I can find things again. :-)

    Richard: That does help. I now know the difference between ALT and SHIFT.

    Normally, when I use the ALT and the marquee around the sphere--the "dashed flashing" lighted trail thingee (aren't I a genius, lol) conforms to the shape of the sphere and takes on a curved trail. Then I am able to apply the gradient tool. However, right now, the tool won't conform to the shape of the sphere because it keeps shifting or it just remains a box shape.

    If that doesn't make sense--I apologize.

    I'm going to try and find the tutorial link and retry the whole thing from the start. Maybe, crossing my fingers, it will work and all of this has been in my head. Lol.

    Thanks again!
    All these tips do help :-)

    Beep Beep,
    Darby