Professional Web Applications Themes

MyODBC can't connet to local MySQL server - MySQL

I'm having a problem with what should be a straightforward LAN config. I have MySQL running on Mandriva 2006. I have MyODBC 3.51 installed on WinXP. The local IP for MySQL is 192.168.0.3. The local IP for WinXP is 192.168.0.1. I setup MyODBC as follows: Data Source Name: MyODBC Description: MySQL Server Server: 192.168.0.103 User: [valid_user] Password: [valid_pw] Database: [valid_db] The error message is [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.0.103' (10061) I have checked the docs, but nothing obvious was found. Can someone offer me a clue? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default MyODBC can't connet to local MySQL server

    I'm having a problem with what should be a straightforward LAN config.

    I have MySQL running on Mandriva 2006. I have MyODBC 3.51 installed on
    WinXP.

    The local IP for MySQL is 192.168.0.3. The local IP for WinXP is
    192.168.0.1.

    I setup MyODBC as follows:

    Data Source Name: MyODBC
    Server: 192.168.0.103
    User: [valid_user]
    Password: [valid_pw]
    Database: [valid_db]

    The error message is

    [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.0.103'
    (10061)

    I have checked the docs, but nothing obvious was found.

    Can someone offer me a clue? Thanks.

    Bosconian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MyODBC can't connet to local MySQL server

    Bosconian wrote:
    > I'm having a problem with what should be a straightforward LAN config.
    >
    > I have MySQL running on Mandriva 2006. I have MyODBC 3.51 installed on
    > WinXP.
    >
    > The local IP for MySQL is 192.168.0.3. The local IP for WinXP is
    > 192.168.0.1.
    >
    > I setup MyODBC as follows:
    >
    > Data Source Name: MyODBC
    > Server: 192.168.0.103
    > User: [valid_user]
    > Password: [valid_pw]
    > Database: [valid_db]
    >
    > The error message is
    >
    > [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.0.103'
    > (10061)
    >
    > I have checked the docs, but nothing obvious was found.
    >
    > Can someone offer me a clue? Thanks.

    Which one is it - 192.168.0.3 or 192.168.0.103?

    And is MySQL listening on the default port (3306)?

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  3. #3

    "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Bosconian wrote:
    > > I'm having a problem with what should be a straightforward LAN config.
    > >
    > > I have MySQL running on Mandriva 2006. I have MyODBC 3.51 installed on
    > > WinXP.
    > >
    > > The local IP for MySQL is 192.168.0.3. The local IP for WinXP is
    > > 192.168.0.1.
    > >
    > > I setup MyODBC as follows:
    > >
    > > Data Source Name: MyODBC
    > > Server: 192.168.0.103
    > > User: [valid_user]
    > > Password: [valid_pw]
    > > Database: [valid_db]
    > >
    > > The error message is
    > >
    > > [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on
    '192.168.0.103'
    > > (10061)
    > >
    > > I have checked the docs, but nothing obvious was found.
    > >
    > > Can someone offer me a clue? Thanks.
    > >

    > Which one is it - 192.168.0.3 or 192.168.0.103?
    >
    > And is MySQL listening on the default port (3306)?
    >
    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    > ==================
    Good call. MySQL is 192.168.0.103.

    Yes, I'm using the default port 3306. (Just double-checked to be sure.) I
    haven't messed with the default configuration.

    Bosconian Guest

  4. #4

    Bosconian wrote:
    > "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bosconian wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm having a problem with what should be a straightforward LAN config.
    >>>
    >>>I have MySQL running on Mandriva 2006. I have MyODBC 3.51 installed on
    >>>WinXP.
    >>>
    >>>The local IP for MySQL is 192.168.0.3. The local IP for WinXP is
    >>>192.168.0.1.
    >>>
    >>>I setup MyODBC as follows:
    >>>
    >>>Data Source Name: MyODBC
    >>>Server: 192.168.0.103
    >>>User: [valid_user]
    >>>Password: [valid_pw]
    >>>Database: [valid_db]
    >>>
    >>>The error message is
    >>>
    >>>[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on
    >
    > '192.168.0.103'
    >
    >>>(10061)
    >>>
    >>>I have checked the docs, but nothing obvious was found.
    >>>
    >>>Can someone offer me a clue? Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Which one is it - 192.168.0.3 or 192.168.0.103?
    >>
    >>And is MySQL listening on the default port (3306)?
    >>
    >>--
    >>==================
    >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    >>Jerry Stuckle
    >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    >>==================
    >

    > Good call. MySQL is 192.168.0.103.
    >
    > Yes, I'm using the default port 3306. (Just double-checked to be sure.) I
    > haven't messed with the default configuration.

    OK, did you verify that MySQL is listening on the port, or are you going
    by the configuration?

    What version of MySQL are you using?

    Also, can you connect to it from a command prompt, i.e.

    mysql -h 192.168.0.103 -u (userid) -p

    Then enter the password when requested?

    --
    ==================

  5. #5

    > Bosconian wrote:
    > > "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message

    > > '192.168.0.103'

    > >>Which one is it - 192.168.0.3 or 192.168.0.103?
    > >>
    > >>And is MySQL listening on the default port (3306)?
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>==================
    > >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    > >>Jerry Stuckle
    > >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    > >>==================
    > >

    > > Good call. MySQL is 192.168.0.103.
    > >
    > > Yes, I'm using the default port 3306. (Just double-checked to be sure.)
    > > haven't messed with the default configuration.
    > >

    > OK, did you verify that MySQL is listening on the port, or are you going
    > by the configuration?
    >
    > What version of MySQL are you using?
    >
    > Also, can you connect to it from a command prompt, i.e.
    >
    > mysql -h 192.168.0.103 -u (userid) -p
    >
    > Then enter the password when requested?
    >

    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    > ==================
    Jerry, thanks for the diagnostic tips. I believe you have helped me
    identified the root of my problem.

    I'm using MySQL 4.1.12.

    I see by examining the variable list that 'port' is set to '3306'. The list
    also shows that 'host' is set to nothing (or 'no default value'.)

    Thusly I can connect from the comment prompt using

    mysql -h localhost -u [userid] -p

    but not

    mysql -h 192.168.0.103 -u [userid] -p

    I presumably need to define a name to 'host'. What's the syntax or process
    for doing so? (I've never had to bother with this before as having always
    used 'localhost' for all my local connections.)

    On a related note 192.168.0.103 has been assigned a name in etc/hosts.
    Pinging from the command prompt using the name returns a response.

    Thanks.

    Bosconian Guest

  6. #6

    Bosconian wrote:
    > "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bosconian wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message

    >>>'192.168.0.103'

    >>>Good call. MySQL is 192.168.0.103.
    >>>
    >>>Yes, I'm using the default port 3306. (Just double-checked to be sure.)

    >>>haven't messed with the default configuration.
    >>>

    >>OK, did you verify that MySQL is listening on the port, or are you going
    >>by the configuration?
    >>
    >>What version of MySQL are you using?
    >>
    >>Also, can you connect to it from a command prompt, i.e.
    >>
    >> mysql -h 192.168.0.103 -u (userid) -p
    >>
    >>Then enter the password when requested?
    >>

    >>--
    >>==================
    >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    >>Jerry Stuckle
    >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    >>==================
    >

    > Jerry, thanks for the diagnostic tips. I believe you have helped me
    > identified the root of my problem.
    >
    > I'm using MySQL 4.1.12.
    >
    > I see by examining the variable list that 'port' is set to '3306'. The list
    > also shows that 'host' is set to nothing (or 'no default value'.)
    >
    > Thusly I can connect from the comment prompt using
    >
    > mysql -h localhost -u [userid] -p
    >
    > but not
    >
    > mysql -h 192.168.0.103 -u [userid] -p
    >
    > I presumably need to define a name to 'host'. What's the syntax or process
    > for doing so? (I've never had to bother with this before as having always
    > used 'localhost' for all my local connections.)
    >
    > On a related note 192.168.0.103 has been assigned a name in etc/hosts.
    > Pinging from the command prompt using the name returns a response.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Ok, first of all - are you able to define the file as an ODBC database
    on your local system with the Administrative Tools->Data Sources?

    Define the connection and your userid and password. Clicking on the
    dropdown listbox should then give you a list of available databases on
    the remote system.

    Select your database and click on Test to test the connection.

    What happens then?

    --
    ==================

  7. #7

    > Bosconian wrote:
    > > "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message

    > >>OK, did you verify that MySQL is listening on the port, or are you going
    > >>by the configuration?
    > >>
    > >>What version of MySQL are you using?
    > >>
    > >>Also, can you connect to it from a command prompt, i.e.
    > >>
    > >> mysql -h 192.168.0.103 -u (userid) -p
    > >>
    > >>Then enter the password when requested?
    > >>

    > >>--
    > >>==================
    > >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    > >>Jerry Stuckle
    > >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    > >>==================
    > >

    > > Jerry, thanks for the diagnostic tips. I believe you have helped me
    > > identified the root of my problem.
    > >
    > > I'm using MySQL 4.1.12.
    > >
    > > I see by examining the variable list that 'port' is set to '3306'. The
    list
    > > also shows that 'host' is set to nothing (or 'no default value'.)
    > >
    > > Thusly I can connect from the comment prompt using
    > >
    > > mysql -h localhost -u [userid] -p
    > >
    > > but not
    > >
    > > mysql -h 192.168.0.103 -u [userid] -p
    > >
    > > I presumably need to define a name to 'host'. What's the syntax or
    process
    > > for doing so? (I've never had to bother with this before as having
    always
    > > used 'localhost' for all my local connections.)
    > >
    > > On a related note 192.168.0.103 has been assigned a name in etc/hosts.
    > > Pinging from the command prompt using the name returns a response.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > Ok, first of all - are you able to define the file as an ODBC database
    > on your local system with the Administrative Tools->Data Sources?
    >
    > Define the connection and your userid and password. Clicking on the
    > dropdown listbox should then give you a list of available databases on
    > the remote system.
    >
    > Select your database and click on Test to test the connection.
    >
    > What happens then?
    >

    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    > ==================
    Jerry, thanks again for your reply.

    I'm not completely clear what you're asking.

    MyODBC is correctly installed on my WinXP Pro machine and is accessible from
    Administrative Tools->Data Sources.

    In fact, I am successfully using MyODBC to access another remote database
    and am able to obtain a list of databases as you described.

    The problem with my local database seems to be more fundamental. MyODBC
    doesn't complain about bad usernames or passwords, but is rather completely
    unable to find the database and displays the message:

    [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.0.103'

    I have no problems connecting to the database from Apache (which resides on
    the same machine.)

    I'm missing something simple here, but can't determine what it is. Both the
    WinXP and Mandriva machines are behind the same firewall.

    Any other ideas?

    Bosconian Guest

  8. #8

    Bosconian wrote:
    > "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bosconian wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message

    > config.

    > on

    >>>Jerry, thanks for the diagnostic tips. I believe you have helped me
    >>>identified the root of my problem.
    >>>
    >>>I'm using MySQL 4.1.12.
    >>>
    >>>I see by examining the variable list that 'port' is set to '3306'. The
    >
    > list
    >
    >>>also shows that 'host' is set to nothing (or 'no default value'.)
    >>>
    >>>Thusly I can connect from the comment prompt using
    >>>
    >>>mysql -h localhost -u [userid] -p
    >>>
    >>>but not
    >>>
    >>>mysql -h 192.168.0.103 -u [userid] -p
    >>>
    >>>I presumably need to define a name to 'host'. What's the syntax or
    >
    > process
    >
    >>>for doing so? (I've never had to bother with this before as having
    >
    > always
    >
    >>>used 'localhost' for all my local connections.)
    >>>
    >>>On a related note 192.168.0.103 has been assigned a name in etc/hosts.
    >>>Pinging from the command prompt using the name returns a response.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Ok, first of all - are you able to define the file as an ODBC database
    >>on your local system with the Administrative Tools->Data Sources?
    >>
    >>Define the connection and your userid and password. Clicking on the
    >>dropdown listbox should then give you a list of available databases on
    >>the remote system.
    >>
    >>Select your database and click on Test to test the connection.
    >>
    >>What happens then?
    >>

    >>--
    >>==================
    >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    >>Jerry Stuckle
    >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    >>==================
    >

    > Jerry, thanks again for your reply.
    >
    > I'm not completely clear what you're asking.
    >
    > MyODBC is correctly installed on my WinXP Pro machine and is accessible from
    > Administrative Tools->Data Sources.
    >
    > In fact, I am successfully using MyODBC to access another remote database
    > and am able to obtain a list of databases as you described.
    >
    > The problem with my local database seems to be more fundamental. MyODBC
    > doesn't complain about bad usernames or passwords, but is rather completely
    > unable to find the database and displays the message:
    >
    > [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.0.103'
    >
    > I have no problems connecting to the database from Apache (which resides on
    > the same machine.)
    >
    > I'm missing something simple here, but can't determine what it is. Both the
    > WinXP and Mandriva machines are behind the same firewall.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    I understand MyODBC is working to connect to other databases. What I'm
    wondering is can you connect to THIS database via ODBC.

    First see if you get the list of databases on THAT server. Then see if
    you can connect to your desired database via the ODBC control panel.

    Just because Apache on the remote system can connect to it doesn't mean
    a lot. Accessing from a remote machine uses different access methods
    (TCP/IP sockets vs. Unix sockets or named pipes, for instance).

    --
    ==================

  9. #9

    > Bosconian wrote:
    > > "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message

    > > config.

    > > on

    > > list

    > > process

    > > always

    > >>Ok, first of all - are you able to define the file as an ODBC database
    > >>on your local system with the Administrative Tools->Data Sources?
    > >>
    > >>Define the connection and your userid and password. Clicking on the
    > >>dropdown listbox should then give you a list of available databases on
    > >>the remote system.
    > >>
    > >>Select your database and click on Test to test the connection.
    > >>
    > >>What happens then?
    > >>

    > >>--
    > >>==================
    > >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    > >>Jerry Stuckle
    > >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    > >>==================
    > >

    > > Jerry, thanks again for your reply.
    > >
    > > I'm not completely clear what you're asking.
    > >
    > > MyODBC is correctly installed on my WinXP Pro machine and is accessible
    from
    > > Administrative Tools->Data Sources.
    > >
    > > In fact, I am successfully using MyODBC to access another remote
    database
    > > and am able to obtain a list of databases as you described.
    > >
    > > The problem with my local database seems to be more fundamental. MyODBC
    > > doesn't complain about bad usernames or passwords, but is rather
    completely
    > > unable to find the database and displays the message:
    > >
    > > [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on
    '192.168.0.103'

    > > I have no problems connecting to the database from Apache (which resides
    on
    > > the same machine.)
    > >
    > > I'm missing something simple here, but can't determine what it is. Both
    the
    > > WinXP and Mandriva machines are behind the same firewall.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas?
    > >

    > I understand MyODBC is working to connect to other databases. What I'm
    > wondering is can you connect to THIS database via ODBC.
    >
    > First see if you get the list of databases on THAT server. Then see if
    > you can connect to your desired database via the ODBC control panel.
    >
    > Just because Apache on the remote system can connect to it doesn't mean
    > a lot. Accessing from a remote machine uses different access methods
    > (TCP/IP sockets vs. Unix sockets or named pipes, for instance).
    >
    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    > ==================
    Bottom line, I cannot currently connect to the database via MyODBC. I cannot
    obtain a list of databases because the server cannot be found. According to
    MyODBC a MySQL server does not exist at 192.168.0.103. This leads me to
    believe that it's a host name issue. If the MySQL variable 'host' is set to
    match the name associated with 192.168.0.103 in etc/hosts, shouldn't MyODBC
    then be able to find the server?

    Bosconian Guest

  10. #10

    Bosconian wrote:
    > "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bosconian wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message

    >>>config.

    >>>on

    > sure.)

    > going

    >>>list

    >>>process

    >>>always

    >>>Jerry, thanks again for your reply.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not completely clear what you're asking.
    >>>
    >>>MyODBC is correctly installed on my WinXP Pro machine and is accessible
    >
    > from
    >
    >>>Administrative Tools->Data Sources.
    >>>
    >>>In fact, I am successfully using MyODBC to access another remote
    >
    > database
    >
    >>>and am able to obtain a list of databases as you described.
    >>>
    >>>The problem with my local database seems to be more fundamental. MyODBC
    >>>doesn't complain about bad usernames or passwords, but is rather
    >
    > completely
    >
    >>>unable to find the database and displays the message:
    >>>
    >>>[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on
    >
    > '192.168.0.103'
    >
    >>>I have no problems connecting to the database from Apache (which resides
    >
    > on
    >
    >>>the same machine.)
    >>>
    >>>I'm missing something simple here, but can't determine what it is. Both
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>WinXP and Mandriva machines are behind the same firewall.
    >>>
    >>>Any other ideas?
    >>>

    >>I understand MyODBC is working to connect to other databases. What I'm
    >>wondering is can you connect to THIS database via ODBC.
    >>
    >>First see if you get the list of databases on THAT server. Then see if
    >>you can connect to your desired database via the ODBC control panel.
    >>
    >>Just because Apache on the remote system can connect to it doesn't mean
    >>a lot. Accessing from a remote machine uses different access methods
    >>(TCP/IP sockets vs. Unix sockets or named pipes, for instance).
    >>
    >>--
    >>==================
    >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    >>Jerry Stuckle
    >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    >>==================
    >

    > Bottom line, I cannot currently connect to the database via MyODBC. I cannot
    > obtain a list of databases because the server cannot be found. According to
    > MyODBC a MySQL server does not exist at 192.168.0.103. This leads me to
    > believe that it's a host name issue. If the MySQL variable 'host' is set to
    > match the name associated with 192.168.0.103 in etc/hosts, shouldn't MyODBC
    > then be able to find the server?

    In that case it sounds like MySQL isn't actually listening on port 3306.

    If this is a Windows machine - what does

    netstat -a

    show? It should show MySQL listening on port 3306.

    --
    ==================

  11. #11

    > Bosconian wrote:
    > > "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message

    > > sure.)

    > > going

    The

    > > from

    > > database

    > > completely

    > > '192.168.0.103'

    > > on

    > > the

    > >>I understand MyODBC is working to connect to other databases. What I'm
    > >>wondering is can you connect to THIS database via ODBC.
    > >>
    > >>First see if you get the list of databases on THAT server. Then see if
    > >>you can connect to your desired database via the ODBC control panel.
    > >>
    > >>Just because Apache on the remote system can connect to it doesn't mean
    > >>a lot. Accessing from a remote machine uses different access methods
    > >>(TCP/IP sockets vs. Unix sockets or named pipes, for instance).
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>==================
    > >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    > >>Jerry Stuckle
    > >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    > >>==================
    > >

    > > Bottom line, I cannot currently connect to the database via MyODBC. I
    cannot
    > > obtain a list of databases because the server cannot be found. According
    > > MyODBC a MySQL server does not exist at 192.168.0.103. This leads me to
    > > believe that it's a host name issue. If the MySQL variable 'host' is set
    > > match the name associated with 192.168.0.103 in etc/hosts, shouldn't
    MyODBC
    > > then be able to find the server?
    > >

    > In that case it sounds like MySQL isn't actually listening on port 3306.
    >
    > If this is a Windows machine - what does
    >
    > netstat -a
    >
    > show? It should show MySQL listening on port 3306.
    >

    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    > ==================
    Success!

    Jerry, you were absolutely right. MySQL wasn't listening to port 3306, but
    for a different reason.

    It turns out the option "--skip-networking" was specified at start-up (in
    etc/sysconfig/mysqld) which prevented MySQL from listening for remote client
    connection requests. MySQL by default (for security reasons) is configured
    to only accept requests from local clients running on the same host. I
    simply commented out this line, restarted the server and vialo! MyODBC is
    happy now.

    Thank you very much for your help AND patience. You definitely pointed me in
    the right direction and I learned a valuable lesson about make assumptions
    when it comes to default configurations.

    Best regards,
    Bos

    Bosconian Guest

  12. #12

    "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Bosconian wrote:
    > > "Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklexattglobal.net> wrote in message

    > > sure.)

    > > going

    The

    > > from

    > > database

    > > completely

    > > '192.168.0.103'

    > > on

    > > the

    > >>I understand MyODBC is working to connect to other databases. What I'm
    > >>wondering is can you connect to THIS database via ODBC.
    > >>
    > >>First see if you get the list of databases on THAT server. Then see if
    > >>you can connect to your desired database via the ODBC control panel.
    > >>
    > >>Just because Apache on the remote system can connect to it doesn't mean
    > >>a lot. Accessing from a remote machine uses different access methods
    > >>(TCP/IP sockets vs. Unix sockets or named pipes, for instance).
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>==================
    > >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    > >>Jerry Stuckle
    > >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    > >>==================
    > >

    > > Bottom line, I cannot currently connect to the database via MyODBC. I
    cannot
    > > obtain a list of databases because the server cannot be found. According
    > > MyODBC a MySQL server does not exist at 192.168.0.103. This leads me to
    > > believe that it's a host name issue. If the MySQL variable 'host' is set
    > > match the name associated with 192.168.0.103 in etc/hosts, shouldn't
    MyODBC
    > > then be able to find the server?
    > >

    > In that case it sounds like MySQL isn't actually listening on port 3306.
    >
    > If this is a Windows machine - what does
    >
    > netstat -a
    >
    > show? It should show MySQL listening on port 3306.
    >

    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    > ==================
    I should add that using the MySQL CLI is the easiest and direct way to check
    which port the daemon is using. Simply type "show variables;" for all or
    "show variables like 'port';" for the port. Likewise, type "show variables
    like 'skip_networking';" to see whether remote client requests are allowed
    (should be set to 'off'.)

    Bosconian Guest

  13. #13

    Hi Bosconian, I have been watching your tete-a-tete with Jerry and I was
    impressed by the help he gave you. I think we should make this type of guy
    happy in this forum lest we lose him.

    Great job Jerry!

    --B

    news:tuOdnVLNd7PibZjZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2dcomcast.com. ..

    Benedictum Guest