Professional Web Applications Themes

MySQL 5 32-bit vs 64-bit performance? - MySQL

I've tried searching online for performance comparisons between MySQL 32 and 64-bit platforms, but can only find benchmarks dating back a few years using MySQL 4.x . Now we're on MySQL 5.0 and I cannot seem to find such evidence backing up the speed benefits (or otherwise) of a 64-bit processor. We've got the MySQL Enterprise 64-bit version running on an Intel Core Duo based server system. However, a Chinese language fulltext search patch being developed by MySQL in China is to be installed for us - but only the 32-bit version of MySQL is currently available, which effectively means ...

  1. #1

    Default MySQL 5 32-bit vs 64-bit performance?

    I've tried searching online for performance comparisons between MySQL
    32 and 64-bit platforms, but can only find benchmarks dating back a
    few years using MySQL 4.x . Now we're on MySQL 5.0 and I cannot seem
    to find such evidence backing up the speed benefits (or otherwise) of
    a 64-bit processor.

    We've got the MySQL Enterprise 64-bit version running on an Intel Core
    Duo based server system. However, a Chinese language fulltext search
    patch being developed by MySQL in China is to be installed for us -
    but only the 32-bit version of MySQL is currently available, which
    effectively means downgrading if I want to benefit from that patch.

    - but I cannot find evidence of whether 64-bit is even beneficial in
    the first place.

    Anyone able to give me some semi-concrete performance comparisons?

    Thanks!

    Terence

    terence.parker@gmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MySQL 5 32-bit vs 64-bit performance?

    com wrote:

    I, but unless you have more than 4 gig of memory, you really don't get a
    gain from a 64bit OS vs. a 32bit. There are performance hits to look past the 4
    gig window with a 32bit OS. In a 2 gig box, their is almost imperceptable
    overhead of the 64bit OS, yet you have to also endure the lack of hardware
    driver intergration, so you buy yourself trouble for no gain.
    Walter Guest

  3. #3

    Walter Vaughan schrieb:

    Not entirely true - in practice, gains can start at >2GB.

    That's because half of the address space is usually reserved for shared
    libraries, which means that if the OS doesn't use the full 2GB, that
    part of main memory simply remains unused.

    The above isn't entirely correct; current-day Linux kernels can use 3GB
    for applications and 1GB for shared libraries and kernel.
    IIRC you still need to recompile the kernel to get that feature, and
    some RAM will still remain unused.

    Adressing all bytes on current-day disks requires more than 32 bits, so
    a 64-bit processor is usually a win for a database. A 64-bit OS can make
    that easier to do in practice, though in principle, one should be able
    to access the 64-bit registers even with a 32-bit OS.

    Agreed.

    Jo
    Joachim Guest

  4. #4

    On Apr 18, 11:39 pm, Walter Vaughan <com> wrote:

    > I, but unless you have more than 4 gig of memory, you really don't get a
    > gain from a 64bit OS vs. a 32bit. There are performance hits to look past the 4
    > gig window with a 32bit OS. In a 2 gig box, their is almost imperceptable
    > overhead of the 64bit OS, yet you have to also endure the lack of hardware
    > driver intergration, so you buy yourself trouble for no gain.[/ref]

    Thanks for that...

    Our server currently has 4gb memory but I can't rule out getting more
    in the future - I guess that puts us just on the borderline!

    I'm not to keen on downgrading to using 32-bit software, but failing
    finding a solution to this Chinese language searching plugin I may
    have to consider deploying a second server just for searching Chinese.

    .... except it would help if federated tables supported FULLTEXT
    search.

    In any case, thanks for your input!

  5. #5

    Hi,

    i compared an SuSE Oracle version of our producion environment
    on two identical servers.

    One was 32bit OS and database the other was 64 bit OS and database.

    The 32bit box was 20% faster than the 64 bit machine.

    main memory was 4 GB

    I am pretty shure you will see more performance with mysql on 32bit,

    kind regards,

    Toni

    --
    Posen fuer Anfaenger: http://www.w-klch.med.uni-muenchen.de/dischner