Professional Web Applications Themes

MySQl administration installation - MySQL

I downloaded MySQL adminstration from the MySQL site. I am trying to install this on Mandrake 10.1 Its giving me a configure: error: Library requirements (GTK+-2.0) not met; Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH enviroment variable error message etc. Yet whereis gtk-2.0 shows me I have it installed in /etc/gtk-2.0 and /usr/lib/gtk-2.0. What do I need to do to get ./configure working? Why can't configure seem my gtk-2.0 is installed in the usual places? -- So you want to fight the Master! First you must fight my brother Chang! Cheerful Charlie...

  1. #1

    Default MySQl administration installation

    --

    So you want to fight the Master!
    First you must fight my brother Chang!

    Cheerful Charlie

    wbarwell Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MySQl administration installation

    "wbarwell" <wbarwellmylinuxisp.com> wrote in message
    > What do I need to do to get ./configure
    > working? Why can't configure seem my gtk-2.0
    > is installed in the usual places?
    I'm not very knowledgeable about such things, but I found several
    discussions of similar errors by using Google to search for "gtk+-2.0.pc".
    That's the file pkg-config is looking for. This file may be in a nondefault
    location, so you need to add its folder to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

    Regards,
    Bill K.

    Bill Karwin Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    wbarwell Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    > Needless to say, MySQl is totally silent on their
    > site about this problem, at least if you want it
    > right, fast and now. Probably buried in some footnote
    > deep and hard to find.
    That gave me an idea; I tried the trick of "site:" in a Google search. I
    searched using this:
    site:bugs.mysql.com "PKG_CONFIG_PATH"

    And came up with this: [url]http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=7117[/url]
    "MySQL Administrator requires a GTK that is too bleeding edge"

    It's reported by another user using Mandrake Linux (9.1 in their case), who
    is also having troubles with GTK version conflicts while compiling
    MySQL-gui-common. Perhaps Mandrake just doesn't include the right set of
    libraries to make this build work.

    MySQL AB closed the bug report, with status "Won't fix." :-(

    If it were me, I'd try to use the MySQL Administrator pre-built binary for
    Linux, instead of building it from source. Unless this is on hardware other
    than Intel or AMD.

    Failing that, use MySQL Administrator on another non-Mandrake machine and
    connect remotely to the MySQL host. Though not all administration functions
    can be done remotely (such as starting the service).

    Failing that, use phpmyadmin or equivalent web-based administration tool.

    Regards,
    Bill K.

    Bill Karwin Guest

  5. #5

    Bill Karwin wrote:
    > "wbarwell" <wbarwellmylinuxisp.com> wrote in message
    >> Needless to say, MySQl is totally silent on their
    >> site about this problem, at least if you want it
    >> right, fast and now. Probably buried in some footnote
    >> deep and hard to find.
    >
    > That gave me an idea; I tried the trick of "site:" in a Google search. I
    > searched using this:
    > site:bugs.mysql.com "PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
    >
    > And came up with this: [url]http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=7117[/url]
    > "MySQL Administrator requires a GTK that is too bleeding edge"
    >
    > It's reported by another user using Mandrake Linux (9.1 in their case),
    > who is also having troubles with GTK version conflicts while compiling
    > MySQL-gui-common. Perhaps Mandrake just doesn't include the right set of
    > libraries to make this build work.
    >
    > MySQL AB closed the bug report, with status "Won't fix." :-(
    Grrrrrr! At least the could tell us WHAT gtk+-2.0.pc version works and
    where to get it!
    My problem is /usr/lib/pckconfig/ , where .pc files live has no
    gtk+-.2.0.pc. That's the problem.

    One could probably jigger .configure to look at gtk.2.0
    in /etc/, and continue, I might take a crack at that just for
    the hell of it. Maybe remove the gtk section in configure
    all together. Just to see. To get a static, somebody had to
    compile it so it can be done.

    Since about anybody that has installed the GIMP should
    have GTK-2.0 which was originally created for GIMP,
    it should work. GIMP however does not install gtk+-2.0.pc.
    MySQL admin apparently assumes somewhere along the line
    you have this installed.

    > If it were me, I'd try to use the MySQL Administrator pre-built binary for
    > Linux, instead of building it from source. Unless this is on hardware
    > other than Intel or AMD.
    >
    > Failing that, use MySQL Administrator on another non-Mandrake machine and
    > connect remotely to the MySQL host. Though not all administration
    > functions can be done remotely (such as starting the service).
    >
    > Failing that, use phpmyadmin or equivalent web-based administration tool.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bill K.
    Thank you for the efforts.