Professional Web Applications Themes

MySQL dual license policy - MySQL

I am new to the MySQL community. But after reading MySQL's dual license policy, I have the following hypothetical questions. 1. if there is a fix to a bug or a major feature is contributed to MySQL's "GPL-version" of the code, in theory, that enhancement should be protected under GPL. So, how can MySQL AB merge that enhancement into its commercial package, and keep the same release contents for both of its GPL and commercial packages? 2. What if somebody tick off another GPL project, say "OurSQL", which starts from the MySQL code base. Does that means "OurSQL" will be ...

  1. #1

    Default MySQL dual license policy

    I am new to the MySQL community. But after reading MySQL's dual license
    policy, I have the following hypothetical questions.

    1. if there is a fix to a bug or a major feature is contributed to
    MySQL's "GPL-version" of the code, in theory, that enhancement should
    be protected under GPL. So, how can MySQL AB merge that enhancement
    into its commercial package, and keep the same release contents for
    both of its GPL and commercial packages?

    2. What if somebody tick off another GPL project, say "OurSQL", which
    starts from the MySQL code base. Does that means "OurSQL" will be a
    totally GPL-licensed project, and can declared "independence" from
    MySQL AB?

    Ben

    Ben Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MySQL dual license policy

    Ben K wrote:

    AFAIK, they hold the copyright (licensor), so are free to license all
    code in question under multiple licenses. (This is an established
    model.)

    Yes - a.k.a. forking.

    toby Guest

  3. #3

    "Ben K" <com> wrote:

    If somebody asks MySQL AB to include his patch into MySQL (the program)
    then MySQL AB asks for the permission to use this patch in the
    commercial version of MySQL as well. If this permission is denied, the
    patch will make it neither in the GPL nor in the commercial version.

    So far only very few foreign code has been accepted in MySQL and all
    MySQL source code is owned by MySQL AB.

    That would be a code fork. This happened with other Open Source
    projects already. Sometimes the fork gets lost soon, sometimes the fork
    survives and the original gets lost, sometimes both survive. Nobody
    can tell beforehand :-)

    XL

    Online User Manual: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/
    MySQL User Forums: http://forums.mysql.com/
    Axel Guest

  4. #4

    Ben K wrote:

    When you submit a patch, you need to agree to the Contributor License Agreement.
    http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/Contributing
    http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_Contributor_License_Agreement
    If you don't, your patch is simply not accepted.
    The agreement gives MySQL AB the ownership of the contributed code, and thus they use it in their double license.

    Nobody can prevent that. It's part of the GPL way of doing things. If you feel that you need to fork and launch your own
    DBMS based on MySQL code, you can do it.

    ciao
    gmax

    --
    _ _ _ _