Professional Web Applications Themes

mysql logins - MySQL

Is there a log file or is there some way to create a log file to monitor logins to a MySQL server? Is there something that can be added in the my.cnf file or is there a default log which keeps this information? I am using MySQL 4.1. I am currently having trouble using AuthMYSQL on a apache web server and can't tell if it is even attempting to login. I can create a PHP page and login using the account and can use the local client to login, but it doesn't appear to be working with AuthMYSQL. I am ...

  1. #1

    Default mysql logins

    Is there a log file or is there some way to create a log file to
    monitor logins to a MySQL server?
    Is there something that can be added in the my.cnf file or is there a
    default log which keeps this information? I am using MySQL 4.1.

    I am currently having trouble using AuthMYSQL on a apache web server
    and can't tell if it is even attempting to login. I can create a PHP
    page and login using the account and can use the local client to login,
    but it doesn't appear to be working with AuthMYSQL. I am using the
    same .htaccess as I was for mysql 3.53 and transferred it over to a
    system with 4.1 and can't seem to get it to work.

    phwashington@comcast.net Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: mysql logins

    I tried to load the module mysql_auth_module in the httpd.conf file
    explicitly and I received the error
    module mysql_auth_module is already loaded, skipping
    upon restarting the system.

    phwashington@comcast.net Guest

  3. #3

    <phwashingtoncomcast.net> wrote in message
    news:1141612000.648167.276920i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > I am currently having trouble using AuthMYSQL on a apache web server
    > I am using the
    > same .htaccess as I was for mysql 3.53 and transferred it over to a
    > system with 4.1 and can't seem to get it to work.
    I don't know anything about AuthMYSQL, but I would guess you might be
    experiencing the issue doented here:
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html[/url]

    In other words, PHP cannot login to the MySQL database, to do the
    authentication for your web app.

    Regards,
    Bill K.

    Bill Karwin Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the page. I read through it and it indicates that if this
    problem occurs php will not be able to login. I can login with PHP,
    but AuthMYSQL doesn't appear to work. I looked at my password length
    and they are still old style. less than 16 characters. Thanks for the
    effort and the heads up. This will really put a kink in things if I
    upgrade to 5.0.

    phwashington@comcast.net Guest

  5. #5

    [email]phwashingtoncomcast.net[/email] wrote:
    > Is there a log file or is there some way to create a log file to
    > monitor logins to a MySQL server?
    The general log (--log) logs login attempts to MySQL. Both successful
    and unsuccessful.
    > I am currently having trouble using AuthMYSQL on a apache web server
    > and can't tell if it is even attempting to login.
    Where did you get mod_auth_mysql from? I remember there was a broken
    version floating around. But I compiled it several times back in the
    old days ...
    > I am using the
    > same .htaccess as I was for mysql 3.53 and transferred it over to a
    > system with 4.1 and can't seem to get it to work.
    What is "can't get it to work"? No login request from server? Access
    denied? Is there anything in the Apache error log?

    XL

    Online User Manual: [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/[/url]
    MySQL User Forums: [url]http://forums.mysql.com/[/url]
    Axel Schwenke Guest

  6. #6

    Following is the error that I see in the apache logs. Sorry I didn't
    include it earlier.

    in /var/log/httpd/error_log
    configuration error: couldn't check user. No user file?:
    /TEST/index.html

    phwashington@comcast.net Guest

  7. #7

    I must not have the correct setting in my.cnf because I looked in
    /var/log/mysqld.log and in /var/log/messages and cannot find anything
    for users logging in. The only thing I see are mysqld shutdowns and
    restarts.

    phwashington@comcast.net Guest

  8. #8

    [email]phwashingtoncomcast.net[/email] wrote:
    > Following is the error that I see in the apache logs. Sorry I didn't
    > include it earlier.
    >
    > in /var/log/httpd/error_log
    > configuration error: couldn't check user. No user file?:
    > /TEST/index.html
    Looks like you haven't loaded mod_auth_mysql into Apache.
    Check your httpd.conf. Some mod_auth_mysql settings can
    only be done there.

  9. #9

    [email]phwashingtoncomcast.net[/email] wrote:
    > I must not have the correct setting in my.cnf because I looked in
    > /var/log/mysqld.log and in /var/log/messages and cannot find anything
    > for users logging in. The only thing I see are mysqld shutdowns and
    > restarts.
    The general log has to be turned on explicitly by putting the
    --log option onto mysqld commandline or into my.cnf.

    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/query-log.html[/url]
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/option-files.html[/url]

  10. #10

    I created another log as per the option-files and when I log in on the
    local client and when I log in via a PHP page the login shows up. But
    whenever I go to a directory where I am trying to use AuthMYSQL no
    login shows up. So my current guess is that there is a problem with my
    configuration or mod_auth_mysql.
    I have read and tried to follow the directions in the mod_auth_mysql
    doentation and everything appears to be correct.

    phwashington@comcast.net Guest

  11. #11

    I found part of the problem which is the httpd.conf or .htaccess needs
    AuthMySQLEnable On

    I am now seeing logins and queries to the password database.table for
    the user password, but it now doesn't appear to be accepting the
    password.

    Update web_auth set passwd = PASSWORD('password') where user ='User1';

    I've gone through this and my guess now is that I have the encryption
    method incorrect.

    phwashington@comcast.net Guest

  12. #12

    Finally I got it, I couldn't get scrambled to work, but I got crypt to
    work which is good enough for now.

    Thanks for your help.

    phwashington@comcast.net Guest

  13. #13

    [email]phwashingtoncomcast.net[/email] wrote:
    > I found part of the problem which is the httpd.conf or .htaccess needs
    > AuthMySQLEnable On
    >
    > I am now seeing logins and queries to the password database.table for
    > the user password, but it now doesn't appear to be accepting the
    > password.
    >
    > Update web_auth set passwd = PASSWORD('password') where user ='User1';
    >
    > I've gone through this and my guess now is that I have the encryption
    > method incorrect.
    *PLEASE* read the mod_auth_mysql doentation.
    The default encryption for passwords is crypt().

    [url]http://modauthmysql.sourceforge.net/CONFIGURE[/url]