Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default MySql on Synology DS101g+

    I have MySql om my NAS DiskStation Synology DS101g+,
    but I'm new to MySql, så how do I access it, and with what?

    I have heard that I should fire commands like "CREATE DATABASE"
    at it, but with what?

    Henrik, Denmark

    Henrik \(Silkeborg\) Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MySql on Synology DS101g+

    "Henrik (Silkeborg)" <henrik_newsNOSPAMHERE@yahoo.dk> wrote in message
    >I have MySql om my NAS DiskStation Synology DS101g+,
    > but I'm new to MySql, så how do I access it, and with what?
    I looked briefly at Synology.com, I see that the device you mention is an
    external NAS device, not a server with an operating system as we know it.
    It uses firmware instead of an operating system, so it sounds like it's
    basically as smart as a telephone answering machine.

    As far as I know, this is not a platform on which you can run MySQL. What
    do you mean that you have MySQL on your DiskStation?

    Normally, one runs the MySQL service by installing software on a Linux,
    Windows, or UNIX server host. Describing all you need to know is not
    appropriate in a newsgroup.

    Read the installation instructions here:
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/installing.html[/url]
    And the tutorial here:
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html[/url]

    One way to use the Synology DiskStation is for externally mapped storage,
    but I recommend *strongly* against storing a live database on external
    storage, for reasons of performance and reliability. Instead, store the
    live database on the internal disks of a server host running Linux, Windows,
    or UNIX, and use the DiskStation for archiving database backups.

    Regards,
    Bill K.

    Bill Karwin Guest

  3. #3

    Well Bill: Go back and check again because their website is saying that
    the 101 series is "PHP/MySQL ready web-server ", and it looks like
    they've upgraded the print server to USB, which is usable now. The NAS
    market is changing constantly.

    Bill Karwin wrote:
    > "Henrik (Silkeborg)" <henrik_newsNOSPAMHERE@yahoo.dk> wrote in message
    > >I have MySql om my NAS DiskStation Synology DS101g+,
    > > but I'm new to MySql, så how do I access it, and with what?
    >
    > I looked briefly at Synology.com, I see that the device you mention is an
    > external NAS device, not a server with an operating system as we know it.
    > It uses firmware instead of an operating system, so it sounds like it's
    > basically as smart as a telephone answering machine.
    >
    > As far as I know, this is not a platform on which you can run MySQL. What
    > do you mean that you have MySQL on your DiskStation?
    >
    > Normally, one runs the MySQL service by installing software on a Linux,
    > Windows, or UNIX server host. Describing all you need to know is not
    > appropriate in a newsgroup.
    >
    > Read the installation instructions here:
    > [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/installing.html[/url]
    > And the tutorial here:
    > [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html[/url]
    >
    > One way to use the Synology DiskStation is for externally mapped storage,
    > but I recommend *strongly* against storing a live database on external
    > storage, for reasons of performance and reliability. Instead, store the
    > live database on the internal disks of a server host running Linux, Windows,
    > or UNIX, and use the DiskStation for archiving database backups.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bill K.
    mikedard Guest

  4. #4

    "mikedard" <testymail04-buy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:1140558974.670046.209180@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    Well Bill: Go back and check again because their website is saying that
    the 101 series is "PHP/MySQL ready web-server ", and it looks like
    they've upgraded the print server to USB, which is usable now. The NAS
    market is changing constantly.
    -----

    Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! Indeed yes, the NAS market evolves.

    Looking more closely at their DiskStation 101 series doentation PDF,
    there is a checkbox in the DiskStation's administration web interface for
    "Enable MySQL". I assume then that Synology has taken care of porting the
    MySQL software to their device, and it's already installed on the
    DiskStation.

    However, other than mentioning that checkbox, no other detail is available
    in the DiskStation manual. For instance, what version of MySQL do they use?
    What's the default root password, if any? Is port 3306 open on the
    DiskStation, or does the MySQL daemon run without networking support?

    Henrik the OP just needs to learn MySQL now. The tutorial at MySQL.com is
    as good a place as any to start.

    Regards,
    Bill K.

    Bill Karwin Guest