Professional Web Applications Themes

MySQL Query Browser URL Handler for Windows - MySQL

I got sick of maintaining a number of profiles in MySQL Query Browser, so I wrote a URL handler for it. It takes URLs in the form of mysql://username[:password]host[:port]/database, and fires up MySQL Query Browser for you. You can type that URL in your browser window, in the Start > Run dialog, in your explorer address bar, whatever. If you have need of other features (I was thinking about maybe adding a mysqladmin:// handler for MySQL Administrator) or encounter bugs, let me know The code assumes you have MySQL GUI Tools installed so that it can find the location of ...

  1. #1

    Default MySQL Query Browser URL Handler for Windows

    I got sick of maintaining a number of profiles in MySQL Query Browser,
    so I wrote a URL handler for it. It takes URLs in the form of
    mysql://username[:password]host[:port]/database, and fires up MySQL
    Query Browser for you. You can type that URL in your browser window,
    in the Start > Run dialog, in your explorer address bar, whatever.

    If you have need of other features (I was thinking about maybe adding a
    mysqladmin:// handler for MySQL Administrator) or encounter bugs, let
    me know The code assumes you have MySQL GUI Tools installed so that it
    can find the location of MySQL Query Browser in the registry, and it
    assumes you have access to write a registry key to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

    Source, binaries, and instructions are available at
    http://tgmayfield.com/projects/mysql/

    tgmayfield@gmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MySQL Query Browser URL Handler for Windows

    com wrote:

    Nice project, indeed. But please not that we recently switched to HKCU,
    for security reasons and you also should not write to HKCR. For
    compatibility to older versions it would be good, though, if you also
    could check HKCR (but not write).

    Note: there are several command line options you can use with MA and
    QB, e.g. give QB a file name and it will open that file in the script
    editor without opening a connection.

    Mike
    --
    www.mysql.com
    Mike Guest

  3. #3

    tgmayfield: Why dont you just logon to no database every time?

    Hey Mike,

    Noticed you have 45 Query Browser bugs assigned to you. 2 are mine and I
    have another 2 waiting to be verified.

    Whats the flow like for bug fixing on QB?

    Merry X-Mas
    Jared

    Jared Guest

  4. #4

    Jared wrote:

    The entire January is planned for QB to make it an RC and maybe even
    GA. Depends on what work remains (and also incoming reports for MA).
    Windows version is almost in RC state, Linux and OSX versions need more
    work yet, but at the end of January we should at least have RCs for all
    supported platforms.

    Mike
    --
    www.mysql.com
    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    Mike Lischke wrote:

    So you're recommending I find try to find the location of MySQL Query
    Browser/MySQL Administrator in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and if that fails,
    hit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? Can do. Is there any place local to the user
    to set up a URL/file association other than HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (so that
    it can work for somebody other than an administrator)?

    --Thomas

    tgmayfield Guest

  6. #6

    tgmayfield wrote:

    > So you're recommending I find try to find the location of MySQL Query
    > Browser/MySQL Administrator in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and if that fails,
    > hit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? Can do. Is there any place local to the user
    > to set up a URL/file association other than HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (so that
    > it can work for somebody other than an administrator)?
    >
    > --Thomas[/ref]

    Never mind. Just found HKCU\Software\Classes. I'll make those changes.
    Anything else you'd like to see?

    tgmayfield Guest

  7. #7

    tgmayfield wrote:

    Hmm, make sure to put private data into the application data folder for
    that user, not in the "Program Files" subfolder of your application.
    This is a bad habit of some software we should finally get rid of (I
    know that the server puts its my.ini file in the installation folder,
    this must yet be changed).

    Mike
    --
    www.mysql.com
    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    Mike Lischke wrote:

    > Hmm, make sure to put private data into the application data folder for
    > that user, not in the "Program Files" subfolder of your application.
    > This is a bad habit of some software we should finally get rid of (I
    > know that the server puts its my.ini file in the installation folder,
    > this must yet be changed).
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > www.mysql.com[/ref]

    None of this is ever stored. This isn't a profile handler, to store all
    the data for the user. It's a URL handler, to make it so the user can
    choose to store their data in an easier format and/or just type in a
    simple URL to open a connection. It locates MySQL Query Browser,
    disassembles the URL into its component parts, and starts QB with the
    proper arguments to open a connection to the database.

    tgmayfield Guest