Please excuse this post if you've already read it on
mailing.database.mysql - i just discovered these other groups. future
posts will be crossposted to all three groups at once!

I just installed MySQL 5, and its running great except that the query
cache is not working, despite the configuration excerpt from my "my.ini"
below:

query_cache_size=5M
query_cache_limit=2M
query_cache_min_res_unit=4096k
query_cache_type=1

From the MySQL command line, if I enter: SHOW VARIABLES LIKE
'have_query_cache';

I get:
+------------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+------------------+-------+
| have_query_cache | YES |
+------------------+-------+

Also, doing a: SHOW STATUS LIKE 'Qcache%'; gives me:

+-------------------------+---------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+-------------------------+---------+
| Qcache_free_blocks | 1 |
| Qcache_free_memory | 5234168 |
| Qcache_hits | 0 |
| Qcache_inserts | 0 |
| Qcache_lowmem_prunes | 0 |
| Qcache_not_cached | 450 |
| Qcache_queries_in_cache | 0 |
| Qcache_total_blocks | 1 |

I figure the "Qcache_free_blocks" and "Qcache_total_blocks" values of 1
are creating the problem; it's basically telling me that there are no
(okay, 1) free blocks to put my query. However, these values never
change.

The query cache is not vital to me, but it does improve performance, and
I'd like to get it going....

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips?

Thanks,
GM