Professional Web Applications Themes

MySql tion and network speed - MySQL

We purchased 2 new HP DL385 servers that will be used for MySQL 5 in a tion environment. Server 1 (Master) is connected gigabit to our Cisco 3550 core switch The Cisco 3550 core switch is connected gigabit over fiber to a Cisco 3548 switch in another building. Server 2 (Slave) is connected to the Cisco 3548 on a 100MB switched port. My question is whether or not the 100MB connection is going to be good enough to do tion, or if I have to invest in getting gigabit all the way to the slave server? Thanks for any input ...

  1. #1

    Default MySql tion and network speed

    We purchased 2 new HP DL385 servers that will be used for MySQL 5 in a
    tion environment.

    Server 1 (Master) is connected gigabit to our Cisco 3550 core switch

    The Cisco 3550 core switch is connected gigabit over fiber to a Cisco 3548
    switch in another building.

    Server 2 (Slave) is connected to the Cisco 3548 on a 100MB switched port.

    My question is whether or not the 100MB connection is going to be good
    enough to do tion, or if I have to invest in getting gigabit all the
    way to the slave server?

    Thanks for any input or experience you can share.

    - Chad J. Lemmer

    Chad J. Lemmer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MySql tion and network speed

    "Chad J. Lemmer" <cjlemmercharter.net> wrote:
    > My question is whether or not the 100MB connection is going to be good
    > enough to do tion, or if I have to invest in getting gigabit all the
    > way to the slave server?
    It depends on how much you write on the Master machine. To be more
    consise: how many and how big data modifying SQL statements you have.
    As a very rough estimation MySQL tion sends all data modifying
    *statements* from the master to each slave. No row data is sent (but
    this will change with row based tion, coming in 5.1). So if
    you delete 100GB rows on the master with TRUNCATE TABLE, only a few
    bytes are sent to the slave(s). However UPDATE and INSERT are more
    expensive in this respect.

    Typically MySQL tion is cpu bound rather than I/O bound, because
    all statements are serialized on the slave.

    XL
    Axel Schwenke Guest

  3. #3

    >We purchased 2 new HP DL385 servers that will be used for MySQL 5 in a
    >tion environment.
    >
    >Server 1 (Master) is connected gigabit to our Cisco 3550 core switch
    >
    >The Cisco 3550 core switch is connected gigabit over fiber to a Cisco 3548
    >switch in another building.
    >
    >Server 2 (Slave) is connected to the Cisco 3548 on a 100MB switched port.
    >
    >My question is whether or not the 100MB connection is going to be good
    >enough to do tion, or if I have to invest in getting gigabit all the
    >way to the slave server?
    So how much traffic in queries will the servers have? I can envision
    a setup where tion by slow dialup modem is more than enough
    (say, for the IP list of blocked mail servers). How up to date
    must the slave be? There's a difference between my address book
    (7 days for updates to take is not a big deal. I don't know if
    anyone has implemented tion by postal service or carrier
    pigeons, but it probably wouldn't be too slow.) and stock market
    quotes (10 minutes delay may be a VERY big deal).

    tion tends to be more CPU-intensive than network-intensive.
    If you update 10,000 rows, it doesn't send the 10,000 rows, it sends
    the query that updated 10,000 rows (which is much shorter, but the
    slave also has to go to the effort to figure out which 10,000 rows
    need changing and how).

    Gordon L. Burditt
    Gordon Burditt Guest

  4. #4

    Our current database (in Visual FoxPro) contains less than 10GB of data.
    We're just moving into MySQL as we re-design and re-write our current
    manufacturing (and accounting) system. We have about 150 users, so in
    comparison to what MySQL is capable of, I get the impression we're just
    touching the tip of the iceberg, at least for now until we get everything
    re-written and implemented.

    Thanks for all the info.

    - Chad J. Lemmer

    "Gordon Burditt" <gordonb.rwi7kburditt.org> wrote in message
    > >We purchased 2 new HP DL385 servers that will be used for MySQL 5 in a
    >>tion environment.
    >>
    >>Server 1 (Master) is connected gigabit to our Cisco 3550 core switch
    >>
    >>The Cisco 3550 core switch is connected gigabit over fiber to a Cisco 3548
    >>switch in another building.
    >>
    >>Server 2 (Slave) is connected to the Cisco 3548 on a 100MB switched port.
    >>
    >>My question is whether or not the 100MB connection is going to be good
    >>enough to do tion, or if I have to invest in getting gigabit all
    >>the
    >>way to the slave server?
    >
    > So how much traffic in queries will the servers have? I can envision
    > a setup where tion by slow dialup modem is more than enough
    > (say, for the IP list of blocked mail servers). How up to date
    > must the slave be? There's a difference between my address book
    > (7 days for updates to take is not a big deal. I don't know if
    > anyone has implemented tion by postal service or carrier
    > pigeons, but it probably wouldn't be too slow.) and stock market
    > quotes (10 minutes delay may be a VERY big deal).
    >
    > tion tends to be more CPU-intensive than network-intensive.
    > If you update 10,000 rows, it doesn't send the 10,000 rows, it sends
    > the query that updated 10,000 rows (which is much shorter, but the
    > slave also has to go to the effort to figure out which 10,000 rows
    > need changing and how).
    >
    > Gordon L. Burditt

    Chad J. Lemmer Guest