Professional Web Applications Themes

mysterious white space - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I've been troubleshooting this one for about 2 hours now (slow day at work), so it's entirely possibly I'm just too involved to see what's right in front of my face. So I won't be offended if the solution to my problem is that I'm a dummy. :) But here it is: I'm working in Illustrator CS. I have one layer with three sublayers: one line, one compound path, and one text. When I export to tif format, it crops the image appropriately except on the bottom edge, where there is an extra quarter inch or so of white space. ...

  1. #1

    Default mysterious white space

    I've been troubleshooting this one for about 2 hours now (slow day at work), so it's entirely possibly I'm just too involved to see what's right in front of my face. So I won't be offended if the solution to my problem is that I'm a dummy. :) But here it is:

    I'm working in Illustrator CS. I have one layer with three sublayers: one line, one compound path, and one text. When I export to tif format, it crops the image appropriately except on the bottom edge, where there is an extra quarter inch or so of white space. This white space appears below the text layer, which is the bottom element in the image (the line and the compound path sit just above the text).

    Naturally, I figured I had the text's frame sized larger than the text itself, and that Illustrator was cropping to the frame rather than the edge of the text. I make that mistake all the time. But that was not the case, the text frame is hugging the text.

    I knew there couldn't be an invisible element in the background because there were only three sublayers, one for each of the three objects in the image.

    So next I checked the other non-text elements. Their frames were also correct and not the right size to explain the mystery white space.

    When I do a 'select-all' it grabs the three objects, and the bounding box hugs them appropriately, right where I'd like the edge of the tif image to be. No sign of the white space.

    Feeling stumped I wanted to determine which of the three elements was causing the problem. I saved the file into three copies, and deleted two layers from each, so that each copied file had one of the three sublayers that the original contained. I exported each to tif and sure enough, the file with the text element had the same mysterious white space below it (the other two cropped appropriately).

    I have since tried changing the font, size, and horizontal scale (the three settings that weren't set to default or zero). All to no avail.

    Of course there's an easy workaround, that being to Object>Crop Area>Make or to crop it in Photoshop afterwards. But I'd still like to know what could be causing this problem. Anyone experienced something like it before?
    Denny_Wagner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: mysterious white space

    If you outline the text does it still happen?
    If you convert the stroke to fill does it still happen?
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Is there an Affect or Filter applied to the text. Raster effects can spread out much her than visible on the screen. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    It's the room that the font needs for the descenders. The line height has that height added to it whether there's a descender or not.
    Bert Guest

  5. #5

    Bert:

    He said that the space goes beyond the bounding box which leaves space for descenders. On the other hand, I seem to be descending into confusion way beyond my bounding box. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Try this:

    Save as tif;

    Outline font, now save as tif again.

    I rest my case.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  7. #7

    Bert:

    All I was suggesting was that in both cases the tif edges, although different in your examples, respect the Illustrator bounding box. If the boundaries go beyond the box then something else must be there. I think... steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    There are no filters or effects in play here. I even tried recreating the text element from scratch and it's still happening.

    Also, I don't think it's descender space, as the mysterious white space seems too large for that. But I won't rule it out either. I'll play around with that and some of the other suggestions here when I get into work tomorrow.
    Denny_Wagner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Denny,

    Have you looked for stray points and other invisibilities (Ctrl+A)?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Jacob:
    Yep (see my original message).
    Denny_Wagner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Nobody reads the original message.
    Bert Guest

  12. #12

    Well I think Bert's initial hunch was right. When I place the cursor in the text object (as if I were going to edit the text), the cursor extends a fair amount below the baseline and even some above it (which seems odd because the text is in all caps so there shouldn't be a need for any further ascender space). I then checked the export I'd done of just that one object, and sure enough there was a similar amount of whitespace both below and above the text.

    I then tried Bert's suggestion to outline the text and then re-export. Sure enough, that worked. I think it's dumb that that's causing it, but I'll accept it and move on. :)

    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    Denny_Wagner@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Denny:

    I'm not sure because I haven't tried this, but I suspect that there's also extra line space included at the bottom of your text container... Whether that's the case or something else doesn't really matter at this point, seeing as you've found a workable solution.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  14. #14

    Nobody reads the original message.

    Some do, and forget part of it, sorry.

    Denny, I am afraid it is mysterious. Quoting Bert again,

    I'm not sure because I haven't tried this, but I suspect that there's
    also extra line space included at the bottom of your text container...

    This cannot be the case because then the white space would also show up when the text is selected or Ctrl+A is used, which is not the case, as you will see if you read the original message.

    If this was a CS bug I believe it would have been noted before.

    So maybe you should consider replacing/deleting the AIPrefs file.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Sounds to me you accidently drew a point with the pen tool or some drawing tool on the layer. Creating a invisable mark.
    Either go to your layers table and click on the layer with your mistery expanded box and find your mark then delete the mark or use your outline arrow tool and highlight a big enough area that it will include the space that is being saved. It will then show your mark.

    Every Layer will show everything you do in illustrator if you expand the individual layer.

    Find your accidental mark and grab it and throw it in the trash can!

    Should take care of your problem
    dperk001@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    dperk:

    Nobody reads post #1, let alone the whole thread. Stray points were ruled out earlier. Get with the program, now...

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  17. #17

    Thank you Bert and am caught up now.

    Anyways Denny if you haven't figured it out, send me the file.
    I am curious and would love to help out if I can, it beats getting yelled at. ;)
    dperk001@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    dperk:

    That wasn't yelling...