Professional Web Applications Themes

mystery of the vanishing internet - Mac Networking

I see the internet via sbcglobal DSL using a SpeedStream DSL modem and a Netgear router which is doing PPPoE (so that my computers just use DHCP). Every so often (once a week?) the internet completely vanishes (e.g. if I try to go to a web site in a browser, Safari just "hangs"), and the only way to get it back is to turn off *all* the equipment - the DSL modem, the router, and the computers - and wait five minutes. When I power everything back up, it works again. Now I don't really care what's causing this because ...

  1. #1

    Default mystery of the vanishing internet

    I see the internet via sbcglobal DSL using a SpeedStream DSL modem and a
    Netgear router which is doing PPPoE (so that my computers just use
    DHCP). Every so often (once a week?) the internet completely vanishes
    (e.g. if I try to go to a web site in a browser, Safari just "hangs"),
    and the only way to get it back is to turn off *all* the equipment - the
    DSL modem, the router, and the computers - and wait five minutes. When I
    power everything back up, it works again.

    Now I don't really care what's causing this because I have a perfectly
    reliable solution when it happens. But still, I'm curious. Does anyone
    know what the cause is? Thx - m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    AppleScript: The Definitive Guide

  2. #2

    Default Re: mystery of the vanishing internet

    In article <1gdu2rg.fipni2ewedy8N%com>, matt neuburg
    <com> wrote:

    Just a guess, but perhaps your ISP is renewing the DHCP lease on your
    account and your modem or router isn't able to deal with it.
    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    Dave Balderstone <balderstone.ca> wrote:

    > Just a guess, but perhaps your ISP is renewing the DHCP lease on your
    > account and your modem or router isn't able to deal with it.[/ref]

    Hmm, that's probably it; in that case, the next time it happens I'll see
    if renewing the lease in the Network pref pane helps.... m.

  4. #4

    matt neuburg wrote:

    Or renewing it via the admin "website" in your router, if any.
    Although my experience is that renewing at the router or
    computer doesn't work during those "dead-times" when the ISP's
    gateway is renewing your lease.
    George Guest

  5. #5

    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > Or renewing it via the admin "website" in your router, if any.
    > Although my experience is that renewing at the router or
    > computer doesn't work during those "dead-times" when the ISP's
    > gateway is renewing your lease.[/ref]

    OK, thx. At least now I have a mental picture of what's happening that
    makes sense of the matter. m.

  6. #6

    In article <1gdu629.1yulwuz1nyf0zqN%com>,
    com (matt neuburg) wrote:

    > > Just a guess, but perhaps your ISP is renewing the DHCP lease on your
    > > account and your modem or router isn't able to deal with it.[/ref]
    >
    > Hmm, that's probably it; in that case, the next time it happens I'll see
    > if renewing the lease in the Network pref pane helps.... m.[/ref]

    That'd only renew the lease your router is giving your Mac. The real
    problem's probably your DSL modem not properly handling a renewal (or
    something) from SBC.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  7. #7

    In article <tph-501BFB.21093315052004localhost>, Tom Harrington
    <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    In which case a reset of the modem should work, but oughtn't the ISP be
    able to push a reset to it? Or maybe there's a firmware update that
    hasn't been done?

    djb
    Dave Guest

  8. #8

    matt neuburg wrote:

    I have another theory. I had similar (may be the same) problem
    with Netgear. I searched on the netgear discussion forum and
    found that, there was some interoperability problems with Mac.
    The recommended solution was to upgrade the firmware on the
    netgear. After the upgrade, the connection was never lost.

    Ansari
    Ansari Guest

  9. #9

    Ansari Mohamed <com> wrote:

    > I have another theory. I had similar (may be the same) problem
    > with Netgear. I searched on the netgear discussion forum and
    > found that, there was some interoperability problems with Mac.
    > The recommended solution was to upgrade the firmware on the
    > netgear. After the upgrade, the connection was never lost.[/ref]

    That is very helpful, but alas, I'm using the latest firmware for my
    model. m.