Professional Web Applications Themes

Nav. Bar Help !! - Macromedia Fireworks

What's Up, I'm new to Firewroks MX. We are making a webpage for our school. I created a Nav. Bar in Fireworks, and created my own buttons. I wanted to know how to group all these buttons together. Because when I try to put it in Dreamweaver MX it is not creating them as one file. Here is what I have: http://home.comcast.net/~venkat60/ Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Nav. Bar Help !!

    What's Up,
    I'm new to Firewroks MX. We are making a webpage for our school. I created a Nav. Bar in Fireworks, and created my own buttons. I wanted to know how to group all these buttons together. Because when I try to put it in Dreamweaver MX it is not creating them as one file.

    Here is what I have:

    http://home.comcast.net/~venkat60/

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    kutty18 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nav. Bar Help !!

    kutty--

    What you should be getting when you export the file from Fireworks is an
    HTML file that contains the links to all the image files. When that HTML
    file is inserted into a Dreamweaver page the whole nav bar is held
    together inside a table and the JavaScript for the rollovers and the
    pop-up menus are brought into the page as well. That seems to be working
    OK to me.

    What's not working are the popup menus, and that's not unusual. In fact,
    I'd say it's unusual if you get them to work correctly the first time at
    all. Anyway, they look odd because the file called mm_menu.js is not in
    the same folder as the page where you're using the menus. Locate that
    file, copy it into each and every folder that has pages using the nav
    bar and it should work OK.

    I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you that these menus can be a real pain
    to work with. Easy to create, but difficult to implement. I'd encourage
    you to look at the tutorials at www.projectseven.com, and especially the
    Simple Seven menus, to learn how to make your own. In the short run
    they'll take you a little longer to put together. In the long run you'll
    be saving yourself one major headache. You can still use the nice nav
    bar images that you made, but the drop down menus will be much easier to
    work with. Here's a school website that uses that method:

    www.rooseveltmiddle.com

    Good luck!

    --
    Kim Cavanaugh
    author, Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks

    Kim Guest

  3. #3

    Kim,

    Thank you for the prompt reply. I will check in to that tommorow. It's 10:30 pm now. If I have any problems, I might "bug" again. But, anyhow, thanks for the reply.

    KP

    kutty18 Guest

  4. #4

    Kim,

    I worked on the Nav. Bar in Fireworks and got it finished with help of www.projectseven.com. And I also exported the file as "HTML and Images". But, I don't know which code to copy to Dreamweaver. It said in the code of the Fireworks file to "Start Copying Here" ... and "Stop Copying Here", but it only copies it as an image not as a navigational bar.

    Here are the files.

    Home Page where I'm trying to add the Nav. Bar - http://home.comcast.net/~venkat60/# (the cool background image is not showing (it's in CSS), but that has nothing to do with the Nav. Bar)

    The Fireworks Nav. Bar - http://home.comcast.net/~venkat60/main_navbar.htm (they are not yet hyperlinked)

    Projectseven is really a great tutorial website, I learned a lot in just doing a couple of tutorials.

    Thanks,
    KP

    kutty18 Guest

  5. #5

    kutty--

    Actually, unless you want to work directly in the code you don't have to
    copy and paste anything. Just insert the Fireworks HTML file at the
    insertion point of the page where you want the menu to appear.

    It's entirely possible that the problesm you're seeing have to do with
    the host you're using as much as anything. If your page previews OK
    locally (as in choose File > Open in your broswer and not using the
    preview function built into DW) then my guess would be that there is an
    issue with your host.

    You've got an awful lot going on in that page. A Flash banner And a java
    applet AND the pop-up menu! Whew! You're really loading up that page
    with all the goodies. Are you sure you need all that? More importantly,
    do you know how those choices will impact your viewer's expereince at
    your site? I for one don't know of too many compelling reasons to use a
    Java applet, but that may be my own prejudice.

    Anyway, keep pluggin away at those Project VII tutorials. And really
    have a hard look at what you absolutely must have in your page design
    and jettison everything that is window dressing. You'll be much happier
    in the long run.

    Kim

  6. #6

    Well...

    I finished designing all the pages and navigational bars for the website. I also took your advice and took the Java Applet off. I didn't post the website yet because I don't how to hyperlink the files using Fireworks.

    For example, if I want to link the "Home" button to "index.html", how do I do it in Fireworks. Do I use Absolute links.

    kutty18 Guest

  7. #7

    You don't do it in FW. You do it in DW. Select the home button and use the
    Property inspector to browse to and select the desired page.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    "kutty18" <com> wrote in message
    the website. I also took your advice and took the Java Applet off. I didn't
    post the website yet because I don't how to hyperlink the files using
    Fireworks.
    I do it in Fireworks. Do I use Absolute links.

    Murray Guest