Professional Web Applications Themes

NCurses shared libs overburden - UNIX Programming

I have this multiplayer net snake race game that I would like to make work with multiple platforms, amongst others with curses. Well, this game is planned to be played mostly at our university server, which means on one machine that we are all accessing by SSH Client or XWin-client. Here is my problem. If more than, for example, 5 players log in at different times on our snake-server, the game is ok. But then, when new map is loaded, every client needs to make a new ncurses window for it's self, and that's where the game fails to work ...

  1. #1

    Default NCurses shared libs overburden

    I have this multiplayer net snake race game that I would like to make
    work with multiple platforms, amongst others with curses. Well, this
    game is planned to be played mostly at our university server, which
    means on one machine that we are all accessing by SSH Client or
    XWin-client.

    Here is my problem. If more than, for example, 5 players log in at
    different times on our snake-server, the game is ok. But then, when
    new map is loaded, every client needs to make a new ncurses window for
    it's self, and that's where the game fails to work right. What
    actually happens is that almost all the windows be monochrome, and
    when destroying these structures on next resetting or game end, the
    process get SIGSEGV. I used gdb and found out that it generates it
    when trying to delwin() * WINDOW.

    The only idea of mine is that perhaps libncurses.so get's overburdened
    and it fails to give resources to all the players, since they are all
    actually at one machine, and it's just one libncurses.so. Also, they
    practicaly all request memory from it at the same moment. We don't
    have seperate unix machines with networks to try if it will fail that
    way, so I am asking you what you think if this could be the problem?

    Thanks in advance,
    Darko
    Darko Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: NCurses shared libs overburden

    rcub.bg.ac.yu (Darko M.) writes:

    An architecture problem.

    Why don't you have a game server and game clients? Then the game
    clients with the rendering engine (be it ncurse or opengl) can each
    run on a different workstation, and the network traffic is limited to
    a consise game state and commands dispatched between the clients and
    the server.

    --
    __Pascal_Bourguignon__ http://www.informatimago.com/
    There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't

  3. #3

    Perhaps the players are using dump terminals and 300 baud modems.
    Alexandre Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>, Darko M. wrote:
    I'd say program bug. You'd pretty much use up all virtual memory
    before you run out of memory..
    Nils Guest

  5. #5

    Alexandre Jasmin <ca> writes:

    > Perhaps the players are using dump terminals and 300 baud modems.[/ref]

    Even in that case it may be worthwhile to have a server process and
    serveral client processes. Unless the CPU is a IBM 3031 with CICS
    where you'd be better with a transactionnal application, but then you
    can't be so "interactive"...

  6. #6

    >I'd say program bug. You'd pretty much use up all virtual memory

    I don't think that's the problem, 'cause I don't notice any speed
    problems nor HDD problems, but I'll still check out if that's the
    problem, anyway, though I don't think so.

    game
    each
    and

    I actually DO have seperate clients and a server. The problem is that
    they will all be most often run at the same machine, on different
    terminals ( by a terminal I mean pseudo terminals, eg. telnet or SSH
    client ), and that's where the problem ( I suppose ) comes up.

    Darko
    Darko Guest