Professional Web Applications Themes

Need a partition program - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:20:03 +0000, Megaperson1590 wrote: > Hello, I'm an avid comp user who wants to try out Caldera Linux to see if Linux > is better than Windows but I'm having trouble finding a good partitioning > program. Fips doesn't seem to work and I can't obtain Partition Magic. Your > help would be appreciated. you can download (and ck ;-) the acronis partition expert utility. it can create boot cdrom, so you dont even need the grate windows 95 spagi...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Need a partition program

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:20:03 +0000, Megaperson1590 wrote:
    > Hello, I'm an avid comp user who wants to try out Caldera Linux to see if Linux
    > is better than Windows but I'm having trouble finding a good partitioning
    > program. Fips doesn't seem to work and I can't obtain Partition Magic. Your
    > help would be appreciated.
    you can download (and ck ;-) the acronis partition expert utility.
    it can create boot cdrom, so you dont even need the grate windows 95
    spagi
    spagi Guest

  2. #2

    Megaperson1590 wrote:
    > Hello, I'm an avid comp user who wants to try out Caldera Linux to see
    > if Linux is better than Windows but I'm having trouble finding a good
    > partitioning program. Fips doesn't seem to work and I can't obtain
    > Partition Magic. Your help would be appreciated.

    Get Mandrake 9.1 instead.

    Its installer will non-destructively shrink windows partitions
    (including the ntfs filesystem used by Win2000 and WinXP) to make space
    for linux in the size that you specify and will also automatically set
    up a dual boot system when it detects the presence of a windows
    bootable partition.

    You don't need a third party partition program.

    Clive Dove Guest

  3. #3

    Megaperson1590 wrote:
    > Hello, I'm an avid comp user who wants to try out Caldera Linux to see if
    > Linux is better than Windows but I'm having trouble finding a good
    > partitioning program. Fips doesn't seem to work and I can't obtain
    > Partition Magic. Your help would be appreciated.
    ..... just because SCO is being a horse's backside, i wouldnt
    DARE install any product associated with them. do mandrake or
    redhat or suse

    Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, # Black holes result
    skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux", # when God divides the
    "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed" # universe by zero

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    Mitch wrote:

    > Clive Dove wrote:
    >> Megaperson1590 wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello, I'm an avid comp user who wants to try out Caldera Linux to
    >>>see if Linux is better than Windows but I'm having trouble finding a
    >>>good partitioning program. Fips doesn't seem to work and I can't
    >>>obtain Partition Magic. Your help would be appreciated.
    >>

    >> Get Mandrake 9.1 instead.
    >>
    >> Its installer will non-destructively shrink windows partitions
    >> (including the ntfs filesystem used by Win2000 and WinXP) to make
    >> space for linux in the size that you specify and will also
    >> automatically set up a dual boot system when it detects the presence
    >> of a windows bootable partition.
    >>
    >> You don't need a third party partition program.
    >
    > Hey Clive,
    >
    > I am running XP right now and want to install Mandrake 9.1
    > Will the mandrake install CD automatically partition my disk for me so
    > I can install it???

    Only if the version you are installing is Mandrake 9.1.

    Previous versions could non-destructively partition windows partitions
    but not partitions formatted as ntfs. That is a new feature in 9.1.

    Caveat: If you have a machine that was preloaded with XP, you will not
    have a full XP install disk but only a recovery disk or if you purchase
    it, a restore disk. Both of these disks assume that the owner of the
    machine will never repartition it and so if they have to be used, the
    recovery disk won't work unless you have run the restore disk and when
    you run the restor disk, it puts your partitioning back into the state
    that it was when it left the factory.

    That is not a problem for linux or for any other disk partitioner, but
    rather a problem with the standard agreement that Microsoft has thrust
    upon the OEMs. It is obviously another technique to discourage adding
    other operating systems to a preloaded system.

    Clive Dove Guest

  5. #5

    > Caveat: If you have a machine that was preloaded with XP, you will not
    > have a full XP install disk but only a recovery disk or if you purchase
    > it, a restore disk. Both of these disks assume that the owner of the
    > machine will never repartition it and so if they have to be used, the
    > recovery disk won't work unless you have run the restore disk and when
    > you run the restor disk, it puts your partitioning back into the state
    > that it was when it left the factory.
    >
    > That is not a problem for linux or for any other disk partitioner, but
    > rather a problem with the standard agreement that Microsoft has thrust
    > upon the OEMs. It is obviously another technique to discourage adding
    > other operating systems to a preloaded system.

    You got that right Clive, lets hope the guys at xxcopy.com manage to work
    out how to clone xp and enable most new Megasnot customers (who dont want to
    buy a separate CD) the ability to add new operating systems, upgrade disks
    and make proper backups.

    silly Guest