Professional Web Applications Themes

Need a starting point - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

I've been designing print and packaging for a while, and have done some Flash development for my current company. I want to revise our company's site to be more search-engine friendly because all of the content is currently in Flash. I've heard of people building a complete Flash site that is very "searchable" but I really want to use this opportunity to get back to some HTML fundamentals that I lost through my years designing print and animating. I've been reading a lot of these forums and it seems like everyone is really big on CSS. Now that it seems ...

  1. #1

    Default Need a starting point

    I've been designing print and packaging for a while, and have done some Flash
    development for my current company. I want to revise our company's site to be
    more search-engine friendly because all of the content is currently in Flash.
    I've heard of people building a complete Flash site that is very "searchable"
    but I really want to use this opportunity to get back to some HTML fundamentals
    that I lost through my years designing print and animating. I've been reading
    a lot of these forums and it seems like everyone is really big on CSS. Now that
    it seems to have taken over as a common foundation I'm left wondering where I
    should start in rebuilding my company's website. Is a CSS based site going to
    give me more flexibility than not using it at all? I know you can use it to
    keep styles better organized, but that it's not necessary to always use it(From
    my understanding, it's all or none). Also, my HTML is a little rusty so I need
    a little advice on current literature that is appropriate for someone who
    hasn't done a lot of HTML in over five years. (Feeling a little rusty these
    days) I really need a refresher, with a lot of emphasis on the latest
    developments in HTML over the last few years. Any recommendations would be
    extremely awesome!

    Even if I rarely comment, I've learned a lot from this forum. It's actually
    the motivation behind me changing my company's website. It takes a lot of
    stress away knowing there are experts in the field that are willing to
    sacrifice their time to help others. Thanks to all of you!! (I would say "In
    advance", but the people on this forum have already been a huge help.)

    SWFkidd Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need a starting point

    > Is a CSS based site going to give me more flexibility than not using it at

    Certainly.

    Depending on exactly what you mean, that's likely a misunderstanding.

    By all means, do the following -

    1. Remember that the web page is NOT a printed page - it's fluid and
    changeable in the visitor's browser.
    2. Visit http://www.w3schools.com, and get your HTML muscles in shape.
    3. Then review these sites for some CSS perspective -

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/qdmacfly/index.htm
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/dreamweaver/css.html
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/tableless_layout_dw8.html
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/css_concepts.html

    Now, you're ready to go to work.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "SWFkidd" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the quick feedback, and sorry for my delay. I think once I get
    started back into the code, and pick up a little CSS along the way I'll be set.
    What I meant about all or nothing was that when you sit down to start a
    website, you should either choose to use CSS from the beginning, or not use it
    at all. Or is it easy to implement CSS on an existing website that doesn't use
    it?

    SWFkidd Guest

  4. #4

    It's certainly easier to start out the right way, than it is to retrofit it
    to a site that was begun suboptimally.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "SWFkidd" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  5. #5

    >It's certainly easier to start out the right way, than it is to retrofit it

    I'm definitely going to adapt to CSS from the start. I've recently accepted a
    freelance project that could benefit hugely from it as well. Actually, the
    person who is going to be helping me design the site says that I would be
    foolish to continue web-design without learning it. So, on to do some
    learning. My wife thinks I'm crazy to be so excited about learning code, but
    then again she might be right!!

    Thanks again for the support!

    SWFkidd Guest

  6. #6

    Good luck! Check back periodically with your progress!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    > I'm definitely going to adapt to CSS from the start. I've recently
    > accepted a
    > freelance project that could benefit hugely from it as well. Actually, the
    > person who is going to be helping me design the site says that I would be
    > foolish to continue web-design without learning it. So, on to do some
    > learning. My wife thinks I'm crazy to be so excited about learning code,
    > but
    > then again she might be right!!
    >
    > Thanks again for the support!
    >[/ref]